What's new

General kit reviews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell

Initiate
Following on from talk on another thread, it occurred to me that it might be an idea to have peoples comments on kit they've actually had and loved, and also stuff that's been utter tosh - as online reviews don't seem to give the true picture these days.

Not saying list everything you've ever owned, just the stuff that has been really good, or really bad.

I'll kick it off with my thoughts, views and tips:

Smok Alien Mini and Big Baby Beast tank

Mod was ok. If any juice got onto the mod it seemed to find it's way down the fire bar on the side, so whilst it never stopped working, it did feel like it was sticking slightly.

The tank.....hmm.... Flavour, pretty good. Massive clouds (not that I wanted them at the time, but figured big flavour must have to = big clouds). Used to go through juice like nobodys business.

Coils....ugh...the fucking coils. They didn't seem to last long at all. I had, I shit you not, 4 packs of 5 coils, and not one of them was right. The one that came preinstalled in the tank was fine, so bought the same type in a pack of 5 from Greyhaze. Of the first pack, 2 of them I have no idea what was up, but they'd simply leak all the juice out the tank, and were unusable. The other 3 all had wildly varying resistances showing on the mod. Were all supposed to be 0.4ohm, 2 were reading at barely above 0.1 ohm, the other one didn't register at all. To be fair Greyhaze sent out a replacement pack (and other subsequent ones without quibble). Second pack, the same, but all coils read between 0.12 - 0.16 ohms. Third pack, mixture of not registering at all, low resistance and a piss-juice edition. Repeat. I gave up, that put me off Smok products for good.

Kanger Dripbox 160

Brilliant. Was my first dual 18650 mod. Standard tank is a bit pony, looks and feels cheap. I had a Vandyvape Pulse 22 on it which was dead easy to build, plenty of tolerance for coil position and wicking. Was a good setup - only moved on because it was like lugging a house brick round.

iJoy Capo Squonk

Massive waiting time, hyped up and was sold out everywhere for ages, loads of pre-orders. Ultimately, a waste of time when I finally got it Not that amazing.

Battery life was not as good as dual 18650 by a long way. Juice bottle used to leak for no reason, just seemed to be the way it was built that juice would leak out of the silicon bung that fitted into the top of the bottle when installed.

Standard tank was equally uninspiring.

Bought a Pulse 24 (based on having had the pulse 22). Not as good as the 22 was, but was ok.

Eventually gave up using this after a month or so, due the battery and leaking.

Modefined Sirius Mod

Love this mod. Still have it now. Got the black and gold version, and it looks like it's worth £100+ IMO. Bargain for £40 I paid for it. Well built, decent operating range, not too chunky. nice screen - not flashy, just does the job. 3 buttons for menu navigation, which a lot of others seem to be doing now too.

Uwell Crown 3

Flavour - great.
Build quality - crap.
Heat build up - insane

Bearing in mind the 0.4ohm coils are 55-65w and the 0.25 are 75-85w, this tank gets way too hot in my view. After 4-5 drags in close succession, the tank is hot to touch by hand and drip tip is uncomfortable. Hot enough in fact that you physically can't undo the top cap to refill, as everything has expanded due to the heat.

Incidentally, top cap fitting is horrid. Threading feels awful and grinds open and closed, you've never really sure if the cap is on properly, or if you've just stripped the threads.

Honks through juice.

Coils scenario has reminded me of the Smok fiasco, and hence it's putting me off using it. I only use sub ohm tanks when I want to be sure I'm not going to get a pocket full of juice on a day/night out. Reviews say coils last for weeks. Bullshit. No different from any others. Coils also seem to leak, well, 3 of the 4 I've had so far have leaked juice through and out the air holes.

OBS Engine 2

Over hyped and underperformed, for me at least.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/.../threads/obs-engine-2-lacking-flavour.163798/

Nicely built, looks good and isn't huge. Fill system is good.

Build deck, ok. Reviews make out building it is brain surgery. It's not. A bit fiddly, yes. You can't put bigger than 2.5mm coils in it in my experience. As someone else said, less metal in this is a good thing.

I couldn't get any real flavour out of it though. It wasn't completely absent, just very muted.

Wicking - process simply. Quantity needed is a fine line between too much and too little. Too little and it floods and spits when refilled and you'll easily loose half a tank of juice in this process (it must siphon out). Never really got a dry hit as such, just took much wicking and what little flavour you can get is dulled further.

Best results I got with it were 6 wrap, 26g ni-80 flat wire, positioned as high as possible to the posts without touching the post screw area, running at 50-55w depending on the juice. For me, this worked better than having them lower down.

Quite restricted draw on it due to the cramped deck once wicked. Not terrible, just not as much airflow as any other tank I've had.

VandyVape Kylin Mini

Good little thank this. Got the bubble glass and it holds plenty. Single coil deck is a doddle to build. Top cap easy to get on and off and juice ports underneath are huge so easy to fill.

