What's new

Mech battery power

nick meehan

Postman
Hi Apes,

Loving using my mech why I didn't do it sooner I don't know. I've been playing by the book and kept to all the rules and safety precautions I know but having just ordered a set of framed staples (not aliens) ohming out at 0.1ohms I wonder how people get on with it? by my maths its pulling 42A which is just over moochs MVA for the HB6.
I know never going to be a chain vape at that ohm or take long pull but I don't think any one could at a calculated 177watts of one single 18650! I don't believe my LG HB6's will have this power in it. Has my maths gone completely mad?

Apologise if im just having a stupid moment

Nope, your maths is right... 0.1ohm coil will draw 42a...
I use this for a good reference point
Screenshot_20180222-201746.png

It's scattered around the forum but we'll worth keeping

Framed staples will no doubt be quite a lump of metal too, so the ramp up time will be a bitch probably. I use plain SS wire in my mechs to achieve the results I require without the tendency to hold in the power trying to get a glow on the wire, increasing the chances of overloading the battery. My simple rule, if the battery is starting to get too warm, put it down. I like a warmish vape and try to aim for around 70W, which puts my build resistance around 0.16-0.2 ohm range, dependent on the voltage drop of the device I'm using at the time. I get a bit nervous about super sub-ohming.

I used to build all kinds of staggered fused clapton and framed stuff but once I saw the power required to glow the coil in a non-regulated device I had to rethink my strategy.

Yeah I've never let them get warm, usually have 2-3 vapes on the go so tend to switch between them. What gauge wire you using?

I'm using 24AWG SS and on a 2.5ID this gives me 0.17 on 7 wraps, 0.18 on 8 wraps and 0.2 on 9 wraps. I start at 9 wraps and work down till I hit the temp of vape I like. These are dual coil setups.

I know folk who build lower than 0.1 ohm and I have a few times gone as low as 0.07ohms.
Was using flattened SS wire and the guys were using similar or standard wire.

But I made damned sure the battery was in tip top condition and every part of the mech was all ship shape.
Way too warm a vape for me and the constant worry over damaging the cell and my tube was too distracting.
So, you can build lower but it is ENTIRELY at your own risk and ONLY if you know what the frak you are doing.

I hate to bang on and keep re-advertising the damned stuff ( and still no getting a finders fee fae Stealthvape for it!!!) but, if you want a coil with plenty surface area and a lot less metal to heat up than a fancy coil, go get the Brochrome/flattened Nichrome. 24 or 25g is just peachy keen.

I did get some flat wire 21g ni80 but it's just too beefy. Build are way too low. Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom