What's new

Obs engine 2 lacking flavour

So, bought myself some Ni80 flatware, and my local (to home) is now stocking the texas wick again which I used to use, so got some of that.

Oddly, the 3mm coils/cbv2 I have in seem to have gradually bedded in a bit, so flavour is slighlty improved.
I've done myself some 7 wrap flatwork coils to fit later, but fancied a pint or 2 down the local, so what I have will do until later!

I did wonder if perhaps having used the kylin mini for so long, which is amazing flavour albeit a leaky mofo, for so long that my benchmark is a bit off. I mean, sometimes it was almost like drinking the juice.

Still, nice to have it in my pocket for an 8 min walk without it swimming in a puddle of its own juice.

I'm tooting on my OBS engine V2 at the moment. (2.5mm 5x5 wrap 24awg kantal twisted coils CB V2 cotton) loads of flavour...

Keep trying I'm sure you will get there.

ok, so thought i'd persevere for a while before reporting back.

I've now rebuilt this tank over 20 times I reckon. Latest attempts were higher resistance Kanthal coils (tried around 0.2 ohm then circa 0.4 ohms, 2.5mm 5 -7 wraps attempted to vary it up a bit. NOT using CB2 cotton, using Texas wick, then again with CB2 (no difference). Flavour was slightly improved on the e0.4 coils, but nothing to write home about. Tried again using larger 3mm diameter. Then again positioning the coils as high up as could get without shorting on the posts, then in the middle, then as low as possible. Tried different flavours just to make sure it wasn't me getting to used to my normal dailies. Tried fluffing/not fluffing/thinning the ends, you name it.

Fucks sake. Went and bought a Crown 3 tank and coils to use in the meantime in between builds as I dont' get much time to vape anyway, and when I do I want to vape and enjoy it, not sit pissing about ripping coils and wick in and out. Flavour on that is very good by the way.

Think I'm going to give up and simply put up with my Kylin mini and it's tempramental wicking/leaking, as this OBS engine 2 seems to be the most overhyped and underperforming tank I've owned, annoyingly, as the no leaking thing is really superb - but there's little point if it doesn't deliver on the flavour front.

Last edited:
Try some different cotton. Just go to Boots and get some regular cotton pads or their organic if you'd prefer, although it makes no difference as all cotton wool products sold for human use in the UK are sterilised prior to packaging anyway. I have tried a some Cotton Bacon and I find until it beds in it tastes like sucking a damp flannel.

Have you tried the Scottish Roll method of wick making? I have recently gone over to it and am getting much better flavour, I do it using the Organic Cotton makeup pads you can buy in the Range, £1 for 120.
I was wondering what is so special about vaping cotton and why nobody says to try to cheap stuff from boots.
What is the Scottish Roll method?

ok, so thought i'd persevere for a while before reporting back...

Sorry to hear you're having issues with it, I never owned a Kylin so can't compare but I've had success with the Engine 2 myself and I find it a pleasant tank to use. How long or short are you cutting your wicks ? I've seen some Youtube reviews of the Engine 2 and the reviewers were cutting the wicks about the length to the outer of the deck or even the outer of the base of the tank which I found was way too long and killed the flavour. I leave mine really short, I align my scissors roughly with the inner base of the deck, rather than the outer where the threads for the top cap are and snip the tails off. No raking or additional thinning or anything, just a fluff and tuck. I also use very little cotton and the coils I use are 2.5mm ID ( or 2mm, can't recall exactly ), 4 wrap and spaced. Initially it may seem like theres not enough cotton and on first fill it spits a bit but after a few toots the spitting stops when the cotton has expanded, it might take a few goes to get it right but the way I gauge it is I make sure the cotton slides into the coil with little resistance without being loose to a point that it'll fly out if you sneeze at it.

The wire I use is this stuff: https://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/prod...8-AWG-Wrap---5-Metre--15ft--1908.html#SID=185

Its a pretty thin wire which helps keep the resistance a bit higher since with a thicker wire you naturally have to increase the inner diameter and wraps to keep the ohms from dropping too low. I've tried chunkier wires and bigger builds but felt they ran a bit hot, took a while to heat up and were a hassle to cram in. This tank imo seems to prefer less metal inside it since the deck is surprisingly cramped. If you still got the coils that came with the tank, give them a go and see how you get on. I think they are about 2mm ID and 4 wraps which is where I got the idea for my build from, thinking there had to be a reason or some logic behind why they chose those coils to include with the tank.

I've had 2 liquids in it now since I found the current build, Rejuiced Raspberry Rasputin and The Black from Dripdrop vapours and both have tasted good.

Take a break and come back to the obs in a week or two...

I too use as short a wick as possible... and blow on the ends before tucking them in to the wicking holes to seperate the fibers

I was wondering what is so special about vaping cotton and why nobody says to try to cheap stuff from boots.
What is the Scottish Roll method?
Because the cheap cotton in Boots has been bleached, and you don't want to be inhaling that. You don't have to spend a lot of money on vape cotton, but please don't use bleached stuff. Us cheapskates buy muji organic cotton pads, cheap and not bleached.

Scottish Roll method is a method of fluffing out the cotton and then re-rolling it so the cotton seems packed in but is really fluffy so wicks well. Particularly effective on drippers because the cotton can hold a lot of juice but wick fast enough to keep up. Have a look on Youtube to see it demonstrated.

Because the cheap cotton in Boots has been bleached, and you don't want to be inhaling that. You don't have to spend a lot of money on vape cotton, but please don't use bleached stuff. Us cheapskates buy muji organic cotton pads, cheap and not bleached.

Scottish Roll method is a method of fluffing out the cotton and then re-rolling it so the cotton seems packed in but is really fluffy so wicks well. Particularly effective on drippers because the cotton can hold a lot of juice but wick fast enough to keep up. Have a look on Youtube to see it demonstrated.
Can I buy muji organic cotton pads in London or are they only online?

Back
Top Bottom