What's new

Mesh coils juice consumption

Andy S

Postman
Trying out the mesh 'coil' on my Cleito 120.
First, just to be a bit pedantic, they're still calling it a 120 because it's designed to fit the 120 tank, but the tank is called 120 because until now the only coil that would fit it was the 120 coil which runs at - can you guess - up to a hundred and twenty Watts. The mesh, although it has the same resistance as the wire coil, is rated by Aspire at 60-75W. Thought I'd get that out of the way first in case anyone might assume that because it has the name 120 it can be used at that high power. It can't.

So anyway, back to the plot: Many people have noted that mesh elements are thirsty and this one's no different. I thought that was an acceptable sacrifice for great flavour but I'm beginning to suspect that the only reason meshes taste "better" is because you're drinking juice as well as vaping it. For whatever reason - and I'm not an electrician so I don't know - meshes run at lower voltage than wire coils. I think this prevents them vapourizing the juice fully and so you get some unvapourized juice in your mouth. I noticed it first with the BB, then more with the Falcon, and now with the Cleito. I have experimented with power levels above the maker's recommendation, and the higher I go the less juice-in-mouth I get but it's getting uncomfortably hot above 85W. When I decided to have a go at mesh rebuildable I didn't know what wattage to use so I put the mod in voltage mode and ran it at 4.2V and there was less J.I.M. but it burnt the wick. I'm actually running a pair of conventional wire coils in my mesh RTA at the mo and I'm a lot happier with it.

I know everyone's saying mesh is the future but I'm wondering whether it will turn out to be a flash in the pan. Just because something's new doesn't always mean it's an improvement. For example, has anyone tried to copy the Revvo? Answer: No. Why? Because it's a crap idea.

Trying out the mesh 'coil' on my Cleito 120.
First, just to be a bit pedantic, they're still calling it a 120 because it's designed to fit the 120 tank, but the tank is called 120 because until now the only coil that would fit it was the 120 coil which runs at - can you guess - up to a hundred and twenty Watts. The mesh, although it has the same resistance as the wire coil, is rated by Aspire at 60-75W. Thought I'd get that out of the way first in case anyone might assume that because it has the name 120 it can be used at that high power. It can't.

So anyway, back to the plot: Many people have noted that mesh elements are thirsty and this one's no different. I thought that was an acceptable sacrifice for great flavour but I'm beginning to suspect that the only reason meshes taste "better" is because you're drinking juice as well as vaping it. For whatever reason - and I'm not an electrician so I don't know - meshes run at lower voltage than wire coils. I think this prevents them vapourizing the juice fully and so you get some unvapourized juice in your mouth. I noticed it first with the BB, then more with the Falcon, and now with the Cleito. I have experimented with power levels above the maker's recommendation, and the higher I go the less juice-in-mouth I get but it's getting uncomfortably hot above 85W. When I decided to have a go at mesh rebuildable I didn't know what wattage to use so I put the mod in voltage mode and ran it at 4.2V and there was less J.I.M. but it burnt the wick. I'm actually running a pair of conventional wire coils in my mesh RTA at the mo and I'm a lot happier with it.

I know everyone's saying mesh is the future but I'm wondering whether it will turn out to be a flash in the pan. Just because something's new doesn't always mean it's an improvement. For example, has anyone tried to copy the Revvo? Answer: No. Why? Because it's a crap idea.
Hi mate. Dont know anything about your tank but I have the Innokin Plex and Scions using mesh coils. Tried the Freemax mesh as well. Some flavours are really great in the mesh, but some I make taste better in the standard coil types. My Licorice vape is much better in the little crios tank than the mesh. Personally as much as I like the plexus mesh coils, I dont see them as the be all and end all. And yeah, they drink dont they!

Mesh heats up quicker at lower watts. The Wotofo mesh is 0.18ohm & runs sweet at around 50w (rated 45-65w). The same ohm in wire on a mech (your 4.2v) would pull around 100w, way too hot for the mesh hence burnt wick, dry hit. In stock mesh coils the same will happen.

