What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

COV Trident 60W - design fault???

Andy S

Postman
I've tested two of these and they have the same problem so I doubt it's a coincidence. I think the basic software is wrong.

Here's the problem: In Wattage mode you have five memory slots and you can set whatever power you want for each of those slots then you scroll between them. Not a particularly useful idea IMO but there it is. So anyway, in all five slots and in all ramp-up options, you get WAY more power than you set. For example, I put an NRG tank with a coil reading as 0.19 Ohm on the device and it worked all the way down to the mod's minimum setting of 7W. There's no way that coil should work at all at 7W. With the mod set at 30W it felt like 50. I get similar results from a variety of tanks, drippers, low res, high res... anything I put on this device I get this issue. I borrowed another one to compare with the one I bought and it was exactly the same. Unfortunately there's no voltage mode on the device so it's hard to gauge exactly what the discrepancy is - maybe a percentage increase over what's set, or maybe a fixed number of Watts on top, hard to say. It has a bypass mode which is also difficult to gauge as it's not very efficient so you don't get anywhere near the same performance as a mech. And no, it's not permanently in bypass mode because changing the Wattage setting does change the power, it's just not the power you asked for, it's a hell of a lot more.

I've had a few COV devices over the years. Some have been good, some terrible. This one, unless I'm doing something wrong and someone can tell me how to make it work properly, is potentially dangerous IMO and fit for the bin.

I've tested two of these and they have the same problem so I doubt it's a coincidence. I think the basic software is wrong.

Here's the problem: In Wattage mode you have five memory slots and you can set whatever power you want for each of those slots then you scroll between them. Not a particularly useful idea IMO but there it is. So anyway, in all five slots and in all ramp-up options, you get WAY more power than you set. For example, I put an NRG tank with a coil reading as 0.19 Ohm on the device and it worked all the way down to the mod's minimum setting of 7W. There's no way that coil should work at all at 7W. With the mod set at 30W it felt like 50. I get similar results from a variety of tanks, drippers, low res, high res... anything I put on this device I get this issue. I borrowed another one to compare with the one I bought and it was exactly the same. Unfortunately there's no voltage mode on the device so it's hard to gauge exactly what the discrepancy is - maybe a percentage increase over what's set, or maybe a fixed number of Watts on top, hard to say. It has a bypass mode which is also difficult to gauge as it's not very efficient so you don't get anywhere near the same performance as a mech. And no, it's not permanently in bypass mode because changing the Wattage setting does change the power, it's just not the power you asked for, it's a hell of a lot more.

I've had a few COV devices over the years. Some have been good, some terrible. This one, unless I'm doing something wrong and someone can tell me how to make it work properly, is potentially dangerous IMO and fit for the bin.
With the exception of the wraith which was actually a little cracker, the tempest line all suffered with issues, hence why the 200w tempest was available at bargain basement prices from china pretty quickly(we're talking a tenner).
Shame as c.o.v started out well and I quite liked the memory style menu on the wraith.

Back
Top Bottom