What's new

Mech vs clickfet mosfet or PWM the vaping experience advice needed

Dozwold

Postman
Hi, has anyone got multiple device type experience here? After vaping for 3 years, I have my perfect setup and build. As I always build to 0.08 on N90, the best experience to date is on a mech. No regulated device seems to have come in close (not even a dna or yihi on any setting). Currently using a triple parallel device (Defiant Design TS) and a N90 alien build coming at 0.08. Hits like a train (when regularly cleaned). Whenever I try to recreate this mech experience with any Wattage device, I can’t even get close to recreating the smoothness and taste I get, as wattage either it Vapes too warm or not enough power. Hard to explain.

Im about to order a bespoke handmade mod (at great expense) so that I can get a bigger squonk bottle in to perfect my experience, but the mod builder suggested a mosfet (or was it clickfet for 0.08, mainly for safety reasons of battery polarity mistakes or battery sleeve accidents). If he couldn’t find a mosfet/clickfet that goes down to 0.08, he did suggest even putting in a PWM (so I add voltage if starts to lose some power as battery runs out etc) but would any of those change the ‘mech’ hard hitting train experience I seem to enjoy? I have not tried a clickfet or mosfet, but I have tried 1 PWM device before, and it seemed better than a wattage, but not as good as mech, but perhaps it was because it was a cheap device with just a basic PWM called Tesla 4).

Any comments appreciated.

You want find a clickfet that go's that low most won't go below 0.4 0.5 safely. a pwm might go that low but better off staying above 0.2 but if you realy want to that low better off sticking to a mech with good battery's

I'm yet to understand the benefit of a mosfet for anyone who knows what they're doing with mechs. Adding in extra resistance seems totally counterintuitive.

If you want to see what a good pwm mod will do pick up a dovpo vee from rainbow vape as they have a few left at £15 each.
That way you'll get the idea before you decide.
I like pwm mods and they are very close to a mech hit.

If you want to see what a good pwm mod will do pick up a dovpo vee from rainbow vape as they have a few left at £15 each.
That way you'll get the idea before you decide.
I like pwm mods and they are very close to a mech hit.

Nice one. Exactly what I will do to test. A pair of VTC5A should hopefully do the trick for such a low build :)

I'm yet to understand the benefit of a mosfet for anyone who knows what they're doing with mechs. Adding in extra resistance seems totally counterintuitive.

Its not just about knowing what you are doing... As much as I know, I have had more than one occasions where I put in a parallel the batteries the wrong way, usually through tiredness. When you get into a robotic repeat of changing cotton, and changing batteries evening after evening after evening before I go to sleep.. It can happens... ruined a good couple of sets of batteries over the years, including created some sparks and possible danger, so it’s also about knowing ones personal weakness..

It is a long discussion, easy for me as i been around electronics for 20 years but quite hard to explain but will try.

1. Mechs are loved because of the battery elasticity, when you hit fire there is a curve of power , different from any other type of control or regulation, not easy to replicate by simple electronics.

2. Mosfet, a device that acts like a switch, an electronic fire button that can handle a lot of Amps and you can fire those amps with a tiny switch, not having to need a fire button that can handle all those amps and the thick wires to the fire switch. Mosfets add a really small resistance to the circuit and in many occasions smaller than through a normal fire button ( few people know this, a proper implemented mos , and using the correct type of mos , will hit better than a simple mech)

3. Clickfet , these are complex circuits, most will have a form of low resitance protection, a battery polarity protection and lov voltage cut off . Not all are the same and some are a basic mosfet with a small switch, so easy to confuse . By the way, fet and mosfet are the same thing in vaping( all use metal oxide field efect transitors, Mos-Fet)

4 . PWM, these are mainly 2 types , normal voltage adjusters , where you have your battery voltage adjusted , a series 8.4v will give you a range of 3 to 6-7v . Pwm is used as normal linear voltage control will not support those amps withouth 10 transitors on a huge cooling surface. Pwm uses mosfets controlled with fast impulses giving the capability to run 100A with tiny parts.
Has drawbacks as you loose a bit of the total battery voltgae.
The second type are the bosster ones that are capable of creating voltage above the battery voltage , ( what some regulated mods use ).

All regulated mods use PWM , its the only way to handle those amps in such a small package. Some do it better some worse. DNA' S are good but not the best for a strong hit, they very good efficiency and control.

A good hit give the voopoo gene chips , 1st and 2nd gen drag mods hit like trains but they won't go to crazy low ohm builds.

The only way to achive a mech like hit is through a well tweaked power curve, vaporesso on the omni board 4.0 has a really good one.

Hope this helps .

It is a long discussion, easy for me as i been around electronics for 20 years but quite hard to explain but will try.

All I can say is you made it look easy and explained perfectly. This was the most complete and also interesting answer on this subject I have read. Well done and thank you. Now have an excellent base to work with (to us with very little electronic backgrounds) and I am sure many others will also be grateful when they come across this various mech vs ‘everything else out there’ question in the future :)

All I can say is you made it look easy and explained perfectly. This was the most complete and also interesting answer on this subject I have read. Well done and thank you. Now have an excellent base to work with (to us with very little electronic backgrounds) and I am sure many others will also be grateful when they come across this various mech vs ‘everything else out there’ question in the future :)
For me nothing beats a mech whether single/dual/series/triples/para-series, but the closest I've had to it personally was/is DNA200 running off triple cell lipo's - near as damn as effortless as a good series mech box, and better battery life :)

Back
Top Bottom