What's new

Is this safe?

oOLucasOo

Postman
Hey all, okay so I was wanting to have a quick check if the way I'm running my mod is safe.

I'm using a Smok H-priv 220w with a Cleito 120 Sub-ohm tank. I vape at 120w but after learning about battery amperage load in regulated mods and reading on a few forums I don't know if what I'm doing is posing a risk or not.

My batteries are Ampking 18650's, they have a 20A CDR. When using the equation:

Desired voltage/Voltage cut off (guessed so kept at a average number)/No. of batteries/regulator efficiency (also guessed so went lower than normal) = ?A per batteries

And I'm having a result of:

120/3/2/0.85 = 23.53A per battery

That's over my safe CDR limit, but I have always used this setup for years. I always thought with it being regulated if it couldn't handle it, it would tell me, but after reading up I'm now not so sure.

What is your guys input?

no it's not 'safe' but that doesn't make it inherently dangerous either.

watch this and decide for yourself.

Unless you’re discharging the cells at a constant rate, which you can’t if the mod has a 10 second cutoff like most, then you’ll never exceed the ‘continuous discharge rating’ because you can’t constantly discharge them.

Now, that’s not to say the mod will work right and everything will be fine, but that’s life. It’s up to you wether you feel the risk is worth it or not.

I know that’s not a massive amount of help but nobody else can decide how far you’re willing to go. With a little common sense I’m sure you can make the decision yourself.

Yeah just like I thought, just a matter of making the decision for myself, it's not majorly risky but the risk is there. Yeah I'll probably just get a higher Amp battery just to be safe, better for battery life span as well. I'll probably get the Sony VTC4's, they will do me fine.

Cheers guys

Yeah just like I thought, just a matter of making the decision for myself, it's not majorly risky but the risk is there. Yeah I'll probably just get a higher Amp battery just to be safe, better for battery life span as well. I'll probably get the Sony VTC4's, they will do me fine.

Cheers guys
Go for the vtc5a via fogstar, it'll handle that fine and last a noticeable amount longer

I used to use lots of vtc4s but the 5a is much more "all round"

Go for the vtc5a via fogstar, it'll handle that fine and last a noticeable amount longer

I used to use lots of vtc4s but the 5a is much more "all round"

Aren't the 5's rated 20A CDR? I'm looking for between 25 and 30. The batteries I run off of at the moment are 20A CDR.

I checked Fogstar's website and in specs it says:
Is that wrong information, should I check somewhere else?

Think you have looked at the VTC5, that is 20amp. The VTC5A is 25amp.

Screenshot_20180123-144616.jpg

Just to mention, VTC5A is probably the best allround 18650 on the market. I run these in my mechs and they are perfect for the job.

Think you have looked at the VTC5, that is 20amp. The VTC5A is 25amp.

View attachment 149821

Just to mention, VTC5A is probably the best allround 18650 on the market. I run these in my mechs and they are perfect for the job.

Ahhhh, yeah that's exactly what I was looking up haha! Cheers bro :)

Would you class Fogstar as a reputable vendor then or would I be better going somewhere else for it?

Back
Top Bottom