What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Interested in Mechs after advice and reccs.

Nevyn

Postman
Hi Vapers,
How you doing today? I am interested in Mechs. I have been vaping for a good few years now and have a good range of RDA's RTA's and mods to go with them about 20 mods. I mostly smoke DL but sometimes MTL. I build some of my own coils.

My questions are;
1) Why mechs, what do they have over regulated mods?
2) What Mechs would you reccomend for begining with?
3) What should I look out for ie warnings

Thanks for your thoughts on these.

Intresting to see answers to this, other than aesthetics I don't see the point, I've bought 4 ( I think ) over the years I've been vaping and other than initial goes they've gathered dust!
That's not a criticism thats just my experiance and I didn't go for expensive stuff either.

IMO they have nothing over regulated mods really, if you're supplying enough power to your coils with your regulated device then it's exactly the same.

I like the novelty of a mech tube though.

Mechs are fun. Safety is obviously important (so keeping the mech maintained and making sure battery wraps are all fine), but there is something really satisfying about putting the right build in an atty and that's it, you're away.

As for a place to start, I'm a bit out of the loop these days. Timesvape make reasonably priced mechs that perform well.

Hi Vapers,
How you doing today? I am interested in Mechs. I have been vaping for a good few years now and have a good range of RDA's RTA's and mods to go with them about 20 mods. I mostly smoke DL but sometimes MTL. I build some of my own coils.

My questions are;

Thanks for your thoughts on these.

I think it's about suitability and what you are used to, I've used them before but they just don't work for me now .. I vape MTL on a 0.7ohm SS coil, around 11 or 12w, all day every day. On a mech that's going to be giving me 25w on a new battery and I don't want to vape MTL at 25w. Which means I'd have to use thinner wire than I want to, or a different wire than I want to or use more wraps than I want to, just to create more resistance to get less wattage. It's not going to vape the same as I'm used to either way.

I do like the simplicity and the robustness of a mechanical mod though.. and those tiny 3D printed squonk boxes were pretty cool too. I do understand why people like mechanical vapes but they don't really suit how I vape any more. I do have a little Vaponaute set up though, so if the vaping shit ever does really hit the fan all I need is an 18350 and a bit of wire and I'll be good. :)

Why not. I never tried a regulated mod.
Why would I use a regulated mod? Mechs last forever.

I never recommend mechs unless someone has clearly done all their homework and knows what is safe and has a good idea of what to expect from a mech. In any case my mechs are old enough you can not find them anymore.

You should play with ohms law and coil building calculators to work out what is safe and find out if you are able to get the sort of vape you like and what sort of mech would be rquired to get the vape you want.

Hi @Nevyn For me vaping is 80% about nicotine and 20% about being a hobbyist. Like you, I was a couple of years in and well set up with sub-ohm vaping, coil building, mixing etc, before turning my attention to mechs, and I love 'em:2thumbsup: I have a couple of clone tubes and a couple of Pulses which I use in rotation daily (usually in the evenings); after a long, hard day there is nowt hits that spot like a mech on a full 21700:excited: So long as you FULLY understand your Ohms' Law and apply it strictly to your mechlife it's another interesting strand to a great hobby.

I own a lot of mech tubes.

What I like about mechs is their simplicity and the fact that if they don't fire or you get a 'hot button' they are easy to fix - 99% of the time it means the button/threads need a clean.

Everything else about mechs is a con - no safety features, not a good idea to carry them in your pocket, you never get a consistent vape as the wattage drops with the battery voltage, you have to clean them constantly, you can't use attys without protruding pins, can't use stock coil tanks, it may set fire to your face if you get a short or the battery goes thermal etc etc.

I would advise anyone thinking about buying a mech to buy a simple regulated external battery mod that has battery voltage only output with no wattage or voltage adjustment. - if they are happy building to a suitable resistance to give a satisfying vape - and don't mind the vape temperature dropping then MAYBE they should buy a mech if they practice battery safety and know ohms law.

But to be honest, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one even though I collect the damn things.

a-farmer-using-oxen-to-prepare-a-paddy-field-for-rice-planting-bali-F21JWT.jpg
1. Nothing other than perhaps personal aesthetic appeal if over-priced metal tubes make you horny. Just downsides really, especially wasting hours of your life on maintenance (simple does not equal ease) and studying Ohm's Law
2. None, go regulated
3. Watch out for old skool twats who recommend them and/or try to offload one of the dozens they squirrelled away in case of a zombie apocalypse, the world being zapped by an electromagnetic pulse or any number of insane fantasies dreamed up by these deluded preppers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom