What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Coil building noob

NPS

I'm off on my hols soon but while i am away I will order an Augvape Merlin nano.

ssssssso.............

What wire, cotton and anything else should I get to go with it.....I am unsure of the wire gauge I need....(and lots of other things)

I usually vape my Tigon at 23 watts with the 0.4 ohm ish....coil but prefer the 1.2ohm and use this at about 11.5W.

I like really thick liquids like Cuttwoods and Wick Liquor stuff but ( as stated in another thread) I don't inhale as I am a cigar and pipe smoker....so I just roll it around in my mouth.. Flavour is my bag ....I don't even add Nic most of the time.....

If I can order everything from one place that would be great.......I have most tools I will need except ceramic pliers, so I may need a set of those...( not sure why though...lol)

Personally...

I'd use 28 guage kanthal, 5 ish wraps on a 2.5 and aim somewhere around 1ohm or so.

You only need ceramic tipped tweezers if you want to squeeze contact coils while pulsing them - I invariably build spaced so mine don't really ever get used...

I use cotton gods cotton - because that's what the shop had when I bought it.

Other people like different wires (different guage or complex like claptons) and different cotton - I just have what I have and it works for me.

Yeah, 28g kanthal would be ideal for a 1.2 ohm build

Personally...

I'd use 28 guage kanthal, 5 ish wraps on a 2.5 and aim somewhere around 1ohm or so.

You only need ceramic tipped tweezers if you want to squeeze contact coils while pulsing them - I invariably build spaced so mine don't really ever get used...

I use cotton gods cotton - because that's what the shop had when I bought it.

Other people like different wires (different guage or complex like claptons) and different cotton - I just have what I have and it works for me.
Thanks..much appreciated... I will go with this as a first go..... Always think there's not much point in asking for advice if you don't take it.

Yeah, 28g kanthal would be ideal for a 1.2 ohm build
Thanks.... As above.... I will try this.
Great forum this chaps.... Only posted a few times.... But great help... Once again... Thanks.... You must see these sort of posts regularly... Much appreciated

Thanks.... As above.... I will try this.
Great forum this chaps.... Only posted a few times.... But great help... Once again... Thanks.... You must see these sort of posts regularly... Much appreciated

No probs. Ask as many questions as you like.

Thanks..much appreciated... I will go with this as a first go..... Always think there's not much point in asking for advice if you don't take it.

No worries.

It's a pretty safe starting point imo, and one that you may never have to leave. That's where I started and have come all the way back around to, because it's quick, easy and perfectly functional.

Add or subtract a wrap, bigger or smaller core - quite a lot to play with from that base. For dtl I had pretty good results by twisting the 28 (2,3 or 4 strands twisted together).

And if you want to go further from that, wire is cheap - you can grab a roll of most types for about the same cash as a single stock coil...

28g kanthal as others have recommended, combined with some muji cotton. Bought direct from muji in europe, I spent something like £10 for enough cotton to last me two years or more, literally.

I've tried the fancy cottons, don't feel enough of a difference in flavour or wicking to warrant the price difference, personally. So I'd recommend muji as a starting point, cheap so you can make mistakes and not care about wasted cotton.

When I go on holiday I take my old trusty setups as I don't need the hassle of leaks or dry hits when far from home.

Back
Top Bottom