What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Help with wire/coils

Jd_

Achiever
After spending all day studying and remembering why I didnt become an electrical engineer, is there any sort of 'rule of thumb' as far as a wire coil rated at ohms/foot and how it translates to an avg 3mm coil build

Specifically the end result i am trying to achieve is a 5 or 6 wrap 3mm coil made of nichrome or nichrome/kanthal and trying to get around a .4 ohm resistance

Im not really asking for an in depth tutorial, just where i should start.

Steamengine.com has all the info you need. There is a calculator that tells you all you need to do for ohms vs wire and resistance etc.

Theres also ohms law on that site too should you want to build any lower and remain safe :)

Steamengine.com has all the info you need. There is a calculator that tells you all you need to do for ohms vs wire and resistance etc.

Theres also ohms law on that site too should you want to build any lower and remain safe :)

Yeah, i know, ive been futzing around all day with it
What im not understanding is how to judge it based on spools of vaping wire rated by ohms/per foot

Not even sure how deep i want to get into it, especially since prebuilts are pretty cheap and easy to get, so basically just asking if there is a good general purpose spool of wire i can be pointed to that would work best for what im trying achieve.

I dont think they will actually ever totally ban everything vape, but i used to think they would never ban smoking outside, n that happened, so i figure i should start practicing now

Cant wait till i have to try to figure out how to extract nicotine from pipe tobacco, lol

Let me ask a better questio because this is what i am having difficulty understanding...

Relatively speaking:
If i were to build exactly the same coil out of these two wires what would the difference be as far as the resistance i would end up with and the appropriate wattage to use for it (just more/less, higher/lower, that sort of thing...
Tri-Core-Fused-Clapton_Ni80-1.73_ec52b887-a1d0-4dd9-9096-d12fd7454c6d.gif
Tri-Core-Fused-Clapton_Ni80-1.73-40.gif

Again, relatively speaking, if i built EXACTLY the same coil with this wire, what would be the difference be in the resistance i would likely end up with and the wattage i would need compared to the first two..
Tri-Core-Fused-Clapton_75919abb-11ef-44c4-91b9-04ea5525f563.gif

Let me ask a better questio because this is what i am having difficulty understanding...

Relatively speaking:
If i were to build exactly the same coil out of these two wires what would the difference be as far as the resistance i would end up with and the appropriate wattage to use for it (just more/less, higher/lower, that sort of thing...
View attachment 217268View attachment 217271

Again, relatively speaking, if i built EXACTLY the same coil with this wire, what would be the difference be in the resistance i would likely end up with and the wattage i would need compared to the first two..View attachment 217272
Comparing the first two you'll see there is no difference in the resistance of the two because the inner core wires are exactly the same.
When using steam engine you only need to input the information on the inner cores.
The difference will be the 40g outer wrap wire will heat up and cool down quicker because 40g is thinner than 36g.

26g cores will give you more resistance than 28g cores as the wire is thicker.

See i thought it was the other way around, thicker wire=less resistance

Ok, another question, I'm basing this off the specs from a prebuilt coil that lists 6 wraps, how is that possible? Isn't it always going to be a half wrap more or less so the lead goes back in the right direction?

Btw, for some reason after u said that about steamengine the whole thing clicked in my head...thank u

Nevermind about the wrap question, just figured that out too

Ok, one last question, i'm looking at a coil thats in there, n i'm measuring about 5 mm or so for the straight part, so 10 mm lead total, does that seem right?

Back
Top Bottom