What's new

Obs engine 2 lacking flavour

Russell

Initiate
anyone got one of these that can give me some build pointers please? Ive tried various coil diameters, various positions (high and close to the centre, lower and pulled out over the air channel more), running anything from 0.1 ohm to 0.3 ohm, wattage from about 40 to 75, and ill be buggred if i can get much flavour at all. There no dry hitting, wicks fine and chucks off loads of cloud. All the reviews were raving about how great it was,but aside from not leaking (the main reason my kylin mini was royalling pissing me off and why i bought this engine 2), i cant see what all the hype is about.

That's odd, mine is my new favourite tank!

I started with a pair of Ni80 3mm fused claptons at 0.2ohms and it was thick and tasty, kept rewicking those same coils for last few weeks (lazy vaper!) Until tonight. For comparison, I put in a pair of ss316 simple roundwire coils at 3mm, 0.35 ohms, still good flavour.

You got to bend the coils outwards so they sit as close to the airflow holes as they can without touching.

Personally, I think all the Engines are over-rated. They're OK but they're nothing special.

With the Engine 2 my advice would be to get yourself some 25ga Ni80 flat wire. 2.5mm ID, 7 wraps, .22 ohm @ 55w. Have the coils about half way down and pulled outwards so they sit directly over the middle of the airflow vents.

https://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/prod...-Made-Flat----10-Metre-Spool-468.html#SID=125

Cotton matters. If you're using CB v2 - STOP!

https://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/prod...x-25mm-Pure-Cotton-Pads---Pack-Of-10-742.html

Last edited:
Personally, I think all the Engines are over-rated. They're OK but they're nothing special.

With the Engine 2 my advice would be to get yourself some 25ga Ni80 flat wire. 2.5mm ID, 7 wraps, .22 ohm @ 55w. Have the coils about half way down and pulled outwards so they sit directly over the middle of the airflow vents.

https://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/prod...-Made-Flat----10-Metre-Spool-468.html#SID=125

Cotton matters. If you're using CB v2 - STOP!

https://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/prod...x-25mm-Pure-Cotton-Pads---Pack-Of-10-742.html
I agree on cb v2 I think it's fucking shite.

Binned first pack thinking it was fake [emoji23]

Bought another definatly genuine pack and it's still shite.

Bin.

Hi Guys, thanks for replying.

So common theme with the replies is I should be aiming for around a 0.2 ohm build, and that the coils should be bent outwards. I looked up a few video reviews and there was conflicting information, hence tried both methods; located low as possible and central to the airflow, and as high up as possible and close to the centre of the deck (yet seemed to make little difference).

What's the problem with CB v2 out of interest? I've been using that for several months on other RTAs with no problems with flavour? It's also convenient, as it's what my local shop sells!

It is the only thing I've kept consistent on my trial and error building so far, so hence the question.

Last edited:
Try some different cotton. Just go to Boots and get some regular cotton pads or their organic if you'd prefer, although it makes no difference as all cotton wool products sold for human use in the UK are sterilised prior to packaging anyway. I have tried a some Cotton Bacon and I find until it beds in it tastes like sucking a damp flannel.

Have you tried the Scottish Roll method of wick making? I have recently gone over to it and am getting much better flavour, I do it using the Organic Cotton makeup pads you can buy in the Range, £1 for 120.

Hi Guys, thanks for replying.

So common theme with the replies is I should be aiming for around a 0.2 ohm build, and that the coils should be bent outwards. I looked up a few video reviews and there was conflicting information, hence tried both methods; located low as possible and central to the airflow, and as high up as possible and close to the centre of the deck (yet seemed to make little difference).

What's the problem with CB v2 out of interest? I've been using that for several months on other RTAs with no problems with flavour? It's also convenient, as it's what my local shop sells!

It is the only thing I've kept consistent on my trial and error building so far, so hence the question.
CB v2 is notorious for it's distinctive taste and break in period. Don't buy run of the mill cotton from the high street. Any cotton not meant specifically for vaping needs to be prepared first by boiling multiple times and drying. Watch any of the countless videos on YT of people boiling it and see the shite that comes out of it. Just because it's organic doesn't mean it's safe for vaping and not bleached and with many contaminants still present. Sterilized doesn't mean safe for vaping either. Buy appropriate vaping cotton only. Jellyfish. Fuzzion. The new Cotton Bacon Prime is a huge improvement over v2 and works and tastes just fine. Coil Master Pro cotton balls. All excellent cotton. But v2 is one to move on from quickly.

Flat wire vs round makes a big difference.

Last edited:
CB v2 is notorious for it's distinctive taste and break in period. Don't buy run of the mill cotton from the high street. Any cotton not meant specifically for vaping needs to be prepared first by boiling multiple times and drying. Watch any of the countless videos on YT of people boiling it and see the shite that comes out of it. Just because it's organic doesn't mean it's safe for vaping and not bleached and with many contaminants still present. Sterilized doesn't mean safe for vaping either. Buy appropriate vaping cotton only. Jellyfish. Fuzzion. The new Cotton Bacon Prime is a huge improvement over v2 and works and tastes just fine. Coil Master Pro cotton balls. All excellent cotton. But v2 is one to move on from quickly.

Flat wire vs round makes a big difference.

Commercial cotton for human use is bleached, washed and sterilised before packaging. Why isn't sterilised cotton suitable for vaping?

Commercial cotton for human use is bleached, washed and sterilised before packaging. Why isn't sterilised cotton suitable for vaping?
Because it's made for wiping faces. Not heating up and inhaling. Sterilized means there's no harmful bacteria or human sweat and such like. It doesn't mean it isn't laced with usually non-harmful by-product and contaminants from the manufacturing and bleaching process. Stick a pack in a saucepan and boil it for 10 minutes and see what you get out of it. Then repeat with vaping cotton. One is designed for one type of use and one is designed for something else entirely. Contact any of the cotton manufacturers of high street cotton and ask them if it's safe to vape off straight out of the packet and they will undoubtedly all say no. You can make it useable by repeatedly boiling it but you're far better off IMHO buying appropriate cotton to start with.

Back
Top Bottom