What's new

Quick question on power hitting the coil

Jaffacakes

Postman
Ok, I have got a Hybrid mod on it's way, it's my first mechanical, now I think I have done enough research on ohms law, watched ALL of mooches Minding your Mahs series, plus a whole host of other vids, blogs etc. Got a couple of Molicels that are good for 25a.

Now this is some assuming but I don't think it's too far off the mark, I have got a SS Pyra on it's way, and I want to try and get a similar vape to what I'm getting with my reg mod, yeh I know I could just stay with my reg but mechs are shinier and smaller lol.

So my question, is it a fair assumption that mech volt drop and batt lag accounts to around 0.015 ohms? Which when drawing a current of 25amps equates to 10 watts of lost power? Ok the 0.01 ohms for the mech were different SS mechs, but good for a base?

So say I vape at 75w on my reg, to get 75w going through my atty I would need to have a coil 0.015 lower than the desired ohms?

Is this the correct thought process, or am I really over thinking it Haha. I mean if I did lower the ohms it would mean that voltage drop and sag would increase and therefore there would be even less voltage going to the coil...

But if i built a 0.2 ohm coil, the actual resistance would be 0.215?

Or have I totally got my workings out wrong and the resistance would be lower so 0.185?

Maybe I should just stick to regulated mods :18::18:

TLDR; to fire 75w @4.2v on a mech, taking into consideration voltage drop and lag, what resistance coil would I need to build... if I were to say 0.015 ohms is the drop and lag resistance.

Personally, if you want that degree of precision, I don't think you'd get it from a mech. My preferred range starts off around 70-80w on my mech squonkers, dropping to around 50-60w by the time I change the battery. If you want a precise and constant vape then stick with regulated mate, or accept a varied vape on a mech. Not all mechs are equal.

Maybe the true mech heads can chime in?

Ok, I have got a Hybrid mod on it's way, it's my first mechanical, now I think I have done enough research on ohms law, watched ALL of mooches Minding your Mahs series, plus a whole host of other vids, blogs etc. Got a couple of Molicels that are good for 25a.

Now this is some assuming but I don't think it's too far off the mark, I have got a SS Pyra on it's way, and I want to try and get a similar vape to what I'm getting with my reg mod, yeh I know I could just stay with my reg but mechs are shinier and smaller lol.

So my question, is it a fair assumption that mech volt drop and batt lag accounts to around 0.015 ohms? Which when drawing a current of 25amps equates to 10 watts of lost power? Ok the 0.01 ohms for the mech were different SS mechs, but good for a base?

So say I vape at 75w on my reg, to get 75w going through my atty I would need to have a coil 0.015 lower than the desired ohms?

Is this the correct thought process, or am I really over thinking it Haha. I mean if I did lower the ohms it would mean that voltage drop and sag would increase and therefore there would be even less voltage going to the coil...

But if i built a 0.2 ohm coil, the actual resistance would be 0.215?

Or have I totally got my workings out wrong and the resistance would be lower so 0.185?

Maybe I should just stick to regulated mods :18::18:

TLDR; to fire 75w @4.2v on a mech, taking into consideration voltage drop and lag, what resistance coil would I need to build... if I were to say 0.015 ohms is the drop and lag resistance.
The difference between 0.2 and o.215 would be imperceptible. And providing you're building within the limits of your battery, is of little relevance. As a mech has less voltage, after each hit, any wish for consistency, is a none starter.

if you're just starting on the mech path. Ignore what you are used to. Build coils, within your batteries limits, and find the builds that suite your mech and Atty, as you learn the ropes.
I think that because we, quite rightly, place so much emphasis on the math of ohms law, people tend to think they need the same precision, in all things mech. This is how people get hung up, on the minutiae.

Running a mech is one long, very enjoyable, experiment.

Thanks guys! Yeh after I typed it I realised the error of my thought process lol. Like how could you get within like 5 watts when youd have to build to 0.17X.

I guess it was more theoretical than something to actually put into practice. As mooch had said how does all this relate to the real world lol.

Thanks for that video, it reaffirms that threads and contact point cleaning is far more important.

I think the best option is to put on my 0.29 build that I'm using at the moment and see how I like it and then go lower to see how it changes :).

And of course I'll always stay inside mooches amp ratings at 4.2 volts.

The difference between 0.2 and o.215 would be imperceptible. And providing you're building within the limits of your battery, is of little relevance. As a mech has less voltage, after each hit, any wish for consistency, is a none starter.

if you're just starting on the mech path. Ignore what you are used to. Build coils, within your batteries limits, and find the builds that suite your mech and Atty, as you learn the ropes.
I think that because we, quite rightly, place so much emphasis on the math of ohms law, people tend to think they need the same precision, in all things mech. This is how people get hung up, on the minutiae.

Running a mech is one long, very enjoyable, experiment.

Yeh you posted this whilst I was watching that video and came to that conclusion before I read your reply.

Throw away all the preferences of reg mods and start a new curve for mechs. Find out a good starting point and tweak from there. Thank you :)

So the mod has just arrived, gave the thread a clean as they were pretty grim, firing well though, and thanks for the tip on airflow, I lower the air flow and get a better hit, but going to put a lower build in the atty as it's not quite where I want it lol.

I'll aim for a 0.18 build I think, that will draw 23.3 amps from the battery fully charged. So it will give more head room as the battery discharges.

Sorry just explaining my thought processes just incase I'm missing something haha. I quite like my face as it is.

Ok guys, so this is what I have worked out... correct me if I'm wrong. The drop is almost irrelevant as you build to the mod not ohms or wattage...

Let me explain my thinking, say you want a particular vaping experience in one particular mod, rather than say oh it fires great at 0.18 ohms, if you use steam engine, you can say this mod vapes great at 300 heat flux... now you can get that same heat flux from a number of builds, some will also have a high heat capacity (you want to avoid those as they will have a slower ramp up time).

Is that the key difference between a mech and a regulated device? With a regulated one you just chuck a 0.15 ohm coil on then adjust the wattage that works best for that build. Where as on a mech you have to build to the mod, using heat fluc and heat capacity, but ensuring your build doesn't go below whatever your battery can handle.

Does that make sense? So the ohms is irrelevant other than to ensure your current the build is drawing isnt too much? And is it heat flux that defines vapour and flavour more so than resistance of the coil.

I think I'm right if I have missed something (which isnt totally out of the question) please let me know:)

Or is the above simply 2 sides to the same coin?

Coil mass is a bit of a killer on single cell mechs, simple enough? LOL

Back
Top Bottom