What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Disposable Income - does anyone use disposables?

I stripped this one down and I was actually surprised by how economically they had made it, a simple pressure mic thingie (I don't know the technical term), a tiny SMD LED soldered to the back of it and the battery.

I'm trying to work out how the hell they have integrated the battery cut-off as the LED flashes once it's too low (it lights when it vapes but that's through the circuit closing).

The whole thing is pretty tiny, I'm going to strip the coil end next as I'm interested how it delivers such a good vape, my guess is a simple vertical coil wrapped in lots of cotton and soaked in 2ml of liquid and simply connected directly to the circuit wiring.

Diss-posable-1.jpg

The Geekbar was far more elaborate:

Pod_Harvesting.jpg
Pod_Harvesting-2.jpg

I stripped this one down and I was actually surprised by how economically they had made it, a simple pressure mic thingie (I don't know the technical term), a tiny SMD LED soldered to the back of it and the battery.

I'm trying to work out how the hell they have integrated the battery cut-off as the LED flashes once it's too low (it lights when it vapes but that's through the circuit closing).

The whole thing is pretty tiny, I'm going to strip the coil end next as I'm interested how it delivers such a good vape, my guess is a simple vertical coil wrapped in lots of cotton and soaked in 2ml of liquid and simply connected directly to the circuit wiring.

View attachment 250889

The Geekbar was far more elaborate:

View attachment 250890 View attachment 250891
I'm finding this really interesting. Thanks. :)

This is a fascinating debate on the 'virtues' on disposable devices.

Instinctively, I'm with @Simon G on these and don't think they bring anything positive to the party, just adding more to land fill.

I'd never use them in normal life but must confess I have used a couple during my recent stays in hospital as a matter of convenience and stealth just to tide me over. It's always been a bit much to take proper gear in there and in that sense they are a bit of a God send.

On the other hand, it is interesting to see them disassembled and what the manufacturers are actually doing, and you do make a fine point about the TPD element @Vapaneezer Scrooge.

The fact is, that disassembly defeats the object if disposably and most people aren't going to do this and dispose of them properly, so they're mainly just blights on our planet's ecology. These are ultimately lazy devices for lazy people.

My other main bugbear with modern vaping is the 'captive coil' pod system. These just add to the waste too. You may get to reuse the battery but it's still locking people into an economic ecosystem and increasing cost and landfill. I wish the government would focus on this rather than the liquid capacity.

I applaud @Innokin's, @dovpo_hannah's and @Freemaxtech's recent environmental initiatives and sincerely hope we see more of them in the future.

Peace and love to all people, the planet and trees. May you all thrive against the most uncompassionate of out species.

Unlike @Simon G I am a bit of a soppy ecowarrior, but don't hold it against me. I only have love in my heart.

Blessings all.

Aren't stock coils kind of wasteful too? They're not plastic, and (crucially) they don't have a battery, but somehow I can only imagine them going to landfill.

You can add Mods to that list, i think some mods aren't built for longevity so they must also end up as Landfill, it's a funny term Disposable as a lot of things that aren't classed as Disposable often become it.

Aren't stock coils kind of wasteful too? They're not plastic, and (crucially) they don't have a battery, but somehow I can only imagine them going to landfill.

They are... but most are a steel casing... I pull mine to bits, dump the insides and save the shells. I put them in the metal recycling when I'm passing. I have no idea where they end up though.

They are... but most are a steel casing... I pull mine to bits, dump the insides and save the shells. I put them in the metal recycling when I'm passing. I have no idea where they end up though.

Are you telling Porky's ?
Respect if true.

Are you telling Porky's ?
Respect if true.

lol, no! It's pretty much right next to the battery recycling, so it's no big deal.

I think I started doing it early on when I was using the nautilus coils, there was some deal about swapping the bottom pins on the triton mini coils so they worked in the Kakuki clones (or something, I forget exactly) so I started stripping those down and saving the pins and the rubber seals as spares. .. and the empty shells I would keep in a little bag. I did try re-building them with new cotton and wire but it's too much much of a pain.

Then I had an idea to keep every coil I ever used and turn it into an art project, but that didn't happen either. :D

I don't exactly know why I do it, I guess it's more of a 'hoarder/keeping stuff because it might come in handy' trait than any kind of eco-warrior thing.

I just have a thing about throwing metal in the kitchen bin I guess. It just feels like it doesn't belong in there. I do throw the dirty wire in there though. I don't like throwing anything away really. I'm often forced to have 'clear outs' of random junk I seem to accumulate. lol

I am also a hoarder, i never throw anything away even if it's broken or outdated. Once i get something it's generally going to be in my possession for life.

I am also a hoarder, i never throw anything away even if it's broken or outdated. Once i get something it's generally going to be in my possession for life.

It's not always a bad thing, a mate of mine bought a little DAB radio a while back out of the local free ads. It was great condition apart from it didn't have a power cable with it (it was one of those 2 pin figure 8 type) ... so he dropped into mine after buying it to ask if I had one, sure enough 30 seconds later I'd pulled one out of the cupboard. :D

Back
Top Bottom