What's new

Batteries

Adcua

Postman
Hi all,

Looking to get my first mech, done enough reading to understand ohms law but wanting to know if it's safe for a single 30amp battery to be fired at 110W?

Looking to use a dual alien build at 0.16 resistance, at 4.2V it would be 110W. I've heard you shouldn't use a single 30amp battery over 90W?

Ok, I thought this. Wanted to clarify first though.

Any mechs people recommend?

Just another thought, what cell are you referring to as rated at 30A?

Not sure yet, depends what the mech takes I will buy batteries to suit.

I will buy whatever Fogstar have listed as rated by Mooch at 30A.

Hi all,

Looking to get my first mech, done enough reading to understand ohms law but wanting to know if it's safe for a single 30amp battery to be fired at 110W?

Looking to use a dual alien build at 0.16 resistance, at 4.2V it would be 110W. I've heard you shouldn't use a single 30amp battery over 90W?

26.25A is the current draw on a 0.16 resistance at 4.2v

So as a theoretical question, yes.

In practice 'Safe' isn't a word I'd use and if your ohm reader isn't accurate to hundredths of an ohm, 0.13 ohms would be 32.31A, a big difference. In reality it might not be 'safe' for any number of reasons.

26.25A is the current draw on a 0.16 resistance at 4.2v

So as a theoretical question, yes.

In practice 'Safe' isn't a word I'd use and if your ohm reader isn't accurate to hundredths of an ohm, 0.13 ohms would be 32.31A, a big difference. In reality it might not be 'safe' for any number of reasons.

That's the problem with being fairly near the edge - it's all too easy to fall off...

Hi all,

That’s just the Mooch recommended limit in a regulated mod. Mechs are a different kettle of fish. Plus you will never get the full 4.2v from a mech after voltage drop, both external and internal.

Hell, chargers don’t actually charge batteries to 100%. They may say 100% charged but in reality it will be just short for safety reasons. So 4.2v is a theoretical pipe dream.

Most people calculate at 3.7v since that is where a battery will spend most of its time and after factoring in voltage drop/battery sag.

I don’t know of a single battery mech that puts out over 3.9v so I start there personally. I calculate all 3 to be fair just so I’m aware of all of them.

The 4000mah 30a Molicel from Fogstar will serve you well at 0.16. If you plan on going lower than that in the future then maybe go for the 3000mah 35a 30Ts to future proof yourself.

As for safe? As others have said, there really isn’t such thing as 100% safe. Regulated included.

Recommend mechs? Vindicator, Dreamer and Tauren are 3 good ones I bought recently at 3 different price points. Depends what you’re willing to spend. There’s plenty of excellent ones out there depending on your preference.

Simon made an excellent point about ohm readers too. Make sure you have an accurate one. Margins for error get smaller and smaller the lower in ohms you go. Might even be best to go for the 30Ts just for that bit of extra head room at the expense of a little more battery life.

Last edited:
Yes I understand that nothing is 100% safe.

I plan to buy premade Aliens from @Smut very soon and I've heard he's the man for coils, so as for resistance the 0.16-0.17 should be pretty spot on.

I was looking at the Molicels, but like you say the 30Ts sound the better option.

I will make sure I take a look at the 3 you recommend :2thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom