What's new

Coil Life

Johnno1O1

Hi All,

I have an Eleaf Pico with a Melo 3 tank which I've had for a few years and Has been great. I used Hangeng 10ml juice for some time aand then changed to QCig 10ml as I wanted a 3mg juice which Hanseng didn't do.

My normal supplier wasn't able to ship anything for a week or so I tried a shortfill juice from a local shop. Shortfill seemed rather a good idea so I carried on with for a few weeks using a Kingston Lemon & Lime but I noticed my coils weren't lasting very long - a week or less with the shortfill and maybe 2 months or more with the 10ml juices.

I tried using some Broke Baller lemon and lime as this was a 50/50 mix against the Kingston juice 70/30 but this hasn't really made any difference.

The coils are 0.5 ohm and I normally vape at 30W. I've tried turning the power down to 20W but this hasn't made any real difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Cheers!

Dave

Hi and welcome,
One of the worst things for coil life is eliquids that have sweeteners in them. You also need to prime your coils when using them for the first time and ease them in.
When you put in a new coil put a few drops of liquid in each wicking hole then fill the tank and leave the coil to soak in for at least half an hour. Then take a few draws without any power then set the power low, take a few draws, put the power up a bit, take more and so on until you reach the desired wattage. I don't know the liquids you are using but I'd suggest maybe taking a look at Prime Vapes as the liquids are very good and won't be overly sweetened.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I had been adding juice to the wicking hole but most of the time I then just powered it on straight away. Will certainly give it more time to soak and gradually increase the wattage.

Cheers!

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I had been adding juice to the wicking hole but most of the time I then just powered it on straight away. Will certainly give it more time to soak and gradually increase the wattage.

Cheers!
No probs at all, that's what we are here for, better to ask and see if someone knows! Yeah give it time to soak in and start the wattage really low, I normally start at 5w and then build up in 5w increments. That way the coil has time to really soak and properly bed in rather than just firing away which can burn the coil pretty quickly.
Good luck and happy vaping!

Thought I'd add an update to this as I think I've found out what the problem is. I went back to buying the 10ml juice but because I liked the convenience of the short-fill bottle I decanted a number of 10ml bottles into it.

The first time I came to refill my tank it was much quicker which indicates to me that the viscosity of the 10ml juices is lower.

I'm thinking that the lower viscosity allows the juice to wick into the coil quicker and now I'm back to coils lasting several weeks or more.

Thought I'd add an update to this as I think I've found out what the problem is. I went back to buying the 10ml juice but because I liked the convenience of the short-fill bottle I decanted a number of 10ml bottles into it.

The first time I came to refill my tank it was much quicker which indicates to me that the viscosity of the 10ml juices is lower.

I'm thinking that the lower viscosity allows the juice to wick into the coil quicker and now I'm back to coils lasting several weeks or more.
This is a factor. To maximize your coil life you want to ensure your juice wicks well and doesn't contain sweeteners or "dirty" flavors (some flavors like to leave a lot of residue on the wick when they heat up). You can try mixing your own juice, that will both help with coil life and save you a pretty penny if you're in a tight spot. I'm working for prothesiswriter.com now so I can afford to buy premade liquids.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom