What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Coil Cleaning...

Skeety

Hi All,

New around here, looked at search but couldn't see anything about this for the last few years.

I have seen a few different videos about cleaning and re-using sub ohm coils, not rebuilding them.

Basic idea is to soak them in robbing alcohol\vodka for 24 hours, then mineral water for 24 hours then dry them for 24 hours.

The main think seems to be to do this before they start to taste burnt. I always prime my coils before installation then let them soak then inhaling a good few times before firing at a much lower wattage than the top level then slowly increasing power.

Do any of you do this or any other method of coil cleaning? Experiences and advice welcome :)

Cheers,

Jon.

Hi All,

New around here, looked at search but couldn't see anything about this for the last few years.

I have seen a few different videos about cleaning and re-using sub ohm coils, not rebuilding them.

Basic idea is to soak them in robbing alcohol\vodka for 24 hours, then mineral water for 24 hours then dry them for 24 hours.

The main think seems to be to do this before they start to taste burnt. I always prime my coils before installation then let them soak then inhaling a good few times before firing at a much lower wattage than the top level then slowly increasing power.

Do any of you do this or any other method of coil cleaning? Experiences and advice welcome :)

Cheers,

Jon.
How would all the gunk come away from the coil or the cotton pressed against the coil with soaking them? Sounds like bullshit to me and not worth the time and effort, if stock coils are too expensive go down the rebuildables route it's easy enough and more rewarding [emoji6]

imho you're wasting your time if this is pertaining to stock coil tanks, replace when needed or move to rebuildables.

I tried cleaning coils in boiling water before. It did work but they are not so good after. With a zlide coil I could clean it after 2 weeks and get another week maybe out of the coil but reduced flavour.

best way to save money on coils is rebuildable tanks and drippers.

I have cleaned mainly kanger subtank coils by soaking/rinsing in an ultrasound cleaner in deionised water and some isopropanol.
then leaving them to air dry for a few days.

the results were mixed, many coils suffered from wick shrinkage but not consistently, those that diod suffer from this failed to damn the juice flow out the air in ways so total fail.

Those that did not shrink were ok for a short while but seemed to deteriorate/exhaust very rapidly.

My conclusion was its worth it to clean orrible juice from a coil but its hassle and has mixed results.

Use juice with less sweetener in it and coils should last longer. Have never bothered to clean stock coils and prefer an RTA anyway.

Hi All,

Cheers,

Jon.
It's a lot of effort, for little reward.

Thanks all :)

Got looking into it after frying coils in 2 days in an Aspire 2S, switched to a Vapresso PM80 SE and now running 11x4ml pods with 0.3 ohm GTX mesh coils and have only done 2 coils in 2 weeks so less of an issue now but still wondered :)

Actually have 2 x PM80 SE's now and in 2 weeks and a day they have 8500 puffs between them..... I shall drink the vodka bought for the task ;)

Cheers,

Jon.

I found my own way to clean them:
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...ossed-compatibility-more.194157/#post-2197803

Depending on how much abuse they suffered, results are mixed; but overall I can re-use up to 3 times each coil without any problem.

IMHO, cleaning and recovery procedures are totally worthy. Some of them, works good as new.
Same here. Doesnt work with all coils but does with a lot.
I rinse under a tap, soak in Vodka overnight, rinse under tap then rinse with distilled water then leave to dry naturally. It does remove the majority of the gunk and I do get another week or so out of the coils.
Trick is to not let the coil get so gunked up in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom