What's new

Build for first mech

Hi everyone,
Been trying to do some research on ohms law, feel like I'm back in school doing maths exams lol.

Am I right in thinking it's all about what resistance coil you make and the amp capacity of your battery?

I'm going to increase the resistance of my build to 0.22 ohms or higher,
So with a fully charged cell 4.2v ÷ 0.22 = 19.09 amps,
Safe zone to vape if my battery has 20 amp capacity?

Am I on the right track here guy's??

Doing good so far.
Some more homework for you.

Work out what wattage your normal build will draw from your cell.
You might find your normal build is not going to do what you want. Perhaps more watts than you want.

Now if you want about 60w work out what res coil will get you 60watts
Check if the amp draw for this is safe.

Build to that. See what you think then adjust your next build up or down depending on whether you want more or less watts.

Consider what @bestkeptsecret said about paralell mechs. There is more to safe mech use than amp draw. If you get a short or an autofire situation shit will happen much faster if you are pushing the safe limits of your cell or cells. Why start off pushing the bounds of what a cell can safely handle.

My worst mech mistake was in my early days of mech use. I did not recognise a design flaw in the mech that made it prone to autofire. I left it firing for possibly 15 or 20 mins, When I noticed it was very hot the battery wraps were receding and were not far from exposing the neg side of the battery at the pos end. The magnets at the switch had enough heat to cook them enough that they lost most of their magnetism and were no use anymore. I am surprised my rda 510 insulator did not melt causing a short, needless to say the battery was no longer safe.

That was with a build using less than 5amps. Totally my stupid fault. It is always your own stupid fault if something goes wrong with a mech. Always, 100% of the time. On a regulated mod it might be your fault (vaping in the shower) or it might be a fault with the mod (a failure of a chip). Working out amp draw on cells is important but is far from all you need to know to vape safely on a mech.

Understanding the equipment you buy is just as important. Eg. do you always know where that little bit of wire goes when you clip the legs of your coil? This is far more important building coils for a mech than for a regulated.

You are doing your homework. That is how it should be. It is your face. But why start off pushing safe amp limits on a device you have not got to know yet.

Good luck.
Vape safe.
Enjoy.

Furthermore, the atomiser choice has a bearing on the warmth of the vape too, tighter airflow and chamber size can make a vape warmer without having to go crazy low on resistance.

Doing good so far.
Some more homework for you.

Work out what wattage your normal build will draw from your cell.
You might find your normal build is not going to do what you want. Perhaps more watts than you want.

Now if you want about 60w work out what res coil will get you 60watts
Check if the amp draw for this is safe.

Build to that. See what you think then adjust your next build up or down depending on whether you want more or less watts.

Consider what @bestkeptsecret said about paralell mechs. There is more to safe mech use than amp draw. If you get a short or an autofire situation shit will happen much faster if you are pushing the safe limits of your cell or cells. Why start off pushing the bounds of what a cell can safely handle.

My worst mech mistake was in my early days of mech use. I did not recognise a design flaw in the mech that made it prone to autofire. I left it firing for possibly 15 or 20 mins, When I noticed it was very hot the battery wraps were receding and were not far from exposing the neg side of the battery at the pos end. The magnets at the switch had enough heat to cook them enough that they lost most of their magnetism and were no use anymore. I am surprised my rda 510 insulator did not melt causing a short, needless to say the battery was no longer safe.

That was with a build using less than 5amps. Totally my stupid fault. It is always your own stupid fault if something goes wrong with a mech. Always, 100% of the time. On a regulated mod it might be your fault (vaping in the shower) or it might be a fault with the mod (a failure of a chip). Working out amp draw on cells is important but is far from all you need to know to vape safely on a mech.

Understanding the equipment you buy is just as important. Eg. do you always know where that little bit of wire goes when you clip the legs of your coil? This is far more important building coils for a mech than for a regulated.

You are doing your homework. That is how it should be. It is your face. But why start off pushing safe amp limits on a device you have not got to know yet.

Good luck.
Vape safe.
Enjoy.

The other big thing is Vsag and Vdrop. I wouldn't be surprised if that catches a lot of people out leading them to damage the cell that way @lewisg2 take a look at this for your VCT5A

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attachments/image-png.562143/

With a 0.17R coil you probably wouldn't want to be taking that cell past 3.1V to make sure the V drop on firing doesn't take you below 2.4V causing damage to it.

Operating that cell between 4.2 and 3.1V is going to give you a Watt range of 103.8 - 56.5 on a 0.17R coil. A 0.2R coil will give you a range of 88.2- 48.1W

The other big thing is Vsag and Vdrop. I wouldn't be surprised if that catches a lot of people out leading them to damage the cell that way @lewisg2 take a look at this for your VCT5A

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attachments/image-png.562143/

With a 0.17R coil you probably wouldn't want to be taking that cell past 3.1V to make sure the V drop on firing doesn't take you below 2.4V causing damage to it.

Operating that cell between 4.2 and 3.1V is going to give you a Watt range of 103.8 - 56.5 on a 0.17R coil. A 0.2R coil will give you a range of 88.2- 48.1W

Correct me if I am wrong (anybody) surely the point that over discharge of a cell damages it is the voltage from the cell when it is not under load. rather than the voltage achieved after accounting for voltage drop when you fire the coil.
It is not an issue for me because my builds never draw more than 10a and more normally half that, and I replace them by the time they are around 3.5v and absolutely before 3.2v.

@lewisg2 make sure you watch Mooch's youtube video series "Minding your mahs" and "Minding your mechs" to double check that safety info on cells you get on here is correct.

Thanks everyone I've got a lot more research to do. I'll check back in after I've done my homework :)

Kudos for coming and asking and kudos again for actually listening to the advise. We get many on here coming to ask but they go mental when they are told what they are using is dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom