What's new

Building for Mech Mods

Flower Power

Postman
I have to say I am confused by advice on Mech Mods I have seen. Even individuals seem inconsistent, one Youtube reviewer I watched recently in an old video was advising to build between 0.2 and 0.5 ohms, a year later the same reviewer was advising to build below 0.2 ohms. Looking recently at Creme De Vape I see the Beacon Telescopic hybrid mech for a very attractive price along with the advice not to use it for sub ohm builds. So 3 sets of advice (admittedly one for a specific device) but none of the advice fits together.

I have dabbled with protected Mech mods, my old Kanger squonk is running the beserker rda with a 1 ohm build on it and seems to operate fine. On my Wismec RX Machina I did notice improved performance under 0.2 ohms, or rather worse performance above 0.2 ohms, but was that down to the heat capacity of the coil rather than the resistance?

Obviously ohms are important, I don't want to be making a pipe bomb.. but keeping within the safe limits for Mech mods is it coil density rather than ohms that affect the warmth of the vape and enjoyment of it?

Are there any useful rules or observations to know to help those building for Mech mods, beyond simply safe resistances for batteries being used?

Editted to add:
If I was to get the Beacon Mech and put a Kayfun Prime on it, what build should I use? 1 ohm coil would be pulling something like 16 watts through it, which would be higher than I would normally go, but probably okay if I keep to higher PG juices and looked at getting my wicking right.. maybe using Fiber Freaks wicking? Would I be better off aiming for 1.5 ohms? using Stainless Steel or Ni80 28 or 30 AWG?

Last edited:
So many questions, so I’ll miss something here.

The key takeaway from any advice I now give is this: Mechs are bollocks.

The only reason to buy and use a mech these days is aesthetic - if you prefer the look of a mech then go for it. Otherwise why limit yourself to the continually diminishing returns of a declining cell? This comes from someone who only ever used mechs and had shelves of the miserable things.

Not any longer.

Now, builds. It totally depends on the atty, the wire, the juice and the coil. In other words, there isn’t a recommended build for use with a mech because there are too many variables. Plus, in my humble opinion, 99% of YouTube reviewers are absolute cockends and give really shit advice.

A bit like this post.

But, what you have to remind yourself, is that this post is being written by someone who is lying in bed naked and has the dopey expression of a person who’s just had great sex. Well, thought about great sex. This counts for a lot - and you’ll not see that on your bloody YouTubes.

Pronhub, maybe?

My favourite build for the Prime involved a hammer, a bin and copious amounts of alcohol. I don’t like the Prime. I liked the KFL though, that used to get a 70%VG juice and a 1ohm coil on a fresh 18650.

I do like the Rose V3, it’s what I vape my custards with. It’s got a 1.23ohm coil in, but I had to check just now because it doesn’t matter because it’s on a VW mod. I just dial in the wattage to suit and away I go until it’s time to swap the batteries. A consistent vape, every vape.

And that is why all cats are bastards.

Sorry, wrong thread.

And that is why all mechs are bollocks.

It seems like you've already figured out that coil resistance is only part of the picture. Getting that perfect build on a mech is a balancing act between resistance, coil mass, position, airflow, material, coil style, wraps, diameter, spacing, and wicking. That probably makes it sound harder than it is but it's all part of the "fun". It's still fun for me anyway.

That said, if I was vaping a Kayfun Lite on a stick I'd get a Dani V3 and vape it in TC like all the other groovy posh dads.

Well the Dani V3 is £300 and the Beacon mech is £20.

I would love a Dani, but that is well above my vaping budget, and I have never got on with temperature control.. I hate getting temperature protected warnings and having to wait before it lets me vape again.

I have a Rose clone along with a Dvarw on its way to me.. (last seen heading to Heathrow on Sunday).

I like the form factor of tubes, I have two 101 Ehpros with Doggystyles on. Just wish they were a bit shorter, the space taken up by the board and screen makes them just a bit too long to be comfortable in a pocket and in 18350 mode I would need to carry spare batteries for anything more than a trip to the shops or taking the dog for a walk.

My experience with the beserker on the kanger drip box has been that the battery seems to last a long time giving a consistent vape, I think the regulation on it is just protections, it isn't boosting the battery power... so for a relatively high ohm build a Mech should, I would have thought anyway, be reasonable mod to use with a mtl tank??

Last edited:
I'm sure it can work. A lot of people used to vape that way with all kinds of attys before regulated mods were any good. And yeah you should get long battery life. As a dripper/squonker, I feel like RTAs are already too fiddly to get dialed in so I personally wouldn't use them with a mech. Ok that's not true I use a Sapor Mini on a SMPL sometimes, but still.

Did you see that Ehpro just came out with a new Mod 101 Pro? 21700 and hopefully it will address some of the issues with the old one.

So many questions, so I’ll miss something here.

The key takeaway from any advice I now give is this: Mechs are bollocks.

The only reason to buy and use a mech these days is aesthetic - if you prefer the look of a mech then go for it. Otherwise why limit yourself to the continually diminishing returns of a declining cell? This comes from someone who only ever used mechs and had shelves of the miserable things.

Not any longer.

Now, builds. It totally depends on the atty, the wire, the juice and the coil. In other words, there isn’t a recommended build for use with a mech because there are too many variables. Plus, in my humble opinion, 99% of YouTube reviewers are absolute cockends and give really shit advice.

A bit like this post.

But, what you have to remind yourself, is that this post is being written by someone who is lying in bed naked and has the dopey expression of a person who’s just had great sex. Well, thought about great sex. This counts for a lot - and you’ll not see that on your bloody YouTubes.

Pronhub, maybe?

My favourite build for the Prime involved a hammer, a bin and copious amounts of alcohol. I don’t like the Prime. I liked the KFL though, that used to get a 70%VG juice and a 1ohm coil on a fresh 18650.

I do like the Rose V3, it’s what I vape my custards with. It’s got a 1.23ohm coil in, but I had to check just now because it doesn’t matter because it’s on a VW mod. I just dial in the wattage to suit and away I go until it’s time to swap the batteries. A consistent vape, every vape.

And that is why all cats are bastards.

Sorry, wrong thread.

And that is why all mechs are bollocks.
You alright Mawsley?

There is a factor that is very important, but often forgotten.

Some mechanical aren't suitable for sub ohm builds, due to the inner workings of the mech. It seems like the beacon is one of them.

Some mechanical aren't suitable for builds below 0.5, for the same reason.

The beacon is a old design.

Back
Top Bottom