What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Mechanical mod battery orientation

Which way do you put your battery in a mech tube?

• Total voters
Obviously we don't want to use a switch other than in the way it was designed to be used. But venting holes do not give a reliable indicator,most tube mods have vent holes at the switch end but this is because it's easier to incorporate in the design or looks better. I don't think there are all that many mods with switches specifically designed for battery positive down, and the good ones (like the Broadside) have insulated lining in the tube to avoid these shorts.

I think people should think very carefully when choosing a mech to buy. With the choice and quality now available at mass market prices there is really no reason to buy a mech that entices you in to putting your battery with the positive away from the venting holes. What's the point of having them if they're gonna be made useless by a swollen battery?

I put mine with the positive to the vent holes. But then I usually choose to buy internally insulated mods.

Last edited:
I just got the Mad Dog mech rdta the other day. It's insulated internally and the vent holes are at the switch. I would personally always but the battery positive down in this. But it appears from this photo that the manufacturer has put it in positive up. Is it an intentional positive up recommendation, a mistake or just a meaningless picture and not an official recommendation at all?

meckbatt.jpg

I just got the Mad Dog mech rdta the other day. It's insulated internally and the vent holes are at the switch. I would personally always but the battery positive down in this. But it appears from this photo that the manufacturer has put it in positive up. Is it an intentional positive up recommendation, a mistake or just a meaningless picture and not an official recommendation at all?

View attachment 143508
More worryingly it looks like an Efest..... [emoji23]

When a battery initially vents it leaks super hot liquid, as I understand it from the vids I've seen of controlled venting experiments. The vent holes are usually at the 'bottom' of the tube which is also where the switch usually is. I've always been under the impression that positive (where 400 degree liquid vents from) should therefore be down. Presumably the sensation of this liquid dripping into one's turn-ups encourages the user to discard the entire mod before it enters pipe bomb mode.

I have also laboured under the impression that if this liquid can't escape because the positive is facing up then it enters pipe bomb mode earlier.

The suggestion that all mechs should be internally insulated is all well and good but in reality, many aren't especially the old classics from a few years back. None of my old authentic tube mechs are insulated. In my experience it's more likely to be an accidentally depressed switch in a pocket or bag than a damaged battery wrap anyway.

When a battery initially vents it leaks super hot liquid, as I understand it from the vids I've seen of controlled venting experiments. The vent holes are usually at the 'bottom' of the tube which is also where the switch usually is. I've always been under the impression that positive (where 400 degree liquid vents from) should therefore be down. Presumably the sensation of this liquid dripping into one's turn-ups encourages the user to discard the entire mod before it enters pipe bomb mode.

I have also laboured under the impression that if this liquid can't escape because the positive is facing up then it enters pipe bomb mode earlier.

The suggestion that all mechs should be internally insulated is all well and good but in reality, many aren't especially the old classics from a few years back. None of my old authentic tube mechs are insulated. In my experience it's more likely to be an accidentally depressed switch in a pocket or bag than a damaged battery wrap anyway.

I'd like to know where you saw the suggestion that all mech mods should be insulated within this thread. What I actually said was that I personally would never buy a mech tube mod that wasn't insulated because in an un-insulated mod I would feel it necessary to put the battery positive up and most likely away from vent holes. Therefore, I would only buy mods that were insulated so that I can keep my battery positive in line with the vent holes. And with the massive range of mods out there people should think hard about what type of mod they want, and decide to buy, and the ramifications of battery orientation within that mod, should something go wrong. How that became a suggestion that all mech mods should be insulated, I don't really know. :p

Last edited:
@Mitz my take was an inference that the savvy purchaser should stick with insulated as you do and I have no contention on that logic other than to point out there are many already out there that are not insulated. I am not convinced on your logic of ignoring where the vent holes are, however.

A ripped battery wrap is only one cause of thermal runaway in a battery. Of the handful of incidents I have had, none were due to a damaged battery wrap.

I make these points lest inexperienced users follow your suggestion blindly as a gospel truth and, in case I learn something new.

Last edited:
I have
@Mitz my take was an inference that the savvy purchaser should stick with insulated as you do and I have no contention on that logic other than to point out there are many already out there that are not insulated. I am not convinced on your logic of ignoring where the vent holes are, however.

A ripped battery wrap is only one cause of thermal runaway in a battery. Of the handful of incidents I have had, none were due to a damaged battery wrap.

I make these points lest inexperienced users follow your suggestion blindly as a gospel truth and, in case I learn something new.

I have to say, this thread has taken a surreal twist. Are you using Google Translate to read my posts or something? You seem to be reading something that I don't appear to be writing. Lol.

I have

I have to say, this thread has taken a surreal twist. Are you using Google Translate to read my posts or something? You seem to be reading something that I don't appear to be writing. Lol.

My interpretation of what you wrote may well be influenced by the amount of Saturday night alcohol I have consumed lol

Back
Top Bottom