What's new

The BIRKEY pub Crosby LIVERPOOL

abstrusedali

Initiate
I want to vent my frustration towards this hostelry located in Crosby Merseyside- a complete shambles of a "pub" for the following reasons.
  • After asking the barman if vaping was ok about 4 weeks ago, I was given the go ahead to vape freely in this pub- I have vaped in here ever since- hooray I can vape I my local!
  • Tonight, the manager's daughter confronted me asking me not to vape. I asked why not. Apparently there had been complaints from customers about the smell of my vaping (El Toro Virginia Prime)
  • I had just bought a beer and asked in a reasonable way for my money back- I had bought my drink on the understanding that I could vape freely in the pub.
  • Manager tells me literally to "fuck off" and I'm barred from now on.
I want to pursue this further- at the very least I think I am entitled to my money back for my pint, but also because it seems that anybody who wants to can snort cocaine in their loos- as long as their customers don't smell it- its ok.

Unfortunately, there isnt anything you can do. Its their right to tell you not to vape on their property. The best you can do is possibly send them an educational email / letter and ask them to reconsider their stance on vaping.

On a plus side ;) when you google Birkey Pub in Crosby, this thread comes up like 5th in line ;)

Well that's good- I'm hoping I can warn vapers away from The Birkey so they go to the Crow's Nest just 100m down the road- a real vape friendly pub. I couldn't believe the way I was spoken to in The Birkey- completely unacceptable.

Well that's good- I'm hoping I can warn vapers away from The Birkey so they go to the Crow's Nest just 100m down the road- a real vape friendly pub. I couldn't believe the way I was spoken to in The Birkey- completely unacceptable.

Are they a chain pub? Might help to complain to their home offices?

The manager's daughter said that they were Greene King and therefore had a ban on vaping. I pointed out to her that I had been allowed to vape with the barman's consent very freely for some weeks previously and asked her why I was suddenly not allowed to vape. She told me that some customers had complained about the smell.

Update- a partial victory!

I wrote to the Greene King CEO and received this email-

Our current policy doesn’t allow the use of e-cigarettes in our pubs, in line with many other pubs and restaurants in the UK, as the use of e-cigarettes can cause confusion with some customers and health implications have yet to be proven. The team were correct to ask youto stop smoking and I apologise if you feel the situation wasn’t handled in thebest possible way.

You are of course welcome to pop into the Birkey to collect the cost of your pint you were previously refused on production of this email to the Duty Manager.

Kind regards

RICHARD LEWIS
Managing Director – Local Pubs
Greene King

My reply is as follows-

Thank you for your reply to my email and making me aware of your current policy regarding the use of e-cigarettes in your pubs.
I wish to point out that I had been using an ecigarette in the Birkey for several weeks before this incident. I had previously asked if it was acceptable to use my device (as I courteously do in every pub I visit) and was told this was no problem and so I had been unaware that this was not in fact in accordance with your company’s policy. Perhaps this policy should be communicated clearly to all of your staff?
I am perfectly happy to comply with Greene King policy and will therefore not be visiting the Birkey in future. I must point out however that the reasons you give for this policy seem to be based upon ignorance of the facts surrounding e-cigarettes and I would urge you to read this article published by ASH Action on Smoking and Health and I would draw your attention to this extract-

The fact that e-cigarettes look similar to conventional cigarettes has been said to risk
confusion as to their use in public places, such as on public transport. However, given
that the most distinctive feature of cigarette smoking is the smell of the smoke, which travels
rapidly, and that this is absent from e-cigarette use, it is not clear how any such confusion
would be sustained. Furthermore, the absence of risk from “secondhand” inhalation of vapour
from e-cigarettes has been described as an “often unconsidered advantage” of e-cigarettes.

Greene King are of course perfectly entitled to have whatever policy they decide, but it would surely be best if that policy was based upon scientific facts and commonsense?

Back
Top Bottom