What's new

Have my first mech mod! Let the endless question begin!

Your regulated mod uses it's electornics to keep the output voltage constant for the specifiedwattage, you get a continuous vape irrespective of how charged the battery is. You have none of this on a mech, just a battery, your coil and the tube and all of the connections. On a mech cleanliness of all threads and switch (inside and out) is essential to get a good vape.

Your battery will also "sag" when you fire your mod, the battery struggles to get all of the power out and, as such the voltage will drop. Some batteries are better for this than others, the amp rating isn't the only thing you need to look at. As has been said above, I use nothing but Sony VTC5A in mechanical mods, they are arguably the best compromise of capacity, Amp rating and providing minimal voltage sag.

If you look at the review here from Mooch your batteries (albeit at 30A) sag quite considerably, you're not getting 4.2V at your RDA when you hit fire, more likely to be closer to 3.6V at 20A.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ch-retest-results-a-great-20a-battery.714112/

Couple that with using a build with less metal (you don't really need, nor want, anything special in a mech).

And that is why I love this forum!!
I will try a twisted 26g ss316 build tonight and see how that works out..

And that is why I love this forum!!
I will try a twisted 26g ss316 build tonight and see how that works out..
Dual coil twisted 26ga 316 need about 11 wraps to get to 0.2, I always aim to get between 5 and 6 wraps (it works for me). You'd be better of doing 5 or 6 wraps dual coil in my opinion.

I hope that didn't sound cockish, as that is not how it was intended. Looking back it may look a bit ranty but hope it is taken as advice with good intentions.
Not at all my friend I was merely encouraging you to continue with safe and wise facts for people who need it like we once did as well! Thank you

Dual coil twisted 26ga 316 need about 11 wraps to get to 0.2, I always aim to get between 5 and 6 wraps (it works for me). You'd be better of doing 5 or 6 wraps dual coil in my opinion.

So I have found the perfect use for my mech.. I have just put my coilart Mage gta on it running .34ohm with a 7 wrap 2.5mm ss316 twisted and she's hitting like a dream
RDA's seem better on my regulated mod..

So I have found the perfect use for my mech.. I have just put my coilart Mage gta on it running .34ohm with a 7 wrap 2.5mm ss316 twisted and she's hitting like a dream
Good my friend I'm glad you've found your sweet spot, for me personally on a mech I have to vape at least .15 for the cloud production I like (I love the clouds lol). They seem better because they are in a sense I suppose. Mech are essentially outdated in a way, people use them now because of the feel, the freedom, and because they can regulated devices are better because they are completely safe and you can get more out of them with less work. I still love using mechs myself. I guess it all depends, everything has its pros

I find good batteries make a huge difference in mechs.
I use vtc4/5a's because they sag less than other cells I have at lower ohms.
I also find nichrome and ss ramp up quicker but I usually fit a 0.3 ohm pair of 24g coils, yet are warm but cloudy and flavorful.
Just now i have an alien coil (3x29g nichrome w/36g wrap) paired with a hadaly on my smpl at 0.4 and it's a hotter build, but if I drop it on my 20700 mosfet box it sags down further straight away and is just warm
These are the reasons I prefer thinner wire ( in this case almost flat, like flatwire it runs up fast) and more towards the 0.4 area even on good batts as a thin build with lower ramp up to me gives similar results to a thicker lower ohm build cloud and flavor wise, plus the added safety and battery life is always a bonus
That said a nice build around 0.2, if you have appropriate batteries, is 26g clapton parallel wrapped with plain 26g, at 3mm/6 wrap, kanthal is a nice staged coil that gets the heat it needs faster

Please be careful with the mage, most of the images of it show it with a fairly flush pin and you mentioned using a hybrid style mech mod- you do not want a dead short on your hands. EDIT: Apologies, I misread GTA as RTA. That looks fine, still check though.

For a mech you need to build with surface area in mind, something that will provide a vape you like without stressing your batteries, and also something without too much mass so it can heat quickly. This is one reason a lot of people like flatwire.

Using something of a higher gauge than you normally build with wrapped in parallel is nice. It offers the surface area you want to heat your wick and juice, and will ramp up nice and quickly.

Please be careful with the mage, most of the images of it show it with a fairly flush pin and you mentioned using a hybrid style mech mod- you do not want a dead short on your hands. EDIT: Apologies, I misread GTA as RTA. That looks fine, still check though.

For a mech you need to build with surface area in mind, something that will provide a vape you like without stressing your batteries, and also something without too much mass so it can heat quickly. This is one reason a lot of people like flatwire.

Using something of a higher gauge than you normally build with wrapped in parallel is nice. It offers the surface area you want to heat your wick and juice, and will ramp up nice and quickly.

Thanks! Na the GTA has a nice 510 on it.

Grey haze are sending me out 2 new HG2's.

There is no substitute for knowledge. - If you learn how Ohms Law applies to your vaping (whether it's coils, resistance, battery draw, battery sag, heat flux, etc.) the knowledge let's you 'bend the rules' to suit you as you will know EXACTLY what you are doing when you press the fire button.

Once you understand that small changes can SERIOUSLY effect what your doing and how safe it actually is, you can adjust your vape better and with more confidence. In the real world it means you burn your lip less, replace your batteries less often, your juice tastes better and the risk of blowing your face off decreases by a huge percentage. Start stupidly safe and work from there until you get to where you are happy with your vape and KNOW what is happening when you press the button. The more you fully understand the easier it is.

I was familiar with ohms law when I started vaping as electronics was a hobby and I've built several electronic 'things' over the years from radios and arcade machines to valve amplifiers - I still looked up all the youtube vids, articles and sage advice from people like Battery Mooch etc. to know what I was REALLY messing with. I was still surprised at the power stored in a small 4 volt Li-Ion battery when you do the maths. My first attempts with a mech were a bit crap, but safe, and it only took a few bits of info to figure out why and which direction to work in to improve it.

Spot on vape now, building around 0.18 ohms dual or 0.2 to 0.3 ohms for single coilers depending what i want from it and how i want to vape it, with the right battery for each, I still have plenty of headroom to stay out of the 'Kaboom Zone' with no venting and a decent battery life.

Sorry for the novel above, but i thought it might be useful.

Cuz Steve

Back
Top Bottom