What's new

Charge!!

Muddyfunster

Postman
HI again all POTVers, i trust everyone enjoying the vape as much as i am.
Here's a question i know you can help answer.
I have had a quick google about and also a brief search of the forum here, looking for advice concerning ego type batteries, and am yet to find it.
I wish to know please:
1, how long do you think a fully charged battery holds that charge BEFORE being used, and;
2. is it not advised to recharge them before they are empty?
I ask because i have read conflicting advice:banghead:. Many say the batts are lithium ion, and don't have a 'memory', and therefore you can charge when you like, and yet others say this will only reduce the life because there are only approx 300 charges before battery performance is impaired. And i like to keep spare batts fully charged for use, and i rotate use, but still wish to know how long they will stay charged unused.
As always POTVers, many thanks in advance for any help.

Weird one this, because their really is no defined answer, and had to answer this for someone else the other day in real life.

Some people believe without use Li-Ion batteries will discharge at a rate of approx 5% per month, where NiMH is approx 20%.

As for lifespan of batteries, 300 charges before being impaired, I tend to feel at the price, I would always partial charge, just to ensure that they are charged when needed. If you get a days vape out of one, then I would charge after using for the day, and not necessarily when it falls falt a few hours into day 2.

If you have a Li-Ion drill at home, you will find that the battery life is less than that of a NiMH battery if treated with care, as I already have 2 batteries, that are dead and do not hold their charge, but this is because I constantly have them on charge.

As for my lap-top, that has Li-Ion, and I allow it to fully discharge, before I recharge, so I dont always adapt the same policy for the batteries health, but adopt the policy I fell is right for my personal circumstances, if that makes sense, whilst being mindful of the cost of above mentioned batteries.

Also a point to note, 300 charge cycles is just a guide, you could have an amazing battery or a sub standard one. Sorry, I have rambled on a bit, but I hope you understand. :)

Li-ion batteries dont want to be discharged completely EVER. That is why protected batteries have a over-discharge cut out. That is why the our PVs that come with protection have an over-discharge cut out. eg the Vamo stops working at 3.2V. The Evolv kick stops working at 3.5V (I think).

Over time batteries will hold less & less charge, yes you could get a good 1 or a bad 1, its just a guide. But its all swings & roundabouts.
A 130mAh battery (cigalike) will recharge 300 times, a 10,000 mAh battery (big ass external battery for festivals & playing Ingress on my phone) will recharge 300 times.

The battery memory was for a different chemistry battery (old mobile phones) where you had to fully charge them & fully discharge them the 1st few times, if you only ever did 50% charge then after a few times of doing this you're never going to get them up to a 100% anyway.

As far as I know Ego batteries are Li-ion, doing a 10% charge as oppose to a 100% charge isnt going to get a "memory effect". You can happily only charge it up the first 50 times to only 10%, then on 51 leave it in long enough & you'll get to 100% (allowing of course for wear & tear ie the 300 cycle limit)

Thank you for the replies. I will rest easy, and just make sure they are full. And as stated, i suppose the batteries are relatively cheap.

I had a lil 280mah ciggy like battery hold its charge from 2010 until mid 2012 :)

Back
Top Bottom