What's new

Authentic .V. Clones, and are authentic's worth it?

I have a genuine mutatation x v4 and I honestly prefer it to all my clones. Don't know if its placebo playing with my head or not!

I've got a few cheapo ten pound clones of the KFL plus v2. I've also got a couple of originals as well and there is no difference at all for me. In fact I have to keep them on separate shelves as I can't tell the difference and would hate to get em mixed up!

I have mixed mine up and haven't got a clue which bits are which.

I always thought the purpose of vaping was to buy loads of shiny stuff, then come on here and complain about how much you've spent on shiny stuff...:18:

Just think about how many near identical tanks are out there that vape completely differently.

Then think about how much planning, design and experimentation went into perfecting something like the Kayfun 4 and you'll realise that a minute difference in a copy can make a huge difference to the performance.

But, as I have no idea how an authentic performs, I am more than happy with my clone.

Having said that, the Ehpro KFL V2 outperforms my original.

I always thought the purpose of vaping was to buy loads of shiny stuff, then come on here and complain about how much you've spent on shiny stuff...:18:

I buy and then cry at my bank balance lol, so much shiny stuff the past 6 weeks, I need to go to rehab lol.

In regards to the OP I have a mix of both, in some cases the authentic is worth it (KFV4 for example, all my mates clones are now broken due to jammed bases) but I have a authentic and clone tobecco Royal hunter and no difference between them apart from the screws in the posts. When it comes to mods then always authentic as I don't want to risk on shoddy wiring etc and blow my fingers off.

I personally think the question should really be "Is it worth it to you?" Much like some people love buying expensive watches and others prefer bargain basement ones everyone is very different and will only spend what they are comfortable with.

For the record I have clones, inexpensive authentic products as well as some very expensive high-end gear. In my opinion people should use what they like and what they can justify to themselves in terms of cost because whatever you use is keeping you off the fags so its technically all worth it!

We have seen a shift in the last few months with many of the notable clone companies producing their own authentic gear at very affordable prices. I am thinking of products like the Billow V2, the Freakshow Mini and the Sapor. I think its a good thing they have done this because there will always be a market for inexpensive gear and it means they aren't ripping off small companies and stealing their designs when they are fully capable of contributing their own.

As to whether high-end gear is worth it you have to remember the price often reflects small or one man manufacturers that often have small production runs with expensive costs so while the prices may often look like a complete "rip off" they aren't really making as huge a profit as you might think.

Having said that I own a Rose V2 Clone and an authentic Rose V2-S, the vape is comparably very similar. The difference is really one of build quality. The clone has really shite screws and the threads are nothing like the ones on the authentic which fits together beautifully which is what you would expect for a tank that costs over £100. The airflow control on the clone is prone to sticking a lot and locking in place whereas the original is perfect. The ceramic cup on my clone is without the issues previously described but it is a little loose compared to the authentic.

Do I regret buying the authentic? Hell no its a bloody great product but would I have spent that amount of money if I hadn't tried the clone? Possibly but not definitely because I wouldn't want to buy something that expensive blind without a certain amount of research. The real problem exists that unless you can try some of this very expensive stuff out you have no idea of whether it will be worth the price tag so a clone can be useful at times.

The only problem is when the clone contains a flaw that isn't present in the original and you end up judging the expensive product without ever trying it for yourself.

Anyway at the end of the day you can all buy what you want if it makes you happy.:)

For me, getting a clone is more of a "i want to try out this whole style of vaping" thing as opposed to "i want to match the performance of X but for less money".

I had a Kayfun clone, I just didn't get on with it that well. That's fine, it was a clone. Now what would have happened if I spent £100+ on it and was unable to sell it? Same with RDAs - I tried one, then I got 2 more and it just so happened to be that I found a combo that works so great for me...I got my own killer RDA now and I feel that I got to a point where I just don't need ANY RDAs (authentic or not). The whole setup cost me less than £30.

But that only applies to tanks and atties. I would feel very uncomfortable with getting a mod clone, just like I would be uncomfortable with getting a Rolex clone simply because Rolex isn't just about the brand - it IS of better quality & performance than a cheap Rolex knock-off.

And while understand that talented crafters need to make money for their hard work and innovation...Chinese people do to, and if imitating something is what helps them - then fine. I am not happy with a clone being marketed as "X-style" whilst it is a complete ripoff, but this does happen. This is all about competition to me.

There is a reason why people really buy iphones, and this is not because of the hardware - it is to do with iOS mainly (i say "mainly" because there is also the marketing aspect of Apple). No one replicated iOS well enough. It is hard to copy it when you don't know the source code, Apple made sure of it. With tanks, this is not the case. It just happens and it would be great if all mod makers were rewarded, but ultimately the world is not fair.
so you need to do something so innovative that no one else can simply copy it.

The clone v authentic debate has been raging forever and there's nothing new under the sun, nothing to add.

Like @VapeMaster , I think 2015 has been the year of the reasonably priced authentic - a huge array of products that really perform at near budget pricing. Not only has this put pressure on the high-end, high-priced gear it has challenged the clone market too. The rise of cloners now producing their own, authentic designs has been great to see.

Value for money? It's like religion, completely up to the individual and mostly irrational.

I have a fair mix of clone and original, the newer cheaper original sub ohm tanks have been good (aspire, kanger etc) however, my favourites are all clones (gennies mainly) mtl tanks. I've brought a fair amount of these over the last year and I think I have found my favourite tanks for certain flavours. Now i know what I like, I'll start saving in order to replace those with originals.

Like most of us I have both Originals and Clones and I do believe my Originals are finished better.

I only use the Originals these days all my clones have "frustrating" issues, some minor and I could use them but choose not to because of this.

Good example is the K4 the clone, this was great @ first but later became a pain turning the juice flow off and on, the Original although bloody expensive is a joy to use (even though it is more "faf" than the KFL)

Since I have stopped buying the clones I "seem" to be saving money, I do buy less though; Fasttech must be missing me

Back
Top Bottom