What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Faulty socialites ego battery

markryan

Initiate
I purchased a socialites kit, 2 batts, 2 tanks, usb charger, and bottle of juice from a socialites selling stand in our precinct. The total cost was £50 and as I was new to vaping, did not know if this was a good price or not at the time.

Overall I am generally happy with what I purchased except for a couple of things. The ego style batterys have the normal lights on the switch which tell you the charge level when pressed, red, amber, green. But one thing I liked about their kit was the end of the battery lit up the same colour as well.

This kit was purchased 4 weeks ago and now 1 of the batterys does not light up on the end, this I can live with, so what, no big deal but it also does not seem to hold a charge for very long compared to the other battery and also the batterys from my wifes kit.

I am considering taking it back to the vendor but can see them trying to fob me off about the battery not holding charge.

Surely the battery should not be going faulty after 4 weeks, anyone know where I stand on getting it replaced legally. All help grateful

Mark

Sent from my SM-T310 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Not sure on the legal side but I'm sure someone who will know your rights will be along soon. I'd take it back regardless as four weeks is ridiculous. I was actually pleasantly surprised by my socialites stand in Milton Keynes. They seemed fairly knowledgable as far as any if these chain stores are. It also had loads of people round it and that is your weapon. Make sure they are busy and they will want to get rid of you quickly ;)

Polite but firm is the way to go when returning faulty goods face to face. Don't budge from the stand until you get it replaced.

Under the sales of goods act,they are legally obliged to satisfy your request.

Yep as said above, ask firmly but politely for a replacement after explaining the fault.
If they do try and fob you off, you can get trading standards involved.
I have had 2 ego batteries die on me quite quickly, i took them back to LF and they were happy to replace them!

The last thing I had to return was a pair of rather expensive trainers belonging to my son. The sole had almost totally detached from one of them over the course of three weeks. The sales assistant wasn't interested so I stood outside the shop doorway and showed them to every customer who entered the shop. It took about 3 minutes before the manager came running across to give me 5 crisp ten pound notes ;-)

Explain that the other battery you have is working perfectly and you're happy with it, that way they don't think you're trying to pull a fast one etc etc.

I worked in retail 18 years, bottom line is your battery is not fit for purpose as it's only lasted 4 weeks.

You may find they are fabulous about it, I had 2 batteries die in a week that I got from a well known vendor and they were refunded/swapped with no quibble at all.

If they squirm, stand your ground, whatever you do stand your ground, they want you to walk off in a strop vowing never to shop with them again, that really won't bother them in the grand scheme of things. Don't leave until you've been given a refund or replacement.

Not sure I like the sound of having bought them from a 'stand'. I hope you don't mean a Delboy type suitcase and trestle table type of affair.

Assuming all is kosher to a degree, apart from the fact they are selling cheap Chinese rubbish once again, you need to take with you proof of purchase just in case it's asked for, as they are legally entitled to do under the SOGA 1979.
That can be the original receipt or a copy of your bank or credit card statement. It could also be part of the packaging it came in, if it is distinct and unique to the particular company's brand.

Just explain the situation of the battery's poor performance compared to the 'good' one and that you treat that battery exactly the same and as it is quite clearly under-performing, you would like a replacement. They may give you some old spiel or they may just quietly give you a replacement and you'll be on your way. A tip here Mark. Wait until the place is busy with customers before you ask to be attended to as they won't want any fuss in front of new customers. If you leave it until things are quiet you might just get the old runaround routine. Even a half decent eGo style battery should last six months.

If they start to give you a hard time, you don't have to listen to it. All you have to say is " Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, I am well within my rights to seek a replacement of goods, as quite clearly you have sold me goods that have since proven to be faulty and are therefore unfit for purpose"Those are key words Mark. It lets them know that you know the score and won't be fecked about.

If they still prevaricate at this stage, then simply say "Okay, not a problem. I shall be contacting Trading Standards at Hillfield Coach House 1A Denmark Rd, Gloucester GL1 3LD Tel no: 01452 426200, first thing Monday morning", or whatever time/date suits you. Then turn and walk away. It's not worth getting het up over.

Many thanks all for all your advice. Much appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Back
Top Bottom