What's new

Nautilus X coil comes out when filling Hack?

Jools45

Initiate
Hello all,
I assume everyone with the Nautilus X tank has experienced the coil coming out of the base when removing the top cap to refill....
I know some say its OK to fill the tank (partially, allowing for liquid displacement when re-inserting the coil), then just replace the top cap with the coil attached. However I personally don't like the idea of a film of juice between the base of the coil and the connection in the bottom of the well. Surely this will impact on the quality of the electrical connection.
I've just got the tank (as part of the rover kit) and it would seem that 4 out of every 5 fills, the coil comes away with the cap! I must say this bugs the hell out of me and I'm very disappointed.
This got me wondering if anyone knew of any hacks or tricks to keep the coil securely in the base section of the tank.
If the resistance of the thread was strongest in the base section then the top thread would break away first.
One possible solution I thought of, was maybe to put a sliver of PTFE (plumbers tape) on the bottom thread, to give a stronger hold, so the top thread gives in first. HOWEVER,. I am not sure from a health perspective if this would be safe? As I assume the PTFE tape would become hot? Maybe melt? or give off toxic fumes? etc....
Any thoughts?
Any hacks others have used to overcome this problem?
Ive searched the net, but haven't found this topic covered anywhere.
Thanks in advance for your help guys.
ATB,
Jools

Last edited:
Hello all,
I assume everyone with the Nautilus X tank has experienced the coil coming out of the base when removing the top cap to refill....
I know some say its OK to fill the tank (partially, allowing for liquid displacement when re-inserting the coil), then just replace the top cap with the coil attached. However I personally don't like the idea of a film of juice between the base of the coil and the connection in the bottom of the well. Surely this will impact on the quality of the electrical connection.
I've just got the tank (as part of the rover kit) and it would seem that 4 out of every 5 fills, the coil comes away with the cap! I must say this bugs the hell out of me and I'm very disappointed.
This got me wondering if anyone knew of any hacks or tricks to keep the coil securely in the base section of the tank.
If the resistance of the thread was strongest in the base section then the top thread would break away first.
One possible solution I thought of was maybe to put a sliver of PTFE (plumbers tape) on the bottom thread, to give a stronger hold, so the top thread gives in first. HOWEVER,. I am not sure from a health point of view if this would be safe? As I assume the PTFE tape would become hot? Maybe melt? or give off toxic fumes? etc....
Any thoughts?
ATB,
Jools
I've used threadlock on vape equipment before but never within the tank. I think you'll just have to live with it bud. We've got a couple of back up x's and I must admit I just fill and put the coil back in. As long as the tank is cleaned regularly to prevent gunk build up on the threads.
I've seen no voltage loss so you should be fine.

Hello all,
One possible solution I thought of, was maybe to put a sliver of PTFE (plumbers tape) on the bottom thread, to give a stronger hold, so the top thread gives in first. HOWEVER,. I am not sure from a health perspective if this would be safe? As I assume the PTFE tape would become hot? Maybe melt? or give off toxic fumes? etc....
Any thoughts?
ATB,
Jools

Have you tried seeing if there is a different coil that can be substituted for that particular coil that will work for your tank?

I have found that the trick is to screw the coil in firmly, while screwing the top on less firmly. I have the chimney in mine too, which helps it stay in place. Simply don't over-tighten the top cap: you get a feel for it after a few tries.

Have you tried seeing if there is a different coil that can be substituted for that particular coil that will work for your tank?
Thanks for your reply, the Nautilus X will only take the dedicated Aspire U-tech coil.

I have found that the trick is to screw the coil in firmly, while screwing the top on less firmly. I have the chimney in mine too, which helps it stay in place. Simply don't over-tighten the top cap: you get a feel for it after a few tries.
Thanks for your reply, I've also tried to smear a little vg on the top silicone O ring so there is less friction on the glass to see if that helped, but it's still very hit or miss to which thread breaks first. I've also thought of maybe putting I a short piece of cotton thread against the side of the well thread and screwing the coil Aganist it hoping that the trapped cotton would add tension to the bottom thread. Thinking that cotton is less of a toxic risk than PTFE inside the tank

Last edited:
Also ... while the tank is relatively empty, give the coil a tighten-up before you fill it up again. The act of un-screwing the top cap will usually loosen it a bit, so this should prevent it coming out of the next time you need to fill up.

Also ... while the tank is relatively empty, give the coil a tighten-up before you fill it up again. The act of un-screwing the top cap will usually loosen it a bit, so this should prevent it coming out of the next time you need to fill up.
Tha ks that's a good tip

A bit of VG on the O ring would certainly help a little. I think otherwise you're over-thinking it. I'm having problems posting links sorry, but if you google 'Nautilus X Extension chimney' - they are usually less than £5. It'll increase the capacity of your tank, IMO it also just makes it a better tank overall, for example, by making it easier to keep the coil screwed in tightly.

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. I've seen the extension kits. However I got this tank and the NX30 mod (Rover Kit ) because of the small overall size, for nights out, stealth vaping etc.. So I don't really want to increase the size. My daily vape is the Mini Triton (built like a tank) along with an istick. I find it a bit bulky for going out though. Hence me getting the smaller kit.
I guess I'll get used to not tightening the top cap down too tight, it's just instinct to make it firm enough not to work loose in a pocket etc

Back
Top Bottom