One downside, and it's a major one until you figure the wicking out - it can and often will either dump the entire tank contents, or gradually leak relentlessly.

Flavour - OMG...best tank I've had for flavour. Period.

So, wicking.

Mixed reviews online as how to do it. IMO, the best way is to cut the wicks short. Like proper short, you'll be laughing thinking you're mad, kinda short. Don't cut to the outside of the base, that's way too much and it won't wick properly. You have to cut them to the edge of the inner bit that the deck is on. Then fan them out, don't rake it or thin them down. Then juice them up and with tweezers or something, spread the wick out so it fans across the opening. The wick should only go down as far as the top of the coil screws. Don't put it all the way to the bottom of the side channels.

The key is to spread each end of the wick out so that some goes a little way down the channel, the rest goes across the kind of v-notched bit in the deck. It'll make sense when you see one. You absolutely have to make sure there is not even a pinprick size gap anywhere on the v-notch bit. I use the side of my ceramic tweezers a bit like a plasterers float, to make sure all the juice wick is level and flush with the top of the deck and the sides. This is important so that the tank threads won't catch it ,and drag the wicking out of position. You won't know it's done that, until you open the air holes and the juice pours out.

It is fiddly, not going to lie - but it's only the wick thats tricky, and once you figure it out and know what to do, it's generally fairly leak free 90% of the time.

Geekvape Zeus Dual

Only had this less than 24 hrs, however:

Build quality - seems good, Lots of reviews moaned about the top cap fitting, but I have no problem with it to be honest.
Bubble tank is good for capacity, which you will need as it seems to drink the juice.
Flavour - running a 3mm dia. single (yes, in a dual deck...but it can do it) it's bloody good. Virtually on par with the Kylin Mini
Top airflow - like the OBS Engine 2 (or as the OBS was supposed to), doesn't leak . Genuinely the GVZ doesn't appear to leak.

Dual coils probably would be ok but wicking is tricky.

Fine line between too much and dry hit central, and too little where it spits lava. Even though if you believe any of the reviews online, you are supposed to be putting enough wick in to poke down slightly into the juice ports, Imo, the gvz needs wicking to just about reach the juice hole openings when dry. Prime it, and it should then it should just go into the juice holes (like 1mm into it). You also absolutely have to thin the ends out, and quite a bit too. On a 3mm coil you almost have to half the wick density at the ends, in my experience. Once right though, its banging.

GTRS P222.
Everything about it.
IMG_20180422_132308.jpg

Good post I thought, be hard to do a mixed review in the reviews section but I like the idea of reviewing long time used gear, I've missed some good mods and atty's along the way as more new and shiny stuff hits the shelves.

Following on from talk on another thread, it occurred to me that it might be an idea to have peoples comments on kit they've actually had and loved, and also stuff that's been utter tosh - as online reviews don't seem to give the true picture these days.

Not saying list everything you've ever owned, just the stuff that has been really good, or really bad.

I'll kick it off with my thoughts, views and tips:

Mod was ok. If any juice got onto the mod it seemed to find it's way down the fire bar on the side, so whilst it never stopped working, it did feel like it was sticking slightly.

The tank.....hmm.... Flavour, pretty good. Massive clouds (not that I wanted them at the time, but figured big flavour must have to = big clouds). Used to go through juice like nobodys business.

Coils....ugh...the fucking coils. They didn't seem to last long at all. I had, I shit you not, 4 packs of 5 coils, and not one of them was right. The one that came preinstalled in the tank was fine, so bought the same type in a pack of 5 from Greyhaze. Of the first pack, 2 of them I have no idea what was up, but they'd simply leak all the juice out the tank, and were unusable. The other 3 all had wildly varying resistances showing on the mod. Were all supposed to be 0.4ohm, 2 were reading at barely above 0.1 ohm, the other one didn't register at all. To be fair Greyhaze sent out a replacement pack (and other subsequent ones without quibble). Second pack, the same, but all coils read between 0.12 - 0.16 ohms. Third pack, mixture of not registering at all, low resistance and a piss-juice edition. Repeat. I gave up, that put me off Smok products for good.

OBS Engine 2

Over hyped and underperformed, for me at least.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/.../threads/obs-engine-2-lacking-flavour.163798/

Nicely built, looks good and isn't huge. Fill system is good.

Build deck, ok. Reviews make out building it is brain surgery. It's not. A bit fiddly, yes. You can't put bigger than 2.5mm coils in it in my experience. As someone else said, less metal in this is a good thing.

I couldn't get any real flavour out of it though. It wasn't completely absent, just very muted.

Wicking - process simply. Quantity needed is a fine line between too much and too little. Too little and it floods and spits when refilled and you'll easily loose half a tank of juice in this process (it must siphon out). Never really got a dry hit as such, just took much wicking and what little flavour you can get is dulled further.

