What's new

Drip tip tolerance

Senor Stuff

Postman
I've usually used the tips that came with the tanks that I've bought so not really come across this before but I bought an Octopus RDA (branded as a TW DDA) and only 1 of my tips fit it, not even the one I bought at the same time. All the tips fit all my other tanks; a vivi nova, aga t+ and generic gennie. It's just this dropper that's playing up.
It's painted blue so I'm wondering if the powder coating has effectively narrowed the hole so most 510 tips won't work. Really annoying as I wanted to try dripping but only just found that this long lost tip fits and I'm heading out now.
Tomorrow I'll use some sand paper to take the paint off and hope that my better tips fit. Just wondered if anyone else has found this with the Octopus, I just got unlucky or if the tolerances of 510 drip tips are just a vague kinda thing

If your drip tips don't fit it's fixable by putting a better sized o-ring on it.

the last batch of drip tips I bought were different colours and I discovered while I was testing them that all drip tips are not created equal, some holes are larger than other holes, even in drip tips I got of the same colour/style I had to use slightly different sized o-rings to make sure they all fit snugly in a boge carto.

If it's too tight and won't go in, and using some kind of lube doesn't help, and the tips fit in other stuff fine, then it's probably the coating making the hole too small and some sanding will fix it. If you fit a smaller o-ring to make it fit that then your tip will wobble a lot in other stuff, which isn't good.

I refuse to buy anything from TW on general principle, so I've not encountered their version of an octapus RDA but get in touch with them and ask them to help.

Tolerances of 510 drip tips can be a bit vague though.

Thanks for the advice, it's not the o-ring that's catching, the bottom of the drip tip is too big to go into the hole at the top of the dripper. I've already taken some of the paint off by trying to force a ss drip tip in. That's why I'm thinking of sandpapering the paint off.
I know TW are a controversial vendor but they have a shop within 10 minutes of my house

I have an octopus and all of my drip tips fit, I would take it back to the vender to get a replacement

they have a shop within 10 minutes of my house

They could be next door and I'd ignore them :) all that aside though, if it's the drip tip that's too big and not the o-ring then that's beyond the vagaries of tolerances and is something the vendor, whoever they are, needs to fix.

Yeah I'm starting to think I might take it back tomorrow. Kinda pisses on the idea that I could buy it in a bricks & mortar shop to have it and use it immediately rather than wait for Mr Postie
Sigh

It's a shame because for the money the octopus is a cracking little dripper and dead easy to rebuild with alot of room to work with.
When you go to replace it take a few of your drip tips with you and check that the replacement is ok

It's a shame because for the money the octopus is a cracking little dripper and dead easy to rebuild with alot of room to work with.
When you go to replace it take a few of your drip tips with you and check that the replacement is ok

That's why I went for it from them, £7.99 and no postage was a bargain. Yep I'm going to take some tips along to check the new one is ok

I also bought a the same and found the hole for the drip tip was a touch larger than normal, After hunting around in my box I found a tip that fits snug. So yes I suppose its just manufacturing tolerances that are a bit off. Dont try and sand it though they are not powder coated,there anodised and then you wont be able to take it back. I'm sure they will replace it if you take your drip tips along to try before you buy.

Very impressed too with the octo, dda.

Back
Top Bottom