What's new

Recommend me - Battery and charger for SVD?

MightyMouth

Postman
The SVD Kit doesn't come with a battery or charger so I need to purchase them seperately, can I get some recommendations? I dont know anything about the batteries as far as quality or if there is much difference between the brand so any info would be great.

Would stick with AW IMR batteries and use an xtar charger, they are a bit more money than others but safe and quality

Hey mark, Thanks for the info. Are these batteries and this charger ok? How long would it take to charge an 18650 battery with this do you think?

Also do you know of anywhere I can get the same cheaper?

Last edited:
Mighty the batteries are good,,, as fr the charger yes it will work fine, but never having used that model I know most do get it being a two way.... but it says usb powered ??? is it not mains as that would make it take any hours to charge I'm sure !

edit sorry its a single battery charger not two way..my mistake

I have the xtar WP2 about £6 more but mains and you can charge 2 batteries at once great for 18350 and 18650

i fought this battle in my mind for ages, i was going to go with the xtar wp2 and an xtar battery, but they had the efest biocharger and batteries at vaperstall when i went at the weekend so i grabbed one of them an an 18650, so that should do the trick for me (the only real reason i wanted the xtar was the usb output feature, but it turns out the efest has that too)

Mighty the batteries are good,,, as fr the charger yes it will work fine, but never having used that model I know most do get it being a two way.... but it says usb powered ??? is it not mains as that would make it take any hours to charge I'm sure !

edit sorry its a single battery charger not two way..my mistake

Yea I wanted the USB option and I assume I can just plug the usb into a USB Mains adapter to charge via mains

For a charger I'd go for a Nitecore i2 or i4 Intellicharger
http://www.ecigwizard.com/accessories/bc/chargers/nitecore-intellicharge-i4-charger.html

& for batteries I use unprotected Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh in my Vamo, I can get more than 2 days out of them, & I tend to chain vape.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Panaso...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item43b926ce50

Thanks, that charger might be an option as I want to be able to charge it in my campervan and was going to go with the USB one but the one you linked seems better. What is the difference between a protected and an unprotected battery?

I know the Nitecore i4 also comes with a car cigarette lighter as well as a mains lead.

Edit. on the i4 2 of the bays are linked. Bay 1 & bay 3 are linked to each other. Bay 2 & bay 4 are linked to each other. So if you want to charge 2 batteries (the same) using bay 1 & bay 3 will take twice as long to charge than it would if you used bay 1 & bay 2.

Lifted from a torch website
The primary difference between the Protected and Unprotected batteries is that the protected batteries have a small circuit board, typically on the bottom of the battery, that stops the charging or discharge of the battery in certain circumstances. Some of the circumstances in which the circuit include: Over-Charge, Over-Discharge, Short-Circuit, and in some cases, overheating. Over-charge protection cuts off the charging process at 4.2V, while over-discharge protection cuts off the battery at 2.8V. UNPROTECTED lithium batteries produce 4.2 volts of power when fully charged, then quickly fall to 3.6 volts output. They output 3.6 volts until they are mostly discharged, at which point the voltage falls rapidly. If they are discharged below 3 volts, they will be ruined and no longer usable. The user must be very careful not to let this occur.

Now for us what this means is, that if you are using an electronic device (typically VV or VW) that has protection circuitry built into the device (such as a Vamo) then you want to be using unprotected batteries.
If you are using a mechanical mod that has none of this fancy electronic trickery then you want to be using a protected battery.

Or to put it another way, I use unprotected batteries in my Vamo because the Vamo is protected. & I use protected batteries in my bike lights, because they are cheapo chinese crap (best & cheapest lights I've ever had) without any protection circuitry in them

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom