What's new

Coils and wattage

Orphiel

Initiate
I'm getting really confused around coils, wattage etc. Basically getting burnt taste pretty quickly on my 1.8 and 1.6 bvc coils for the aspire nautilus 2 (detailed in another thread) and am wondering if it's because I'm using high vg juice - least vg I use is 60vg/40pg and that's custard flavour.
It took me ages to find a juice I could use, and I'm pretty sensitive to pg, so I can't really change that bit of it. I've got 0.7 coils for the nautilus 2, but I do mtl and high nicotine, and don't want to change that either. If I use the 0.7 coils, but don't turn up the wattage, will that be 'stronger' if you see what I mean, and will it cause problems using the coils at lower than recommended wattage? Is it even the coils that make the difference with being able to vape high vg? As a new vaper, I don't know what actually makes the difference, whether it's the tank or the coils. Also don't know if there's a difference between coil 'gunking up' and coil burning! Seen references to both.
I'm going to clean out this tank now and put in a 0.7 coil to see if there's any difference, but I'm just a bit frustrated with working out what the problem is. I love the feel of the nautilus 2, but would be open to getting another tank that works well with high vg and mtl, but seems like most of the high vg liquids are designed for dtl sub ohm stuff, which I don't enjoy, and more importantly will not keep me off the fags! Also not interested or confident about rebuilding, so really don't want to have to bother with that.

Any help? Please :) Happy to answer any questions about set up you need to troubleshoot, I don't know what's important and what isn't! Am going away this weekend to an event I used to smoke at a lot, and really would like to get things sorted before then so I'm not tempted!

PS am already priming the tank before every vape session, as heard that would help, also keeping wattage around 8 watts, keeping tank over 1/3rd full at all times, and airflow doesn't seem to make a difference.

The Nautilus coils should be able to handle up to 70VG juice. Higher than that and you will get a burnt taste as it won't be able to wick fast enough. I've got 70VG in 2 x Nautilus Minis with 1.6 coils and no issues.
I haven't used the 0.7 coils yet but I think they're rated at around 20 watts. Using them at lower wattage probably won't help.
A coil that's gunked up may well taste burnt.
I wouldn't go above 70VG with any Nautilus coil.
I never prime my coils. I just fill the tank and let it stand for 15 minutes before vaping.

It could be your liquid. I have no experience with Nic Salts. Have you tried using "normal" liquids.

The ability to vape high VG is all about the wicking/design of the coil.

I don't personally find any nautilus coil suitable for 70%... although obviously we might all have different experiences with that, depending on how many puffs you take in a row, how long you leave it between puffs, how long your draws are, what wattage etc.

there's a big difference between gunk and burning ... gunk is just crap build up mainly on the metal of the coil which can give you a yucky mucky dirty taste, burning is when you burn the cotton around the coil, you can burn cotton if it's too dry or the temp of the coil is too hot.

Cheers for the explanations with gunk and 0.7 stuff, that's really helpful. I've actually got some normal 70 vg liquid in there now with a 1.6 coil after reading that, so hopefully that'll test if it's the salts, although they seem pretty clear and non gloopy tbh, so would be surprised.
I do tend to vape quite fast I think, so maybe I'll try slowing it down a bit and see if that helps.

Right, new 1.6 coil with 70/30 normal (non salt) liquid still tasting a bit like burnt toast, grr. Only at 7.5 watts so don't know what I'm doing wrong! If I use the 0.7 coil will it be better for the higher vg do you think? And is it bad if I run it at 10 watts or under - does that cause any problems?

Right, new 1.6 coil with 70/30 normal (non salt) liquid still tasting a bit like burnt toast, grr. Only at 7.5 watts so don't know what I'm doing wrong! If I use the 0.7 coil will it be better for the higher vg do you think? And is it bad if I run it at 10 watts or under - does that cause any problems?

....like I said before.

I don't personally find any nautilus coil suitable for 70%.

If I can't run it at the watts I want and take a puff when I want then as far as I'm concerned it doesn't work.

You can try taking shorter puffs, turning the wattage right down, leaving a good few minutes between each puff..... but you'll just have to try.

....like I said before.

I don't personally find any nautilus coil suitable for 70%.

If I can't run it at the watts I want and take a puff when I want then as far as I'm concerned it doesn't work.

You can try taking shorter puffs, turning the wattage right down, leaving a good few minutes between each puff..... but you'll just have to try.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the same, just want to exhaust all my options before shelling out for a new tank! Also there seems to be a real lack of mtl options for higher vg :(

Yeah, I'm starting to think the same, just want to exhaust all my options before shelling out for a new tank! Also there seems to be a real lack of mtl options for higher vg :(

yeah, that is very true.

I just re-read your original post, are you having problems with the 60Vg you have too?

I vape 60VG quite often without any issues, so if that works for you I can point you to two very good ranges in 60% VG

One being Manabush Spiritwalker, the other being Digbys

http://www.vapeclub.co.uk/manabush-e-liquids/spiritwalker-eliquid-by-manabush.html
http://www.vapeclub.co.uk/e-liquids/digbys-juice-eliquid.html

Well I'm at a loss. I've recently gone through 9 x 10ml bottles of 70VG with my 1.6 coils and no issues. Your VG must be really thick or you've maybe got duff coils.
Sorry I couldn't help.
Some say the 0.7 coils have bigger holes but I'm not sure they have.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom