What's new

Different types of coils

pipistroller

Postman
Hi everyone,

I've recently gone to dripping which I am loving. Started with Grim Green Recoil which I have had for so long but only since I was using my kensei I learned to change coils and wick. Hubby bought me a Dot RDA for my birthday which I think is amazing. He got me the trinity glass to go with it so I sit like a kid watching the vape in it lolol.

I have only ever used kanthal coils as I have only ever vaped in wattage mode.

Is there a difference in taste and vapour production in stainless steel or any of the other types of coils? I know they have to be vaped in temp mode which to be honest I have no clue about.

Do you think I am better just carrying on with kanthal coils and maybe try hive or staple stagged claptons and other types rather than trying to get my head around temp mode coils?

Remember I am REALLY dumb:8::8::imstupid:8::8::8:

Ni80 is really good for more complex coils. I believe it has a faster ramp up/down than Kanthal. Wattage mode only.

I use twisted Kanthal in "work mods" @12mg. And Ni80 fused staple eric clapton wtf is it an alien in my "home mods" @6mg.

Stainless steel can be used in wattage or temp. control, so would be a good choice for you, if you don't get on with temp. control, just revert back to watts mode, as for flavour, everyone has different tastes, but there's a definite difference between SS and Kanthal.
More complex coils can produce better flavour, (but not always), they also usually require more power, and have longer ramp up times.

Hi @pipistroller
You may have the wrong end of the vape.
You can use most wires in wattage mode including SS but there are only a couple of wire materials for temp mode.
I find SS316L wires in wattage mode gives a clean, consistant, flavourful vape.

@pipistroller - No, you're not dumb, you just have differing areas of interest and concern!

As above, SS can be used in proper Wattage mode and it is lovely stuff.
If you want to be fancy ish yet not too radical, have a look at this stuff: https://www.stealthvape.co.uk/brochrome-nichrome-80-flat-wire. Finest kind kit. Makes large sized coils and has lots more surface area to make tasty vapours. Easy to work with too. Used it in my mechs a lot and it is still going strong in my currently used kit.

The awfy fancy coils, for me, aren't worth the hassle, I get just as good a toot fae the Brochrome and for sure I had a LOT less footering when making and settling in the coils.

Hi @pipistroller
You may have the wrong end of the vape.
You can use most wires in wattage mode including SS but there are only a couple of wire materials for temp mode.
I find SS316L wires in wattage mode gives a clean, consistant, flavourful vape.
I agreewith the SS wire, though I use SS316L and SS317L depends on the availability of the wire gauges i need and which ones Crazywire have in stock, lol

Hi everyone,

I've recently gone to dripping which I am loving. Started with Grim Green Recoil which I have had for so long but only since I was using my kensei I learned to change coils and wick. Hubby bought me a Dot RDA for my birthday which I think is amazing. He got me the trinity glass to go with it so I sit like a kid watching the vape in it lolol.

I have only ever used kanthal coils as I have only ever vaped in wattage mode.

Is there a difference in taste and vapour production in stainless steel or any of the other types of coils? I know they have to be vaped in temp mode which to be honest I have no clue about.

Do you think I am better just carrying on with kanthal coils and maybe try hive or staple stagged claptons and other types rather than trying to get my head around temp mode coils?

Remember I am REALLY dumb:8::8::imstupid:8::8::8:
I remember when i first started coil building (24G SS317L, 3mm bit and 8 wraps) thanks to a bit of advice from a couple of the guys on here (Hazza and Soldier Blue, cheers lads [emoji106]) and watching a fair few coil building tutorials on YouTube I have a decent arsenal of coils I can throw together as and when needed - personal favourites being 26G and 28G Aliens with a 0.15mm wrap (can't remember the AWG equivalent I'm afraid just going on whats written on the spool)

Theres no such thing as being dumb in vaping (not including battery safety and ohms law) we all started off some where and through forums like this the learning possibilities are endless [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

i have just put in 2 x 0.2 staple staggered coils into my Grim Green Recoil. I'm still working my way up the wattage and only at 90 so far. Took a big draw on it and filled my room with vape !! It's a fog machine !! I've never done that before:happy guys:

i have just put in 2 x 0.2 staple staggered coils into my Grim Green Recoil. I'm still working my way up the wattage and only at 90 so far. Took a big draw on it and filled my room with vape !! It's a fog machine !! I've never done that before:happy guys:
Oh dear Odin, what have we done? Another smog monster is created.....

Glad its working out for you, see you're no daft, just you're plain obnoxious now!!:D

Back
Top Bottom