What's new

A guide on calculating amp load using a regulated mod.

Yeah I thought so. Sorry for the questions. Just trying to get a better understanding. A lot of guides online do like to go into a lot of the technicalities and when you're just starting to look into this, it can be a bit mind-boggling at first.

Thanks.

Lg hg2s are ok but IMO they aren't the greatest quality, any of the Sony VTC series are the absolute best I think for both mechs and regulated. The hg2s are horrible for tube mechs. I use sony vtc3s in mechs and vtc5a or vtc6 for regulated.

Lg hg2s are ok but IMO they aren't the greatest quality, any of the Sony VTC series are the absolute best I think for both mechs and regulated. The hg2s are horrible for tube mechs. I use sony vtc3s in mechs and vtc5a or vtc6 for regulated.
I don't mean to change this into a mech thread, but do you really find the VTC3 to perform better than the VTC5A in a tube mech? The VTC5A has a higher voltage under load, so should hit harder than the VTC3 in a tube even pushed hard.

I don't mean to change this into a mech thread, but do you really find the VTC3 to perform better than the VTC5A in a tube mech? The VTC5A has a higher voltage under load, so should hit harder than the VTC3 in a tube even pushed hard.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you my friend. Essentially I meant the vtc3 is the safest really when it comes to amp load, I suppose that's what I meant by the best. Now performance I believe yes the vtc5a could be better in that aspect as to it hits harder, but with the high amp load of the vtc3 you can literally build down to a .07 and get a hit just as hard possibly

Sorry it took so long to get back to you my friend. Essentially I meant the vtc3 is the safest really when it comes to amp load, I suppose that's what I meant by the best. Now performance I believe yes the vtc5a could be better in that aspect as to it hits harder, but with the high amp load of the vtc3 you can literally build down to a .07 and get a hit just as hard possibly
No worries, we all have lives off the forums lol.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, as if you are using a mech and have looked into builds as low as 0.07, which will have a big amount of sag-actually around 2.8V for the VTC3, while around 3.10V for the VTC5A fresh off the charger at 60A/0.07 Ohms. Voltage under load, or 'sag', is what makes your mod hit hard(there are other things, but this is a big factor).

Do you feel the VTC3 is safer as it runs cooler when pushed hard? When really pushing things in a mech, the LG HB series is hard to beat. It does reach a higher temperature than the VTC3 at 40A, 86C for the Sony vs 96 for the LG, but this is a constant current test, and you get somewhere around an extra 300MAH even though they are all 1500MAH cells.

But, the LG's can put out a higher voltage under huge loads amp wise.

Again, in no way trying to teach you things you probably already know, just cool to chat about these things :)

(Please, any new vapers reading this, don't push things this hard just because it can be done. Some of us take a risk in what we do. so stay safe).

No worries, we all have lives off the forums lol.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, as if you are using a mech and have looked into builds as low as 0.07, which will have a big amount of sag-actually around 2.8V for the VTC3, while around 3.10V for the VTC5A fresh off the charger at 60A/0.07 Ohms. Voltage under load, or 'sag', is what makes your mod hit hard(there are other things, but this is a big factor).

Do you feel the VTC3 is safer as it runs cooler when pushed hard? When really pushing things in a mech, the LG HB series is hard to beat. It does reach a higher temperature than the VTC3 at 40A, 86C for the Sony vs 96 for the LG, but this is a constant current test, and you get somewhere around an extra 300MAH even though they are all 1500MAH cells.

But, the LG's can put out a higher voltage under huge loads amp wise.

Again, in no way trying to teach you things you probably already know, just cool to chat about these things :)

(Please, any new vapers reading this, don't push things this hard just because it can be done. Some of us take a risk in what we do. so stay safe).

Yes I agree 100% my friend! The HB6 and VTC 3 are probably the two best in class but you could be right about the HB6 being the best altogether, however I've never personally tried that battery and am basing my statements on personal experience and knowledge. Yes there is tremendous sag and work on the battery but personally I havent had a more satisfying vape in a mech than when I build a triple or quad parallel .08-.1 ohm. Anything higher and it just doesn't cut it for yours truly, for 3-4 wires the ramp up is quite instant and it gives great vapzorz!

Using @conanthewarrior 's formula in the opening post, it would seem that although I have a mod which can fire at 350W, even with 4x30A CDR cells it would have to cut off at about 3.5V to stay within the Amp rating. (I'm calculating on a pessimistic 85% efficiency because I don't know what the actual efficiency of the mod is).

Now, I don't actually want to vape at 350W (any more), but if I did, would I have to keep my eye on the Volts on the mod's display - it reports Volts only during firing -, because I know it will go much lower than 3.5 and I don't think there's any way to change its preset cutoff.

Sorry, another question @conanthewarrior ...
2x30Qs (19A CDR claimed) in my SkyStar and I want to vape at 50W, so using your formula with values of 3.1V cutoff and .85 efficiency, I got the answer 9.4A, which should be a doddle for the cells, but the mod's display reads over 19A, which exceeds the CDR. Is my mod reporting the Amps draw on the cells or the output of the board? Pardon my ignorance but if it's the latter I'm not really sure what the point of that is. /shrugs

Is my mod reporting the Amps draw on the cells or the output of the board?

it's the latter probably. ... but even if it were the former then it would be a shared load between the 2 cells so ..... still under 10A

Back
Top Bottom