What's new

Mech tube/squonk

itscostingme

Achiever
Ok guys just a question really. (Maybe stupid)

We all read the posts by people asking/saying the have a just got a mech tube and what build or battery should they be using which to me and many others is scary considering how dangerous it could be. But what about mech squonkers/box mods are they just as dangerous in the wrong hands?
Is a mech a mech no matter what it is?

Please note i love the idea/look of mech's but don't own one and have no plans in the near future to get one.

I have just recently started using mechs tube and box squonker. And while I am fairly sure of what I'm doing it's sometime good just to get a second opinion. As at the end of the day if you do make a mistake it can be catastrophic. A new vaper shouldn't touch a mech they are advanced user bits of kit

Not silly asking questions. In my opinion yes, anything not regulated (with a chipset) comes with the risks of using mechs. Mechs are safe as long as the user is careful. Building crazily low should only be done if you have experience. I used to build at about 1.2-1.4ohms when I started with mechs. I’m no expert but feel confident in what I’m doing.

If people like tinkering then mechs are great, it can take a bit playing around to get the kind of vape you want from a mech. But I find it so satisfying to find builds that work for you.

I hope this mech section encourages folk to use mechs, yes they can be dangerous, but I think that really comes down to user error. There’s plenty of mech users on the forum, and are happy to share their experience. [emoji16]

Yes, a mech is a mech regardless of what shape it is. But here is the thing, vaping a mech whilst there is the potential for things to go wrong can be just as safe as any other sort of vaping as long as a few simple guidelines are adhered to:

• Make sure your battery wraps are in good condition, no nicks or tears. If in doubt replace.
  • Ensure your batteries are rated for the job, only use genuine high amp rated batteries from a reputable supplier.
  • Check your build (RDA's and RTA's) on either an ohms checker or regulated mod before using on a mech, make sure there are no shorts and the resistance is okay for your batteries.
  • Run the numbers through an ohms law calculator and make sure the amp load is below the maximum for your batteries.

Most accidents are down to user error and ignorance, as an example, the son of a friend of mine gave me a Kanger mod to look at as he was having trouble with it, on opening it up i could see the problem instantly, the battery was a no name piece of shit, it was rusty and the wrap was in tatters, thankfully it was a regulated mod, had he put this in a mech it would have no doubt resulted in another daily fail headline.

So whilst caution is advisable their really is no need to be scared, i don't want to hurt myself, i don't vape for the danger factor but i use mechs daily.

Not forgetting maintaining mechs. All threads and contacts kept squeaky clean. Not forgetting the atty’s contact (510 pin) and if need be the battery’s contacts.... [emoji16]

Thanks for the info guys.

All my tanks and drippers are built by myself wrapping myself or buying premade. And to be fair i always check and double check coils once installed to make sure they are firing correctly no shorts ect on my ohm reader ect.

I do have a wraith in the vape cupboard but not used it yet as i dont want to like squonking because it will cost me even more lol.

My main rule regarding using mech mod is - in any doubts assume it's bad. Doubts if battery wrap is in usable condition - rewrap. Doubt if your build is safe for your battery - it's not. Doubts if mech is for you - not yet, read first and make yourself comfortable with battery limits, risks and Ohm's law. Is the pin on RDA long enough to use on hybrid connection - with RDA's probably yes, with RTA's usually not (there are some exceptions but it must be safe).

Any doubt equals big big nope to me.

In regards to starting mech - I started with builds over 1 Ohm and gradually educated myself to go lower.

Back
Top Bottom