Mesh heats up quicker at lower watts. The Wotofo mesh is 0.18ohm & runs sweet at around 50w (rated 45-65w). The same ohm in wire on a mech (your 4.2v) would pull around 100w, way too hot for the mesh hence burnt wick, dry hit. In stock mesh coils the same will happen.
Yes, it certainly does heat up quicker, but does it heat up as much? I've noticed when dry firing a mesh at relatively low voltage the whole thing glows instantly but not as brightly as a wire.

Yes, it certainly does heat up quicker, but does it heat up as much? I've noticed when dry firing a mesh at relatively low voltage the whole thing glows instantly but not as brightly as a wire.
Don't see why not. Just does it quicker.

Interesting point, got a Freemax Mesh Pro yesterday and it's damn good, but I have noticed it drinks juice much quicker than the Falcon, at 95 watts it doesn't even feel warm, that said it drinks less juice than the Wotofo Profile even though that's around 60 watts but then squonking does tend to use more juice generally.

I have noticed the better Mesh coils have very large wicking ports which saturate pretty fast.

I'm exclusively using the freemax for a few days before I do a head to head comparison with the falcon, it's one way to get through my overstock of juice!

Interesting point, got a Freemax Mesh Pro yesterday and it's damn good, but I have noticed it drinks juice much quicker than the Falcon, at 95 watts it doesn't even feel warm, that said it drinks less juice than the Wotofo Profile even though that's around 60 watts but then squonking does tend to use more juice generally.

I have noticed the better Mesh coils have very large wicking ports which saturate pretty fast.

I'm exclusively using the freemax for a few days before I do a head to head comparison with the falcon, it's one way to get through my overstock of juice!
By coincidence I was looking at a Freemax tank in a shop yesterday and it looks incredibly similar to the Falcon, which I have. Almost tempted to buy it just to see what the differences are but from what you've said maybe not if it's more thirsty.
Also been considering having a go at the Profile because it seems to promise a solution to the wicking issues I'm having with my V-V mesh RTA. How does the Profile perform in RDA mode IYE?

By coincidence I was looking at a Freemax tank in a shop yesterday and it looks incredibly similar to the Falcon, which I have. Almost tempted to buy it just to see what the differences are but from what you've said maybe not if it's more thirsty.
Also been considering having a go at the Profile because it seems to promise a solution to the wicking issues I'm having with my V-V mesh RTA. How does the Profile perform in RDA mode IYE?
Only used it in squonk mode but dripping should be just as easy, 810 drip tip so yoou can see the mesh/wick & top airflow cap comes off easy enough. As with squonking don't be shy with the juice, fill the well up to/over the airholes & let it soak in then add more to begin with. It really does shine on a squonker though.

i bought the falcon and loved it. then i bought the freemax pro and immediately bought another one along with the skynet.
the falcon hardly gets used now as my go to is the freemax. im waiting for the single coil to die out as ive got some 3 and 4 mesh coils im eager to try out.
but just like juice what one likes the other may not so the only way to find out is to try one.

The Freemax is definitely a superb tank (assuming it's not 2ml TPD) and so far my initial impressions are that it is a Falcon beater for flavour, still hammering it to see how long a coil lasts and yet to try the triple mesh coil which I'm told is even better.

You're in luck as I have the Vandy Vape Mesh RDA and the Profile, the Profile is much much much much much (etc.) better, I had a nightmare with the VV Mesh and ended up surrendering as it's only good for the CIA to use as a torture weapon instead of waterboarding, 2 or 3 dry hits from a VV Mesh and anybody will talk (if they still can).

The Profile has the spring loaded base to prevent the main issue of cotton sag which the VV suffered from, using the Wotofo Cotton is a safe bet, easier to wick and I am taken aback with the lifespan of the mesh and wick, I intended to review it within 2 weeks after changing builds but it's still going strong on my first build almost 4 weeks of moderate use, the wick still looks fresh with no sag.

Flavour wise, it's good but not mind blowing like the Freemax, but as far as squonking goes it's the best mesh RDA I'm aware of at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom