Vape Club
What's new

Tutorial - Sealing Connection Pin SXK BB USB Version

Hey guys, I'm not from the UK unfortunately and I was wondering if you knew of an alternative to the Fernox LS-X? It's kind of pricey to have it shipped here from the UK. I tried Googling around for food grade silicone sealant but nothing specifically food grade comes up just general all-purpose clear silicone sealant.
I used contact adhesive on a few boxes - you know the stuff that dries quite rubbery. You're only trying to make a gasket, not glue the pin in - so something quite feeble

Vape Club
@domejunky will know better but I believe you can use a contact adhesive as long as it's not a permanent adhesive - as in something you can still remove should it require further maintenance and definitely NOT super glue, food grade shouldn't be an issue for the pin as long as it's cleaned off.

If pushed I would have used silicon bathroom sealant.

Just to be sure I would wait and hear @domejunky opinion before you proceed, he's the one that advised me in the first place.

AcmeFog
I used contact adhesive on a few boxes - you know the stuff that dries quite rubbery. You're only trying to make a gasket, not glue the pin in - so something quite feeble
I'll see what we got at work, the problem with a lot of silicone (at least the ones we use at work) is that it smells for a day or more. So I was worried about it venting fumes and contaminating the Borro. Thank you for the response.

You think this stuff would do the trick?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Sil...hen-and-Bath-Silicone-Sealant-08794/301531803

PunoIEn.jpg

Premier Ecigs
I think it would work physically - but I'd hesitate before putting it on my own box. If you could leave the box alone for a few days to cure maybe...
Ah damn too late lol. What's the concern you have cure time?

Vape Green
Ah damn too late lol. What's the concern you have cure time?
A lot of silicon sealants are "acid cure", they release acetic acid as they cure, you probably don't want to be breathing it in, the fumes can be a bit noxious... there's a bit of info here:
https://www.idealsealants.com/acetoxy-vs-neutral-cure-silicone-i31

That said, I'm a cheapskate so I just used the generic acid cure silicon I had on hand, then I left it for a couple of days before using it... It seems fine ;)

A lot of silicon sealants are "acid cure", they release acetic acid as they cure, you probably don't want to be breathing it in, the fumes can be a bit noxious... there's a bit of info here:
https://www.idealsealants.com/acetoxy-vs-neutral-cure-silicone-i31

That said, I'm a cheapskate so I just used the generic acid cure silicon I had on hand, then I left it for a couple of days before using it... It seems fine ;)

I see. I'll leave it be for a week or so, I have too many devices that are collecting dust lol. Thank you!

Smoore
Thanks for the guide @Vapaneezer Scrooge, just got done sealing mine up, didn't take long at all with the correct driver.

Used Fernox as you suggested, just hope I haven't applied too little. I presume it should compress as you pop the pin back in and increase the coverage and seal better.

Back up and vaping on it within 20 minutes of starting.

I did notice on mine, half way down the blue wire (for the pin), there was a sizeable nick in the wire sheath, exposing some of the bare wires. Anything to worry about? It's the SXK DNA60.

Back
Top Bottom