What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Disposable Income - does anyone use disposables?

Love them or hate them, disposables are looking like they are here to stay, but I am wondering who's buying them, I was sent one recently to test which was 50mg, even though I don't agree with them in principle I did see the appeal for someone attempting to quit the stinkies, a few toots on this really satisfied my morning cravings and I got a rare nicotine high from it.

They make less sense for TPD though as they are far more wasteful, typically 2ml 20mg and 300-500mAh battery so you're lucky if you get 500 draws from them before they are landfill fodder, I say landfill but the batteries are hazardous and should be removed if possible before disposing.

For those that aren't under the TPD thumb, I'm seeing more are now higher capacity in battery and juice, 12ml in one case and with a sensible 650mAh rechargeable battery, there's no getting away from disposables being wasteful, but something like this makes it much less so, with an estimated 4,000 puffs for around £6 which lasts around 8 times longer than a TPD crap one and then there's the 50mg factor over doubles the nicotine hit you get, so your closer to 8,000 puffs for £6! It's pretty hard to argue with that as far as value for money goes.

Onto what's wasted, I stripped a TPD one down (see attached photos), the following is potential landfill:
Plastic casings (I would be surprised if these make it to the recyclable pile)
Coil section.
Electronics (auto-draw and power delivery board).

The batteries are actually salvageable though as they are usually 3.7v LiPo rechargeable, these have been very useful for me as I dabble with electronics and LED stuff.

The amount of waste is pretty much the same for larger capacity regular ones and TPD shite, obviously the larger then the waste is increased.

Playing devils advocate I can actually see the value in disposables for people trying to quit smoking and on occasion for regular vapers for emergency use, especially the non TPD higher capacity ones.

So is the UK market for these a lost cause?

Your thoughts? (I'm expecting plenty of :12::ape::angrymob::banghead::gunban::mad:)

Attachments

• Pod_Harvesting.jpg
    Pod_Harvesting.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Pod_Harvesting-2.jpg
    Pod_Harvesting-2.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Pod_Harvesting-3.jpg
    Pod_Harvesting-3.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Pod_Harvesting-4.jpg
    Pod_Harvesting-4.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 48
I think they're scary.

I see the market and I see the benefits and convenience. It would be a massive win, except... the massive landfill problem.

I struggle to imagine users of these devices taking part in responsible disposal. I mean, the hassle of that pretty much outweighs any convenience they offer doesn't it?

Seem like a waste of money to me, buying something to throw away is just not something i would do. I mean how long would they last 2 or 3 days maybe. If you don't know what to do with your money send it to me i will spend it wisely for you i promise.

For the record, I'm against them in general, the world would be better off without disposable stuff, how ever I feel far more sadness looking at the amount that goes into my wheelie bin every fortnight.

My only hope for these devices is that they are a bridge to quit smoking, if so then they are worth it.

I think the value for money side of it is a little mute for the price, not far off the price of a coil and 10ml of nic salts but at 50mg then it would actually make it cheaper. someone new to vaping could be fully up and running for £6 with no additional coil/liquid/hardware costs.

I don't really see it being a money issue, clearly the red rag to a bull is the waste side of it, I'm not a fan of disposables in general, including coils, pods, empty juice bottles etc. which I'm pretty sure get sorted into landfill even though I sort them into the recycling.

I tend to throw my metal coils away when the weight gets substantial in the hope they tempt the sorters.

the only waste here is some wee coiled bits of wire and a thin strip of cotton when i can be arsed rebuilding a device. everything else is sustainable.

Most of these disposables only have about 2ml of juice in the pods so it can work out at £25 to £30 for 10ml of pretty mediocre juice at best compared to £5 for top shelf, high quality salts or Freebase MTL juice. Most can't be recharged, so it could easily have sat in a warehouse for months and be at half charge or close to DOA when you buy it, and without a clear date of manufacture and expiry date of the juice how to you know how old the juice is. These details may be on the packaging somewhere, but you can guarantee they will be microscopic, and probably in orange print on a slightly different orange background..

I did read a review of a disposable with a decent sized lipo and juice that was rechargeable (Geekvape?), but I don't understand why they bothered - it would cost pennies more to manufacture the same system with replaceable pods,, and their profit margins would be much higher selling packs of replacement pods.

Although I really dislike disposables - if I was miles from home and my vape died on me I WOULD BUY ONE to get me through the day but there's no way I'd consider vaping these regularly. If I knew someone who vapes these I'd give them one of my single18650 mods with a stock coil MTL tank and battery and try to steer them away from disposables - waste, cost, landfill, they're shit etc.

Last edited:
I see the appeal if your about 12 and not wanting to get caught by the headmaster but that’s about it for me.

I think it’s irresponsible for companies to even contemplate making them. I blame these for all the bans etc going on in the world. As they are too accessible to kids

And don’t get me going on waste.

I know Greta is an active member on here . Hope she speaks out.

:yourock:

Back
Top Bottom