Best results I got with it were 6 wrap, 26g ni-80 flat wire, positioned as high as possible to the posts without touching the post screw area, running at 50-55w depending on the juice. For me, this worked better than having them lower down.

Quite restricted draw on it due to the cramped deck once wicked. Not terrible, just not as much airflow as any other tank I've had.

I thought I'd reply to a couple of your reviews to add my experiences.

I have never owned the Smok Alien Mini, which I assume you mean the AL85, but I had a Smok Alien and it was utter junk. Started off well, but soon began to disintegrate. The tank however was and still is fantastic. Mine came with the pre-TPD 4ml Baby Beast. I agree with you about Smok coils, they are very hit and miss, also expensive. Which is why it spent months in a draw unused, replaced by an iJoy Limitless RDTA. But then I went to the US for a few weeks and living out of a suitcase I didn't want to take, tools and all of my wicking gear. So I got out the old Baby Beast and bought a 5 pack of Q2 coils. It was a great performer. So when I got back from the States I bought it an RBA kit and haven't looked back. It is flavoursome, so much more so than any of my other tanks (iJoy Limitless Plus RDTA, Wotofo RDTA, Wotofo SMM). It takes minutes to do the wicks and coils. It doesn't leak. It is easy to fill and spares are available everywhere. The stock coils were massive clouds, Ok flavour and had a bit of a drink habit. With an RBA I am the master of my own destiny, I can control the flavour, the clouds, the juice consumption and the cost of ownership. Recoiling it costs me around 28p a year and wicking is less than 1p a week.

I have enjoyed the Baby Beast RBA experience so much I have bought 3 Big Baby Beasts with RBAs off of @Vapaneezer Scrooge (2 for me and one for the Wife) and I got the Wife a pair of Smok Spirals with RBAs as she enjoys a MTL like experience with CBD juice, which the Spirals does perfectly. I have only had a day or so playing with the Big Baby Beast, but it is just like the Baby but bigger.

To sum up, Smok tanks in stock form give a mediocre experience. Smok tanks in RBA form are great. The wife and I like them so much I am retiring the rest of my tanks.

OBS Engine 2

I nearly got one of these. I had seen all the reviews of all the variations of the original Engine and could find nothing negative on forums, the general consensus was that they were one of the best tanks out there. So when I saw that the Engine 2 was about to be released I figured I wait on that. I watched and read every review on the Engine 2 and really got caught up in the hype. When it appeared on FT it sold out pretty quick. I was disappointed, but then I started seeing threads like yours on various forums and Reddit. So didn't bother.

Now the Engine 2 has been around for a little while I am seeing more and more comments about people that got caught up in the hype, bought it only to discover it really didn't meet the hype.

"Uwell Crown 3

Flavour - great.
Build quality - crap.
Heat build up - insane

Bearing in mind the 0.4ohm coils are 55-65w and the 0.25 are 75-85w, this tank gets way too hot in my view. After 4-5 drags in close succession, the tank is hot to touch by hand and drip tip is uncomfortable. Hot enough in fact that you physically can't undo the top cap to refill, as everything has expanded due to the heat.

Incidentally, top cap fitting is horrid. Threading feels awful and grinds open and closed, you've never really sure if the cap is on properly, or if you've just stripped the threads.

Honks through juice.

Coils scenario has reminded me of the Smok fiasco, and hence it's putting me off using it. I only use sub ohm tanks when I want to be sure I'm not going to get a pocket full of juice on a day/night out. Reviews say coils last for weeks. Bullshit. No different from any others. Coils also seem to leak, well, 3 of the 4 I've had so far have leaked juice through and out the air holes."

I disagree on the build quality. Mine are very well made.
I can't see why the coils remind you of the Smok fiasco, when you have only used 4 of them. None of mine leak to any great extent, and I never have a problem removing the top cap, no matter how hot the tank gets. My coils do last for weeks.

Not sure what to do here, got a load of mods I have just photographed and was going to give brief reviews, might be best I start another thread?

Example:
Lost Vape Therion BF DNA75C
My first squonker with a DNA chip-set, very chuffed with it, the escribe software is great and easy for the basics though the custom themes are defeating me so far, but back to the mod, by far the best quality squonk mod I've bought, the screen is superb, feels so good in your hand and I think it's a classy bit of kit, the squonk experience is a real pleasure, it's flaws are the battery life if you prefer a warmer vape, I've had to find a compromise build or swap batteries often, also the battery changing can be a little fiddly but quickly used to that and it doesn't bother me.
Score 7 out of 10 - Only due to the single 18650 battery life, a dual battery version would be heaven.

LH6A0168.jpg

@Russell :) From this I am assuming that you haven't discovered the various Reviews Sections on the forum? There are plenty of em so we really don't need yet another. Sorry and all that. Thread CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom