What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

My charger or my batteries?

AcidVenud

Postman
I currently use an Xtar VC4. For anybody who's seen this you will know it has 3 displays. 2 showing 2 of the 4 batteries current charge level. Then the middle one for the amps or how fast it's charging.

Very very occasionally the middle would drop to 0.2A (usually 0.5A) or sometimes all the way to zero. Assuming it just hadn't connected properly for what ever reason I'd pull out the charger and plug back in after ensuring the batteries were secure and it would be fine.

However it's happening more often these days. Is this because of the batteries or could be a developing fault with the charger itself?
I was already going to replace all my batteries anyway so if I'm paying for 8 batteries I don't really want to add the cost of another charger if I don't need to.

Not unusual for chargers to have fluctuating Amps readout, especially in the later stages of charging.

Not unusual for chargers to have fluctuating Amps readout, especially in the later stages of charging.
Oh sorry, I meant a few seconds after charging. When I plug it in now I watch it for a few seconds in case it dropped immediately.
Then when I unplug and plug back in it will be fine on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Oh sorry, I meant a few seconds after charging. When I plug it in now I watch it for a few seconds in case it dropped immediately.
Then when I unplug and plug back in it will be fine on the 2nd or 3rd try.
I wouldn't stress, when plugged in the first time the chargers checks for compatibility with the cells. Also, if it's on a wall charger that maybe limiting output to prevent surge. Just plug in & leave it alone, constant on/off is a sure way to kill electrics.

If it was the battery, i would think each batteries specific symptoms would be specific to that battery, and more than likely show the same symptoms every time no matter what port u put it in.

Also, just for shits and giggles i would wipe down all the batteries and charger contacts with isopropyl or contact cleaner (even a pencil eraser, like we used to on slot cars might be enough)

I currently use an Xtar VC4. For anybody who's seen this you will know it has 3 displays. 2 showing 2 of the 4 batteries current charge level. Then the middle one for the amps or how fast it's charging.

Very very occasionally the middle would drop to 0.2A (usually 0.5A) or sometimes all the way to zero. Assuming it just hadn't connected properly for what ever reason I'd pull out the charger and plug back in after ensuring the batteries were secure and it would be fine.

However it's happening more often these days. Is this because of the batteries or could be a developing fault with the charger itself?
I was already going to replace all my batteries anyway so if I'm paying for 8 batteries I don't really want to add the cost of another charger if I don't need to.
I have it occasionally on the vc4, im not sure sometimes why it happens, but does the same, I generally reseat the battery or unplug it out the back and plug it back in, normally solves it

Two outer bays will charge at 1amp if you have all bays charging they will charge at 0.5amp

But yes I've been charging a single 21700 and it starts at 1amp, then randomly will drop to 0.2 or 0 sometimes, reseat battery usually solves it or give plug at back a fiddle

I had the same thing happen with my vc4. Very strange.
Don't use it much now I have a gyrfalcon.

I have it occasionally on the vc4, im not sure sometimes why it happens, but does the same, I generally reseat the battery or unplug it out the back and plug it back in, normally solves it

Two outer bays will charge at 1amp if you have all bays charging they will charge at 0.5amp

But yes I've been charging a single 21700 and it starts at 1amp, then randomly will drop to 0.2 or 0 sometimes, reseat battery usually solves it or give plug at back a fiddle
I didn't realise the outer ones charge quickly. I mean I usually wait for 2 pairs to charge but I occasionally charge one pair but just put in bays 1 and 2.

I'll give everything a clean anyway and hope for the best

On my charger - MiBoxer C4 I get fluctuating charge rates across all 4 bays whilst each battery is initially being read and assessed, this can take up to a minute or more across all 4 bays and then the charge rate settles down to a constant mah, usually 800mah. As already stated clean those contacts, there's often dirt there you cant see, I use iso alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom