What's new

GeekVape Zeus X Mesh RTA

Got all the Zues kit I ordered today from Sourcemore and the first tank is now built and I'm vaping away on 58W with the airflow 1/4 open and I have to say it's nice but I'm wondering if I didn't cut the cotton short enough. I've used one of their Ni80 strips with a piece of Wotofo 6mm. I originally increased the watts slowly from 40W to 68W and it was vaping really well and it felt like I was almost drinking the juice. However, after a while it started dry hitting so I've dropped the watts back down and it's mostly OK again at 58W but I think I possibly ended up with too much cotton in the juice wells. I was trying to avoid pushing too much in but maybe I did because it had too much to push back out of the way.

Here's my first attempt to wick it so what do you guys think?

View attachment 228405

View attachment 228404
TBH around 58w will be the limit on those mesh strips.
With so much cotton like that its just going to get squashed up by the bell cap.

20200915_075904.jpg

TBH around 58w will be the limit on those mesh strips.
With so much cotton like that its just going to get squashed up by the bell cap.

View attachment 228411

I used a Wotofo 6mm in it which seems like about the right fit but you're right about how far out I've wicked it and trying to make sure it doesn't protrude out further than the thread. I'm also toying with the idea of thinning out the Wotofo a bit so it isn't quite so squashed but I don't want to over saturate the cotton or I'll be literally drinking the juice and having it spitting like crazy.

I used a Wotofo 6mm in it which seems like about the right fit but you're right about how far out I've wicked it and trying to make sure it doesn't protrude out further than the thread. I'm also toying with the idea of thinning out the Wotofo a bit so it isn't quite so squashed but I don't want to over saturate the cotton or I'll be literally drinking the juice and having it spitting like crazy.
So long as youve tucked the bottom threads of cotton in the juice well it won't flood.
You'll get there it just feels like going against the grain with all that cotton:2thumbsup:

What works for me is having the cotton thick enough and short enough so that it only just goes through the wicking port and when you put the bell housing on it's tight enough to be able to pick up the deck without it falling off. The cotton needs to be wide but short. No gurgling or dry hits this way. Works for me anyway but everyone seems to have their own method.

I've found a way to get the cotton lasting longer in mine. 6 weeks on and still not changed.

I find it goes well for a few weeks after install, then sometimes get a slight hint of burnt hit. This is when i find wicking is starting to slow. All i've done is remove the deck, take a sewing needle, and push it down the edges of the cotton in the juice wells to create an air channel. It allows the air to get in the tank better, and the cotton to wick more. Gives me a good few weeks more before changeover, and doesn't flood either :)

Here's how I do it (I'll copy this into the thread in the newcomers sections as well):
Starting with 3/4 of a strip of Cotton Bacon Prime, I make my initial cuts:
SFbloym.jpg

Tuck the bottoms into the wick ports:
dOKAatZ.jpg

Prime with e-liquid (a yummy banana custard of my own formulation):
g6HBWMw.jpg

Fill and enjoy!
cpEknfQ.jpg

I don't bother with easing the wick in by upping the wattage in stages - straight to 65w with the airflow 1/3 closed, which is optimal for me. The whole thing takes about 5 minutes including taking the photos and the tank is wicking like a champ. Couldn't be easier or quicker IMO. Straight cuts as opposed to angled ones work just the same but I prefer having less cotton to faff about with personally. Both ways still leave plenty of cotton in place to reduce the air in the chamber and ensure that the ends of the mesh are kept in constant contact with the cotton (which is what I think they are there for).

Noticed that on the Profile RDTA you don't need to cram as much cotton into the juice well, sometimes with the Zeus i find that putting plenty of cotton in the juice well works fine but sometimes it doesn't work so good. I think i prefer the straight cut because you kind of have more freedom placing your cotton whereas angled you have like a set amount that you have cut to.

Thanks everyone. Really love how good those photos are @memzey. That's so helpful.

It's vaping really nicely right now for me so I'm gonna wait a couple of days because I'm waiting on my new Fiskars scissors to arrive so I can rewick it then and try out the scissors. :)

I do love this tank, but I do struggle to get it to work consistently. I know it's my wicking skills (or lack theirof) but I find it going unused in favour of the destiny as it's just much simpler and easier to wick.

So far I'm finding it easy to wick. The only way that didnt work well was the first one I tried with the angle having it shorter at the bottom than the top. Angled with shorter at the top and also just straight both seem to work fine without any faff. Using straight atm as I need sharper scissors to cut angles easier.

I've ordered a second one so I can rotate flavours as finding it can take a couple of refills before the new flavour comes through properly with this.

Back
Top Bottom