What's new

A guide on calculating amp load using a regulated mod.

For example, here is steam engine, adjusted to a series setup with a 6.2V cutoff at 50W with 90% efficiency-
pqJCI0S.png

For the same result of 8.96A, the calculation is 50/6.2/0.90= 8.96A.

does it take into account for the power stored on board or is the calculations made using the same rules as a mech ?
It is the calculations for a regulated mod- not a mech. Even Mooch explains it should be calculated this way. Let take a higher power example- pushing 150W.

That would be 150/6.2/0.9= 26.88A

Same from steam engine-
thmUHOX.png

does it take into account for the power stored on board or is the calculations made using the same rules as a mech ?
It is the calculations for a regulated mod- not a mech. Even Mooch explains it should be calculated this way. Let take a higher power example- pushing 150W.

That would be 150/6.2/0.9= 26.88A

Same from steam engine-
thmUHOX.png
it is calculated same as a mech only with given headroom due to being regulated thus nullifying any data in its output
it's a good idea but doesn't work and not thought out properly mate

to have a proper output u would have to know what inductors and capacitors are in place in a mod and their draw and not every mod will use the same parts
see ?

to have a proper output u would have to know what inductors and capacitors are in place in a mod and their draw and not every mod will use the same parts
see ?

Thats where the efficiency comes into play. Something like the DNA200 with a 97% efficiency will give a lower amp load on the cells than a cheaper mod with say 85% efficiency.

90% is often used as a number when you are not sure, as not many mods are less than 90% efficient.

It also is very different to calculating for a mech- resistance doesn't come into play, 0.1 or 1 Ohm at 50W draws the same from the batteries at the same power level in watts.

Also, where amp load is highest is reversed- with a mech, 4.2V would be where amp load is highest, and as the battery drains, so does the amp load. Regulated, amp load is LOWEST when the voltage of the batteries is at its maximum, and increases as the battery voltage decreases so it can continue to output your given power setting.

calculations still = null

as is this thread
safety madness

it is what it is bud
These people that say this have a duty of care as such
But its all, to use a technical term shite

the use of the invertors and caps are to add to the batterys safe output not using their storage solo thus why there hasn't been one case of batterys blowing in a regulated apart from when charged by usb with less than adequate chargers

Plus that regs are capped at around 10 sec bursts plenty of storage onboard to add to the batterys safe output plus the processor carefully watching the batteries for any issues

Last edited:
it is what it is bud
These people that say this have a duty of care as such
But its all, to use a technical term shite

the use of the invertors and caps are to add to the batterys safe out tput not using their storage solo thus why there hasn't been one case of batterys blowing in a regulated apart from when charged by usb with less than adequate chargers

Plus that regs are capped at around 10 sec bursts plenty of storage onboard to add to the batterys safe output plus the processor carefully watching the batteries for any issues
There have been cases of regulated mods doing this though, it happened to a member here, can't remember the mods name, but it took 3 in a row, not like a RX but flat kind of way, and also I had a close call with a DNA75, which auto fired for God knows how long in my pocket- much longer than 10 seconds. evolv replaced the board for me, as they have with a few of my DNA200's.

You can push regulated mods batteries past what is 'safe'- but there are many shades of 'safe', but sticking within CDR is one way to increase this.

I don't really think calling what even mooch says is 'shite', but you can only lead a horse to water as the saying goes. @mooch may be able to explain to you the formula for a regulated mod, he was a big influence In my learning so also this guide.

Not an attack on you, but denying how a regulated mod draws power from its batteries is strange when it is well known.

How exactly do you think they work for say a 3 second pull? Just a question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom