What's new

Fortune OB machining marks or something else?

StuPot

Achiever
As above..

If I remember rightly the Fortune OB mods seemed to be machined very well. I got the brass 18350 out of a box, along with a Tiny Tim that I've had stored for years and found some strange rings around it. They are perfect circles so I don't think they were done from rolling around in the box.

I've had a search online and not a single picture of them has the rings so I'm a little confused. I may have to give it a good sanding to get rid of them but that will likely get rid of the engraved logo too. It's definitely genuine.

Has anyone got any idea what the hell might of happened here? Had the patina got so advanced that it started to reveal machining marks that were previously not showing?

It's a shame as they are lovely mods.
Forrune%20OB%2018350.jpeg
Fortune%20OB%2018350%202.jpeg

Don't sand it mate - you'll only add thousands of tiny scratches. At least the machining marks look ok, random scratches will look like crap. Take 10 minutes with brasso and a soft cloth, you'll get better results and you won't lose the logos.

Thanks @Crispycritters , I'll get some brasso. I did kind of polished it with tomato sauce which I've seen advised a fair few times. It works well but not great.

I guess it doesn't look too bad, hopefully brasso will get it looking much better though.

Thanks @Crispycritters , I'll get some brasso. I did kind of polished it with tomato sauce which I've seen advised a fair few times. It works well but not great.

I guess it doesn't look too bad, hopefully brasso will get it looking much better though.

Brasso removes oxidisation/patina fast, but removing Brasso remnants can take ages. Its easier to Brasso it and then wash away the brasso residue with an old cloth and washing up liquid solutilon

As above..

If I remember rightly the Fortune OB mods seemed to be machined very well. I got the brass 18350 out of a box, along with a Tiny Tim that I've had stored for years and found some strange rings around it. They are perfect circles so I don't think they were done from rolling around in the box.

I've had a search online and not a single picture of them has the rings so I'm a little confused. I may have to give it a good sanding to get rid of them but that will likely get rid of the engraved logo too. It's definitely genuine.

Has anyone got any idea what the hell might of happened here? Had the patina got so advanced that it started to reveal machining marks that were previously not showing?

It's a shame as they are lovely mods.View attachment 265449View attachment 265450

IMG_0210.jpg

I use Autosol metal polish

Back
Top Bottom