What's new

How many hours per week do you spend on wicking, coiling, etc?

How many hours per WEEK do you spend wicking, coiling, etc?

• Total voters

MHL

Veteran
These days I seem to spend an unfeasible amount of time wicking and coiling.

With the Hastur (regular) I need to rewick every tankful to keep it tasting fresh. With something smaller like the mini / kf lite it's every couple of tanks.

Then, every couple of rewicks, the coil starts to get rather grotty. Like it's been dipped in treacle. All the wick sticks around it and it's black as the ace of spades. So rather than clean and burn, it's easier just to replace it.

I'm on manabush or similar so that doesn't help. I get through about 6 - 8ml of liquid a day. So that means I rewick at least twice a day, and do a fresh coil once a day. I must spend almost an hour a day doing this.

Does anyone else spend this much time on maintenance?!

I'm wondering if I'm being over picky about fresh tasting juice. But I'm just not keen on that fusty taste you get with a dirty wick.

1 or less for me cos I'm a lazy mofo and it doesn't get changed until it crawls out the atty itself.

1 or less for me cos I'm a lazy mofo and it doesn't get changed until it crawls out the atty itself.

I want to be more like you. Think I've got some kind of wicking OCD.

Minutes not hours... Maybe a coil once a week and cotton every couple of days. 5 mins to make and install a coil..maybe 2 mins for a rewick.

_20190801_063736.JPG

So this coil has probably been in for about 6 months and the cotton... Maybe about a month

Generally a few minutes a week.
Most of my vaping will be on one device, normally an rda that will get a new wick every week, whether it needs it or not. I vape about 30ml/week.
I do mix my juice at low flavour percentages, 50% pg and not too sweet which helps.

Coils last me months and I am not sure I ever really feel that I must put in a new coil. Once or twice a year I will build a few coils and stick them in a few attys.

These days, I doubt that I spend as much as an hour/month most months.

Being a mech user, cleaning threads and contacts, takes more time than coils, wicks and diy juice combined. I might average 20/min a week on cleaning.

So that means I rewick at least twice a day, and do a fresh coil once a day. I must spend almost an hour a day doing this.

Does anyone else spend this much time on maintenance?

NOPE - I think I get about 2~3 weeks on stock Z coils, can rinse/burn and squeeze a month perhaps

RTA - uhm think I rewick on average about once a week on average - maybe 10 days at a push but it's quite fucked by then
I maybe reburn the coil perhaps 2 or 3 times tops, by then it is noticeable no matter how cleaned up the coil is
If I've taken the piss and coil is really gunked up, the thing bends up out of shape as I pull old wick out (29awg)

Some will always use a fresh coil, I guess to me it is more a case of it works and ain't broke don't try to fix it
(time I've messed around burning/cleaning coil I could have dropped a freshly wound one in
& 29awg Kanthal is 1p so hardly saving a fortune (or time) - just me trying to use same coil I guess)
wipe out chimney if any black bits in there, maybe once a month when using a fresh coil, empty tank & rinse it

Even then with a complete drain, rinse, new fresh coil & rewick - maybe 30 mins a month overhaul
but usually burn & rewick say 5~6 mins I guess on RTA's

For me its mostly wicking but that takes just about 2 mins which i do every 2 -3 days as for coils i wrap my coils every month or 2 depends really and that only takes about 5-10 mins.....

Less than 2 minutes a month.
Coils last ages.
Once the wick starts turning my juice funky, after about 10 days, I'll dry burn and rewick.

Back
Top Bottom