What's new

18650 battery problem

memzey

Postman
Hi everyone,

First post here so please be gentle!

I’ve been vaping since August when I gave up a 30 a day habit with the help of a Smok G-Priv baby (I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea but it works well for me). I’ve been using 0.15 ohm mesh coils at about 65 watts and get really good flavour and big clouds. Nice. I’m running the mod on three Samsung 25R batts which I rotate to ensure none of them get over used. I charge them on a Nitecore D2. All has been well up until fairly recently when I have been getting low battery messages on my mod when the batts themselves still have some considerable levels of charge. This would happen when they had say 20% at first but now I get that same message with one of them at 50%.

I’m completely baffled as to why this is if I’m honest. They should still be ok, they’re not incorrectly charged and they are genuine Samsungs. I wonder if others have experienced the same problem and found a way to resolve it or whether I’m doing something else wrong? Perhaps these aren’t the right types of cell for my kind of vaping? Dunno. Please help and thanks for having me onboard!

you say you're running it on 3 batteries, rotating them ? its only a 2 cell mod isnt it?
that might have something to do with it, as the cells arent being discharged evenly together all the time , therefore creating a difference big enough to throw up the error, try a new pair, sony vtc5a from fogstar and dont worry about a third battery

edit ignore then, @John R should of looked like you lol

Last edited:
Had to look it up, looks like a single 18650 unit. No idea why it's giving low battery messages unfortunately.

If its a single cell unit, then 65W is at the higher end of what an 18650 can give out - its pulling 22-24 amps from the battery as the charge gets low, which is a little more than the 25R can provide without shortening the life of the battery, which I think is what has happened.

You'll get longer life from a VTC5a, as said above, but if you are always vaping at 65 watts and want to prolong your battery life, a dual battery mod might be a good option for you.

yeah ignore my post , cant see a reason why apart from as said above 65 on a single cell is going to be pretty shocking battery life , vtc5a could potentially give you a little longer but not much, then theres the new mollicell which could help to but at those watts I'd say you'd be better off with a dual cell mod

I'm no expert but I can agree with what everyone else is saying based on my battery experiences. I vape at around 65W and use a dual battery mod (18650) and I might get a whole day with average vaping on a work day. On a day off I'll need my back up pair long before bed so I imagine you're really straining your single battery at the same 65W

It's been noticeable recently to me how even a small increase in wattage can massively affect batteries. I have been Squonking, almost exclusively, on a VTinbox.
This is a DNA 75w Mod. I was Vaping at 1.2-1.5 oHm mostly, and at around 10-15 watts. I recently lowered my resistances, to 1.0 oHm, and increased my wattage to 16-20 watts.
I have a decent Xtar Charger, a VC4, which tells me how many Mah my Batteries have taken. I cycle 6 Samsung 25r through my mods (I have a few VTinboxes).
Whilst Vaping at higher resistance, and lower wattage, my batteries were taking around 2200 mAh. They are still taking around the same mAh now.
I was going through 2-3 Batteries every 24 hour period.
At the higher wattage, and lower resistance, I am going through almost 4 batteries over the same amount of time.
I suspect Vaping at around 65w I'd get through more than 3 times my battery cycles in any given period.
As in: Running a single 18650 Mod, at close to full chat, all the time, will cane your batteries much,much, harder than running the same batteries, in the same Mod at lower power.
The number of charge/discharge cycles possible is affected the more often a battery is discharged quickly.

If I wanted to Vape at 65watts, consistently, I'd be thinking about a Dual, or even Triple Battery Mod.
Personally I try to stress my batteries as little as possible, as they are the things that need replacing and cost in terms of mineral resources as well as money is quite significant.

Or, possibly, the Mod is reading wrong. Do you have a decent battery charger to monitor your batteries @memzey ?

Thanks for the welcome and the comments everyone.

For clarity; it is a single batt mod. I typically get through two batts a day while running at 65w. The issue isn’t that the cells go from 100% to 0% quicker than before, actually they go from 100% to say 30% as normal. At this point however, the mod returns a “Low battery” warning and refuses to fire at that level of charge, rather than at 0%, which is how they worked when new. Hope that makes sense.

Sounds like this type of vaping is beyond my 25Rs and possibly at the limit of what a single batt mod should be operating at. So I need some new 18650’s (I’ll get the Sony’s) but I also need to consider a double batt mod to prevent these problems from occurring in future. With that in mind; is this the right part of the forum to start a “what mod” thread or should I head off somewhere else?

Oh and thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom