What's new

How to measure your batteries?

Subohmoctopus

Postman
Hey everyone,

I have an intellicharger New I2 dual battery charger. I think its a good battery charger but the issue I have is it doesnt read volts/amps/resistance like the more expensive ones.

I dont want to buy an expensive battery charger that reads ohms and resistance because i already have my intellicharger I2 and ive recently splashed the cash a bit vaping.

For the past hour ive been looking through searches on how you can measure a Li-ion 18650 battery to see its voltage. The only things i can find are people doing tests on them using things like ohm meters but with this approach I cant figure out how to correctly do it with one because of the variables such as internal resistance which you have to use to calculate the actual voltage of the battery and I dont want to mess it up and have my new mech mod explode my dick off from my pocket when it arrives after i start using it and the batteries start to wear down.

I was wondering if anyone had any information about this im potentially missing?

Thankyou :)

AS long as you buy decent batteries from a reliable source and build the mech within the limits of the battery (check Mooch's ratings) you should be fine. To check the internal resistance of the battery is not so easy but a good barometer is the amount of voltage sag you get on a regulated mod increasing or a quicker charge time on your charger.

AS long as you buy decent batteries from a reliable source and build the mech within the limits of the battery (check Mooch's ratings) you should be fine. To check the internal resistance of the battery is not so easy but a good barometer is the amount of voltage sag you get on a regulated mod increasing or a quicker charge time on your charger.

I have the LG HB6 batteries from fogstar.co.uk which i believe is a reputable source. I plan on building at around 0.3 to 0.4ohms and the batteries are 30amp cont discharge (ive done a lot of extensive reading on ohms law and batteries)

Im concerned about as the batteries age i will have no way of knowing if the married pairs get start getting too far apart in voltage or if they drop to something like 3.5 volts at max charge because of increased internal resistance from usage

I have the LG HB6 batteries from fogstar.co.uk which i believe is a reputable source. I plan on building at around 0.3 to 0.4ohms and the batteries are 30amp cont discharge (ive done a lot of extensive reading on ohms law and batteries)

Im concerned about as the batteries age i will have no way of knowing if the married pairs get start getting too far apart in voltage or if they drop to something like 3.5 volts at max charge because of increased internal resistance from usage
You'll notice one battery taking significantly longer to charge & % shown on charger when you first put them in will show a difference ie one will be at 30% & other higher or lower. You could always use a multimeter to check batteries when swapping to see what voltage they've dropped to.

You can check out info on the web to check out how to accurately assess the batteries. In reality you will start to notice changes even on a mech as the batteries age. They wont last as long, they will 'charge' more quickly and won't have the same hit when first put in. As you won't be stressing those HB6's you should get long life from them.

You can check out info on the web to check out how to accurately assess the batteries. In reality you will start to notice changes even on a mech as the batteries age. They wont last as long, they will 'charge' more quickly and won't have the same hit when first put in. As you won't be stressing those HB6's you should get long life from them.

Thanks a lot for the info! I cant find any info on how to assess batteries, do you mean info on how to calculate the voltage? I was searching for about an hour but couldnt really find anything i could try

You'll notice one battery taking significantly longer to charge & % shown on charger when you first put them in will show a difference ie one will be at 30% & other higher or lower. You could always use a multimeter to check batteries when swapping to see what voltage they've dropped to.
Yeah that's what i looked at, someone using a multimeter, but just hooking batteries up to a multimeter isnt apparably a reliable reading because of the internal resistance factor and couldnt find anything that i could fully understand on how to accurately read the voltage of an 18650 Li Ion battery with a multimmeter after aeaechong for about an hour! :(

Im mainly concerned about this, which i saw on a forum happening in my stacked series mech tube mod

"Measure the voltage of both batteries after charging. They need to be the same voltage, or very very close. If they are way off, one will pull from the other and over discharge the lower one possibly causing an overheat condition."

I think this person might be confused with it working like a parallel mod though becaise i believed that stacked series batteries shared the same amp load (and volts?) And that one didnt draw more than the other but they sort of act like one single giant battery if you think about it in terms of it being in a circuit

Last edited:
Yeah that's what i looked at, someone using a multimeter, but just hooking batteries up to a multimeter isnt apparably a reliable reading because of the internal resistance factor and couldnt find anything that i could fully understand on how to accurately read the voltage of an 18650 Li Ion battery with a multimmeter after aeaechong for about an hour! :(

Im mainly concerned about this, which i saw on a forum happening in my stacked series mech tube mod

"Measure the voltage of both batteries after charging. They need to be the same voltage, or very very close. If they are way off, one will pull from the other and over discharge the lower one possibly causing an overheat condition."

I think this person might be confused with it working like a parallel mod though becaise i believed that stacked series batteries shared the same amp load (and volts?) And that one didnt draw more than the other but they sort of act like one single giant battery if you think about it in terms of it being in a circuit
For 2 batteries if they are in parallel the voltage stays the same and the amp limit is doubled, in series the amp limit is the same as for 1 battery and the voltage doubles.
The wattage capabilities in each case remain the same, watts = amps x volts.
Batteries in series are more prone to the problems you mentioned above, more so when there are 3 or 4 in series. If you have a multimeter check the voltages every so often to make sure they are consistent and check out Youtube for Mooch his videos may interest you, I am not a battery expert he is.

For 2 batteries if they are in parallel the voltage stays the same and the amp limit is doubled, in series the amp limit is the same as for 1 battery and the voltage doubles.
The wattage capabilities in each case remain the same, watts = amps x volts.
Batteries in series are more prone to the problems you mentioned above, more so when there are 3 or 4 in series. If you have a multimeter check the voltages every so often to make sure they are consistent and check out Youtube for Mooch his videos may interest you, I am not a battery expert he is.

Ive checked out mooch on YouTube which is mainly what raised these concerns. As ive said before i can't find any info on how to calculate the true voltage whilst considering internal resistance of batteries which i could understand. Simply measuring volts on a multimeter doesn't give a true voltage reading because of the internal resistance and how the battery will act when highly stressed

Ive checked out mooch on YouTube which is mainly what raised these concerns. As ive said before i can't find any info on how to calculate the true voltage whilst considering internal resistance of batteries which i could understand. Simply measuring volts on a multimeter doesn't give a true voltage reading because of the internal resistance and how the battery will act when highly stressed
No one can magically see that so the whole point is not to highly stress your battery's

Back
Top Bottom