What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

How many of you have come across melted/damaged insulators?

conanthewarrior

Achiever
Hi everyone, I was doing some reading earlier on another forum, and saw someone recommend not building below 0.4 for a certain tank due to 'melting the insulators'.

I realise this guideline doesn't take much into account, as a 0.4 coil built with say 24G Kanthal will have a different heat flux compared to another wire type/gauge, also taking things such as parallel building into account.

But, it did make me wonder, how common are damaged insulators during your maintenance?

Out of all of my tanks and RDA's, I can only think of one time I melted an insulator- I had set up a velocity RDA, and went to the garden. When I came back in, the mod had auto fired and the RDA was buggered, the drip tip had melted inwards, and the insulator destroyed.

This was so long ago I am unsure, but I think this was an auto fire with a regulated mod and not a mech. I was lucky just to lose an RDA, Mod and batteries.

So, have you come across many of your insulators that have been damaged, or is it something that doesn't tend to happen much and only really in cases similar to mine?

@Raguri I am sure melted insulators in rda more than once, around the time I was a new member, but he was certainly building lower than was sensible. Dangerous shit seemed par for the course with Raguri.

I build high 0.8 to 1.2 so no melted insulators for me. Even when I left a mech autofiring long enough (perhaps 15 or 20 min) that the battery wrap was shrinking inside the tube to the point it was not far from exposing the sides.

It's been an bit of an issue on the SC Titan. A few in the FB group have melted insulators.

Not sure about melted, but I definately burnt the insulator on my Zeus Dual the first time I set it up. Lovely rough, black patch in the middle of the white insulator. Noticed it every time I re-wicked it. And it wound me up each time too.

One of my mechs once started autofiring while I was in the other room having dinner.
When I came back the tube was hot enough for me to not be able to touch it.
Wrapped it in a blanket to take it apart and waited for half an hour for it to cool down.
The Peek-Insultor of the RDA on top did not melt, but the delrin-insulator in the switch did. The drip tip was deformed as well after this.

Btw, it autofired due to the spring collapsing.
Moral of the story: Check on your mech before leaving it unattended for longer....

I have also managed to slightly melt the Peek airflow-reducer in my Eden Mods Salix RDA, while dry-burning. Not really a melted "insulator", but same material, so...

It was a common problem with the Wotofo troll rta due to the position of the insulator, so much so that on later batches they even supplied a spare insulator in the box. Haven't managed to burn mine yet ('famous last words)

I should point out for for the benefit of others that when @Zippy0 and myself mention autofiring we are talking about being idiots that did not properly understand or respect the fundamentally simple equipment we were using.
Autofiring is user error. No ifs no buts

lots if its the 510 itself

and collapsed 510s threaded top caps 510s fully removed from the mod melted peak insulators busted springs arc lines on the copper pin

the moral of the story is after I spent 2 hours removing an atty from a 510 (had to cut it off with the miller thou by tho) is as I said to the chap

"it's not a submarine hatch"

lots of heat and dirt and juice builds up in there and some people just keep on winding never cleaning

when any mod comes back to me for a service it's the first thing I replace

Back
Top Bottom