What's new

18650 battery problem

Thanks for the welcome and the comments everyone.

For clarity; it is a single batt mod. I typically get through two batts a day while running at 65w. The issue isn’t that the cells go from 100% to 0% quicker than before, actually they go from 100% to say 30% as normal. At this point however, the mod returns a “Low battery” warning and refuses to fire at that level of charge, rather than at 0%, which is how they worked when new. Hope that makes sense.

Sounds like this type of vaping is beyond my 25Rs and possibly at the limit of what a single batt mod should be operating at. So I need some new 18650’s (I’ll get the Sony’s) but I also need to consider a double batt mod to prevent these problems from occurring in future. With that in mind; is this the right part of the forum to start a “what mod” thread or should I head off somewhere else?

Oh and thanks again for the help!

yeah it's what @speedfreek67 said up there, percentages mean nothing really, unless it shows the actual voltage of the cell then you are just guessing. ... and if it's down to about about 3.5v then at 65w you are really pushing a 20A cell, I expect it's stopping you from firing because of that.

what voltage do the cells show when you put them in to charge when they stop working?

Thanks for the welcome and the comments everyone.

For clarity; it is a single batt mod. I typically get through two batts a day while running at 65w. The issue isn’t that the cells go from 100% to 0% quicker than before, actually they go from 100% to say 30% as normal. At this point however, the mod returns a “Low battery” warning and refuses to fire at that level of charge, rather than at 0%, which is how they worked when new. Hope that makes sense.

Sounds like this type of vaping is beyond my 25Rs and possibly at the limit of what a single batt mod should be operating at. So I need some new 18650’s (I’ll get the Sony’s) but I also need to consider a double batt mod to prevent these problems from occurring in future. With that in mind; is this the right part of the forum to start a “what mod” thread or should I head off somewhere else?

Oh and thanks again for the help!
I think someone already mentioned fogstar for battery supplies. It's where I got my batteries from.

They also have a useful calculator on the website. You put in your wattage and amount of batteries etc and it will tell you which of their batteries suit your mod.

Thanks everyone. I’ve just put one in the charger and it said 3.45v. Is that good or bad? I should say that that particular battery actually ran down to under 10% before ceasing to fire so it worked ok.

Bit of a random one, but is the inside of the mod clean? No muck or juice found it's way into the battery compartment? Welcome to the forum btw :)

Thanks everyone. I’ve just put one in the charger and it said 3.45v. Is that good or bad? I should say that that particular battery actually ran down to under 10% before ceasing to fire so it worked ok.
That sounds fine to me.

Here is a very basic guide to how this all works.

When you fire your mod, you are drawing power from the battery. The higher the wattage you vape at, the more strain you put on the battery. As the battery runs down from fully charged, it has to work harder and harder to provide the wattage you are asking. The strain on the battery is at its highest when the battery charge is at its lowest. If you have strained the battery too much, it ceases to be able to provide that wattage at a low charge any more, hence the "weak battery" message. The more overused the battery gets, the quicker it will run down to "weak battery" status.

The only solution is to either accept you will need to get new batteries quite often, buy better rated batteries so they last a bit longer, or get a dual battery mod so you halve the strain on your batteries, which will make them last a hell of a lot longer.

:)

Thanks speedfreek that makes perfect sense.

So I’m thinking of switching to a 2 batt mod. Something like the Smok G-Priv 2 so I can use it with my TFV12 tank. Is that a good option? I’m looking for a combination that will give me big clouds and lots of flavour.

Or any other options? I’m not particularly tied to Smok just had good experience with my vape from them so far.

Something like the Smok G-Priv 2 so I can use it with my TFV12 tank.

The mod and tank don't have to be the same make to play together - it's pretty much industry standard to use a 510 threaded connection on them so "any" tank works on "any" mod.

I say "any" because sometimes the size of the tank makes it not fit onto certain mods (my Pico won't accept any larger than 22mm due to the battery cap) or they may overhang (not a problem in itself, just looks ugly by general consensus).

Back
Top Bottom