What's new

Just bought my first mech

Cromulent

Initiate
I bought my first ever mech mod yesterday and I'm looking forward to it arriving. I want to see what all the fuss is about. I bought the Hugo Squeezer so I'll be using it with the Recurve RDA and squonking on it.

I'll get a couple of Samsung 30T batteries for it.

I bought my first ever mech mod yesterday and I'm looking forward to it arriving. I want to see what all the fuss is about. I bought the Hugo Squeezer so I'll be using it with the Recurve RDA and squonking on it.

I'll get a couple of Samsung 30T batteries for it.

Hey Cromulent and congratulations on your new mech mod!

Mechs are really cool once you get to know them and since you mentioned it was your first ever, I wanted to take the time and give you some tips to keep you safe.
No1 would be to definitely look into Ohms law if you have not already: Mechanical mods don't have all the safety features as variable wattage mods do, so it's critical you keep an eye on your battery discharge rates, battery amps, atomizer resistance and most importantly if they all play nice together. Having a battery discharge more than it is rated to could spell disaster.

No2 would be to keep your contacts clean: Mech mods rely on conductivity more than anything and they mostly feature either stainless steel, Silver, copper or Gold contacts. Over time, these will deteriorate and get dirty, this is where voltage drop is evident so cleaning your contacts regularly is good practice, as well as the rest of the mod also.

No3 is cleaning of the device itself: When building, scraps of wire can sometimes fly around and lodge themselves into your mod. If you aren't careful, they could cause a potential short etc. This could also happen when carrying the device in your bag, pocket or jacket. With that being said, please make sure you keep everything as clean as possible :).

No4, building: There's one thing I tell anyone who wants to start building is to get an Ohms reader. This gives you a very accurate Ohms reading which will help in building but most importantly, it's safe! Building on your mod can be dangerous, so I always recommend building on an Ohms reader and some even allow you to fire the coils and check for shorts.

Finally, No5 is Always locked your mod: Seriously, if you are not using it just lock it. the last thing you want is the mod going off in your pocket until the coils burn the cotton. other than that, if you decide to be brave further down the line and build on your mod, you will probably burn a finger or two if you're not careful. I know it sounds dumb but accidents happen and trust me, those burns are not fun!

I hope this helps and good luck with your unregulated adventure!
Yianno.

Hey Cromulent and congratulations on your new mech mod!

Mechs are really cool once you get to know them and since you mentioned it was your first ever, I wanted to take the time and give you some tips to keep you safe.
No1 would be to definitely look into Ohms law if you have not already: Mechanical mods don't have all the safety features as variable wattage mods do, so it's critical you keep an eye on your battery discharge rates, battery amps, atomizer resistance and most importantly if they all play nice together. Having a battery discharge more than it is rated to could spell disaster.

No2 would be to keep your contacts clean: Mech mods rely on conductivity more than anything and they mostly feature either stainless steel, Silver, copper or Gold contacts. Over time, these will deteriorate and get dirty, this is where voltage drop is evident so cleaning your contacts regularly is good practice, as well as the rest of the mod also.

No3 is cleaning of the device itself: When building, scraps of wire can sometimes fly around and lodge themselves into your mod. If you aren't careful, they could cause a potential short etc. This could also happen when carrying the device in your bag, pocket or jacket. With that being said, please make sure you keep everything as clean as possible :).

No4, building: There's one thing I tell anyone who wants to start building is to get an Ohms reader. This gives you a very accurate Ohms reading which will help in building but most importantly, it's safe! Building on your mod can be dangerous, so I always recommend building on an Ohms reader and some even allow you to fire the coils and check for shorts.

Finally, No5 is Always locked your mod: Seriously, if you are not using it just lock it. the last thing you want is the mod going off in your pocket until the coils burn the cotton. other than that, if you decide to be brave further down the line and build on your mod, you will probably burn a finger or two if you're not careful. I know it sounds dumb but accidents happen and trust me, those burns are not fun!

I hope this helps and good luck with your unregulated adventure!
Yianno.

Yianno what you mean with number 5 mate. Remember putting a aspire Atlantis on my mech years ago, I wasn’t aware the 510 needed to be protruding. That burnt my finger and taught me a lesson I won’t forget [emoji23]

Enjoy your new device when it arrives and remember, any questions, ask first before pushing that button :D

Thank you all for the replies they were beneficial.

@UKECIGSTORE Thank you for the detailed help. That was helpful. I have a decent idea of Ohms law already, but I didn't think about keeping the contacts clean. I'll also have to make sure I don't over discharge the batteries. I'm not sure how I'll figure that one out though. I guess I'll learn from experience.

Hope you enjoy your new toy but before you use it just remember to do all your home work first if you haven't already......
All most forgot to mention you will also need a ohm meter if you have not got one before using a mech mod.....

Hope you enjoy your new toy but before you use it just remember to do all your home work first if you haven't already......
All most forgot to mention you will also need a ohm meter if you have not got one before using a mech mod.....

I've got a single battery Ohm reader but I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual battery Ohm reader as the single battery one struggles with dual coil RTAs / RDAs.

The Coil Master 521 Tab Plus looks like what I want.

I've got a single battery Ohm reader but I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual battery Ohm reader as the single battery one struggles with dual coil RTAs / RDAs.

The Coil Master 521 Tab Plus looks like what I want.
Thats the one you what you can use single or dual batteries or usb with that one.......

I second the contacts thing above.
You can tell when a good contact isn't made so make sure they're clean and things are adjusted to make sure the contacts are in the right place for the battery you've put in. Batteries can be off by up to 1mm, so understand where your adjustment points are (unless you have a spring loaded top cap or button connector.

Also, the contacts can be too tight. If that's the case, don't force it when you're screwing the case back together as you may damage the battery and cause a short. Again, use the provided adjustment screws to make sure the battery is snug but not being compressed

Back
Top Bottom