What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Charging off USB... why's that bad again?

schlinky

Achiever
Just curious, I've been charging my C1D2 exclusively from the usb port since I got it.

I know there were some scare stories back in the cloupor days but realistically, how is the current derived from the USB port different to charging the battery using a dedicated charger?

I haven't used my 'proper' charger for a long time.

Is there a technical reason not to use the USB port?

I think its more to do with the supplied usb cable.

I'm using the charging cable from my logitech mouse (also transmits data). I can see how the cheapy supplied usb lead that comes with most mods could be a problem. Is there anything else? I mean it's not detrimental to the battery or anything is it?

It totally depends on how good the charging circuit is in the mod. Is it as safe, reliable and well designed as a good quality external charger? Does it stop charging at the correct voltage, does it charge at the best amperage for the battery? Does it have adequate cooling and safety cut off?

who knows?

It totally depends on how good the charging circuit is in the mod. Is it as safe, reliable and well designed as a good quality external charger? Does it stop charging at the correct voltage, does it charge at the best amperage for the battery? Does it have adequate cooling and safety cut off?

who knows?

I hear you. It's a DNA 75w so it's probably a decent chip to charge off. Whether it's better than a dedicated charger chip I don't know. Seems alright ;)

I hear you. It's a DNA 75w so it's probably a decent chip to charge off. Whether it's better than a dedicated charger chip I don't know. Seems alright ;)

Ah, ok... probably be fine then, if it was a $20 mod I might be a little more concerned, My old Kangertech didn't seem to ever charge properly through the port and I didn't trust it at all.... but that's a different thing all together.

I think the concerns derive from twin 18650s, and the lack of a balanced charging circuits on mods. I don't think there'd be an issue with single cell mods, or DNA mods, I'm happy to trust the DNA charge circuit with LiPos, and I haven't had any issues at all with any of my dna200/LiPo mods. :) (I've had 6)

I think the concerns derive from twin 18650s, and the lack of a balanced charging circuits on mods. I don't think there'd be an issue with single cell mods, or DNA mods, I'm happy to trust the DNA charge circuit with LiPos, and I haven't had any issues at all with any of my dna200/LiPo mods. :) (I've had 6)
Thanks, as it's a single cell DNA I hope it'll be ok. Thanks for the reassurance.

Yep, on a single battery mod, you could probably trust it.
Still check though that it not's not getting too hot anywhere - charging inside a metal tube not the best heat-wise.
USB ports can also fail and get very hot so just be sensible, as the Illuminati would say ;)

My issue and slight concern is damaging the USB female port.
On a DNA mod (or anything with upgradable software) why risk breaking the port when you can easily & quickly remove the battery.

As said a single battery mod with good board should be Ok but I only do in an 'emergency' to protect the life of the female port.

Back
Top Bottom