What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Bypass mode mod advice?

Enoch

Achiever
Right I have a mod that uses single batteries and runs in bypass mode only. The only batteries i have ever bought for regulated mods have been samsung 25r 18650. So, needing a bit of education here.

I'm guessing I'll be running the mod at around 80w on a single battery, can I use my Samsung's or will I need to buy a different battery?

Also in terms of safety what do I need to know about using a battery in this way?

I am a complete novice so don't feel like you are talking down to me at all, please educate me!

Bypass mode will give you a wattage dependant if coil ohm and battery you need to use ohms law to determine what ohm coil to use for you battery. What coil are you using and what wattage do you wish to vape at

Can you tell us the name of the mod, so I can look it up and see what built in protections (if any) it has?

Can you tell us the name of the mod, so I can look it up and see what built in protections (if any) it has?
I can't say what the mod is right now Haha not been announced yet so there will be no information out on it.

The official instructions it sent me suggested a 18650 with 35 amp draw.

So what and where are they?

Good luck finding that. 30A is the highest I've seen in 18650 (not what Efest print on their wraps).

To answer your question about safety, you do not want to exceed the constant discharge rate (in amps) of your battery, and your build will dictate the amp draw on your battery.

On a mechanical mod, you calculate this based on a fully charged battery (4.2 volts), using the formula:

Volts/ohms = amps

A Samsung 25r is good for a constant discharge rate of 20 amps, which means the minimum resistance of your coil is 0.21 ohms.

4.2/0.21 = 20

At 0.21 ohms, with a fully charged battery, taking into account battery voltage sag (assuming there is no voltage boost in the mod, which assumes it is a "real" bypass mode, rather than a simulated bypass mode), you will be getting around 65 watts at an output of 3.7 volts.

A Sony VTC5a has a constant discharge rate of 25 amps, which means your minimum resistance is 0.17 ohms.

4.2/0.17 = 24.71

At 0.17 ohms on a full charge, you will be getting around 80 watts at an output of 3.7 volts.

It should be noted here that even when a battery is fully charged to 4.2 volts, it doesn't output 4.2 volts, due to battery voltage sag.

The VTC5a is probably good for what you want.

If you want to go even lower on your builds, you will need a higher amp rated battery, but they are only 1500 - 2000 mAh so you won't get much battery life with such a low resistance, and you will be going way above 80 watts. If you want to try that, an LG HB6 (32 amp), LG HB2 (30 amp) or the Vapcell 2000 mAh (32 amp) would be the way to go, battery wise, but you don't need to go that low really.

The official instructions it sent me suggested a 18650 with 35 amp draw.

So what and where are they?
Don't think there is such a thing, the LG hb6 is 32 amp, so is the Vapcell 2000 mah.
What build are you planning to use?

Back
Top Bottom