What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Coil build help

oOLucasOo

Postman
Right well here's the thing, basically I'm going to building coils and I'm aiming for a resistance of 0.15. Building it with 24awg a1 kanthal and I'm making it dual. So for the 0.15 overall resistance I was going to make each coil 0.3 ohms. That sound safe to you guys? Battery has a 35 Amp continuous discharge rate and gives out 3.7V. A lot of forums/websites I've checked are saying going below 0.2 is dangerous and is pushing the limits over the amp ratings of any battery available out there, but the ohm calculator I use (Steam Engine) is saying it's fine and is leaving me with more than enough amperage. I'll be running it off of a smoke H priv 220w with a dead rabbit RDA. What do you guys think is it safe?

Right well here's the thing, basically I'm going to building coils and I'm aiming for a resistance of 0.15. Building it with 24awg a1 kanthal and I'm making it dual. So for the 0.15 overall resistance I was going to make each coil 0.3 ohms. That sound safe to you guys? Battery has a 35 Amp continuous discharge rate and gives out 3.7V. A lot of forums/websites I've checked are saying going below 0.2 is dangerous and is pushing the limits over the amp ratings of any battery available out there, but the ohm calculator I use (Steam Engine) is saying it's fine and is leaving me with more than enough amperage. I'll be running it off of a smoke H priv 220w with a dead rabbit RDA. What do you guys think is it safe?

Okay so I just quickly checked the data sheet for my batteries, they are ampking 18650's. I was sure the CDR was 35A but it actually says it's 20A-30A. What does it mean by "20A-30A"? Is it 20 or 30, or does it mean it could be anywhere in between?

You're using a regulated mod, so you should be fine ( the calculations are different for a regulated mod).
What batteries have you got? I don't know of any with 35 amp discharge.
If you're not sure of the batteries, check out Fogstar, only sells genuine cells with proper ratings.

Okay so I just quickly checked the data sheet for my batteries, they are ampking 18650's. I was sure the CDR was 35A but it actually says it's 20A-30A. What does it mean by "20A-30A"? Is it 20 or 30, or does it mean it could be anywhere in between?
Right, I would be wary of those, see my other post, head on over there

What is the difference in calculations with regulated mods? Yeah the rating doesn't look very straight forward, I got them from my local vape shop (Vaporized). Yeah I have seen those, I might just take your word on them and get a pair. Thanks man

You're using a regulated mod, so you should be fine ( the calculations are different for a regulated mod).
What batteries have you got? I don't know of any with 35 amp discharge.
If you're not sure of the batteries, check out Fogstar, only sells genuine cells with proper ratings.
^^^^^This^^^^^
Your mod has an inbuilt regulator so it doesnt matter.
If your build is problematic it will detect the issue and display the issue instead of firing.

Right, firstly, your 24 gauge Kanthal will only have 3 or 4 wraps to get you that low (0.3 ohms per coil, 3mm inner diameter).

The good news is that you don't need a lot of wattage for that build - start at 30 watts, and work up, but I doubt you'll go too much above 50 watts.

To work out what amp batteries you need on a regulated mod, you take the wattage (per battery) you want to run at and divide it by the cut-off voltage (per battery) of your mod, then divide it by the regulator efficiency (which is usually 85 - 95 %, so we go conservative and use 85% or 0.85)

If you were running at 60 watts, that's 30 watts per battery. The cut-off voltage is usually around 3.1 volts or so.

30/3.1/0.85 = 11.3 amps per battery.

When a battery claims two numbers for Amps the lower one is the Continuous and the higher is the Pulse.
Ignore the Pulse rating, it's usually arbitrary, and there's no standard for what constitutes a "pulse". IMNVHO several seconds is not a pulse.

Right, firstly, your 24 gauge Kanthal will only have 3 or 4 wraps to get you that low (0.3 ohms per coil, 3mm inner diameter).

The good news is that you don't need a lot of wattage for that build - start at 30 watts, and work up, but I doubt you'll go too much above 50 watts.

To work out what amp batteries you need on a regulated mod, you take the wattage (per battery) you want to run at and divide it by the cut-off voltage (per battery) of your mod, then divide it by the regulator efficiency (which is usually 85 - 95 %, so we go conservative and use 85% or 0.85)

If you were running at 60 watts, that's 30 watts per battery. The cut-off voltage is usually around 3.1 volts or so.

30/3.1/0.85 = 11.3 amps per battery.

Aww okay, I've just been running off of standard ohm's law. After what you've said I've had a look and can see that I have to use that calculation you've provided. What I don't get through is once I find out the amps I'll need for each battery to run the mod, when would the different resistances with a coil start affecting the equation, because resistance hasn't been mentioned. I don't know if I'm making sense but I'm totally new to this haha

When a battery claims two numbers for Amps the lower one is the Continuous and the higher is the Pulse.
Ignore the Pulse rating, it's usually arbitrary, and there's no standard for what constitutes a "pulse". IMNVHO several seconds is not a pulse.

See I thought that after I had a scout online but wasn't sure which would be which. Thank you for clearing that up brother :)

Back
Top Bottom