What's new

Dingo / Kayfun Battery Problem - Any ideas folks - Help needed - Thanks in advance...

Soldier Blue

The Vaper that "Can't be aroused."
Most weeks I have to travel away for work so I pack up my vaping bag and I leave a selection of mods at home and I have a problem with one of my set ups.....

I have a Dingo in 18350 mode with a Kick extension which houses a Kick 2 and an AW IMR in it - on the top I have a Kayfun 3.1. When I arrive home after a few days away the battery is flat - I'm talking about right down to about a volt but no less. I always leave it turned off and the last few weeks I thought it was just a coincidence but it is clearly not. I'm not new to vaping (my third year now) so I always check the coil for shorts etc' and have never previously had a problem. It's set at around 1.6 / 1.7 ohms. I've re coiled it about three times and it's happened every time.

Now I have similar set ups that I leave at home including a Paps with a Kayfun on top and various other mechs etc' and for some reason it only ever happens with the set up listed above ??????

I've just checked the coil again and it's fine - no shorts.

So what the feck could it be - I'm assuming it's a short of some description on the Kayfun but as I turn the Dingo off and the Kayfun is not shorting when I test it with my multimeter and on a Vamo I'm a bit stuck.

Thanks in advance for any help folks - SB.

Bloody troublemaker. You stay away all week and then bring us your shit home. Anyway Jase, what's up with not taking a laptop with you?

And now the mystery...maybe. A few musings ensues.

Numero uno. Can't say as I'm a lover of AW batteries, even though they were the go to battery in the states a couple of years back. Firstly, they have since been proven to not be the dog's gonads as was first thought. Secondly, they are one of the most ripped off batteries out there. How old is it?

Number two in Italian. The Kick, mmmm..... now whilst it would create an increase in impedance to the circuit, I can't see it draining a battery. Especially to that dangerous degree. I'm surprised something hasn't gone pop. The Kick doesn't function once the battery gets below 3.2v. The other thing is that the Kick has to make a good electrical contact at all times with the side of of the Dingo tube.

The IMR is unprotected so if it had been a short it would have continued to discharge but then why did it not reach thermal runaway? Have you got a protected ICR you could try in it next time? Then as soon and if it shorted, the in-built protection circuit in the battery would kick in and the state of charge would remain as it was at cut-off.

Is there a chance that the dingo switch could have been livened in some way and it naturally drained the battery, bypassing it's discharge cut-off threshold?

After all that you say, I would initially go for the battery. But then have you recharged it since and how's it been?

Have you got an Atmizoo bug?

Or a Panny CGH hybrid battery?

End of musings for now.

Logical hat says, why not pack them individually and assemble them when you get to your destination?

Do you have the same problem without the kick? Maybe it's the kick?

Does this Dingo have the fire button on top, right above the Kick? If so that's the problem, and there is no solution.

BTW your choice of AW is sound and a good choice.

Does this Dingo have the fire button on top, right above the Kick? If so that's the problem, and there is no solution.

BTW your choice of AW is sound and a good choice.

Yes it does. I've been thinking about this. I'm thinking that the kick is creating a circuit without the button being pressed.

It basically has to do with the way electrons, which are negatively charged, flow through a battery. They flow from negative to positive. I guess having a full time battery neg to Kick neg connection causes the slight drain. A standard bottom switch PV does not have this full time connection.

In actuality what is really happening in a top switch PV the Kick is fully connected to the battery, all the switch is doing is connecting the Kick to the atty. The Kick is in fact connected to the battery, powered and ready to go. The small amount of current it uses while in this ready state is referred to as Quiescent current. If you look at datasheets of various regulators etc. that amount will be listed. The once popular MadVapes 5V linear reg lists it's Quiescent Current @ 10 mA.

Last edited:
Bloody troublemaker. You stay away all week and then bring us your shit home. Anyway Jase, what's up with not taking a laptop with you?

And now the mystery...maybe. A few musings ensues.

Numero uno. Can't say as I'm a lover of AW batteries, even though they were the go to battery in the states a couple of years back. Firstly, they have since been proven to not be the dog's gonads as was first thought. Secondly, they are one of the most ripped off batteries out there. How old is it?

Number two in Italian. The Kick, mmmm..... now whilst it would create an increase in impedance to the circuit, I can't see it draining a battery. Especially to that dangerous degree. I'm surprised something hasn't gone pop. The Kick doesn't function once the battery gets below 3.2v. The other thing is that the Kick has to make a good electrical contact at all times with the side of of the Dingo tube.

The IMR is unprotected so if it had been a short it would have continued to discharge but then why did it not reach thermal runaway? Have you got a protected ICR you could try in it next time? Then as soon and if it shorted, the in-built protection circuit in the battery would kick in and the state of charge would remain as it was at cut-off.

Is there a chance that the dingo switch could have been livened in some way and it naturally drained the battery, bypassing it's discharge cut-off threshold?

After all that you say, I would initially go for the battery. But then have you recharged it since and how's it been?

Have you got an Atmizoo bug?

Or a Panny CGH hybrid battery?

End of musings for now.

Firstly fuck you whiskey drinker, some of us have to work for a living :P and yes I do take my laptop with me but your posts are that boring I daren't open them for fear of sleeping whilst I'm working :grin2:

Secondly, the problem is with the mechs I leave at home whilst I'm away.

Do you have the same problem without the kick? Maybe it's the kick?

No, the Kick is fine - most of my mechs I use without a Kick but I've got the Grants loaded up in the Kayfun and I like it just the way it is. I've had it in without a Kick and the same problem ?????????

Back
Top Bottom