What's new

Autosol polish

30-40 years ago there was loads of choice, now there's only one or two liquid chrome cleaners.

You can though, buy an empty tin for 2.99 plus 3.65 postage, on ebay :hmm:

View attachment 246076

30 or 40 years ago cars had chrome bumpers and trim I guess..... chrome plating isn't used as much these days I guess. I don't even think I have anything chrome plated now.

30 or 40 years ago cars had chrome bumpers and trim I guess..... chrome plating isn't used as much these days I guess. I don't even think I have anything chrome plated now.

Bit different for motorbikes, at least the older ones. In the old days you could get chroming done all over the place, then it was more or less outlawed, with all the regulations and licensing etc.

Plating in general is considered not very environmentally friendly.

Lots of regulations on what you do with the nasty chemicals left over.

It's got a lot more expensive over the years.

You can get plating kits to do it at home though lol

Autosol may market itself for chrome but it leaves very fine scratches in it.

I think it is inevitable that fine scratches will be inflicted in a mech tube when polishing.

I remember how retentive I was when using the two bucket method to wash my pride and joy Audi back when I was young. Not matter how meticulous and cautious i was under the dull hue of an amber British street lamp, the finest of scratches were always visible.

The point of my question was whether or not autosol (75ml off general purpose variant) would lead to the degradation and integrity of my brass, copper and ss Kennedy’s by regularly use even if the application was used sparingly...

I think it is inevitable that fine scratches will be inflicted in a mech tube when polishing.

I remember how retentive I was when using the two bucket method to wash my pride and joy Audi back when I was young. Not matter how meticulous and cautious i was under the dull hue of an amber British street lamp, the finest of scratches were always visible.

The point of my question was whether or not autosol (75ml off general purpose variant) would lead to the degradation and integrity of my brass, copper and ss Kennedy’s by regularly use even if the application was used sparingly...
In the past when I liked shiny case on motorcycles I started using autosol.
After a while I got into proper polishing with mops and polishing soap.
You can get a mirror finish on most things with persevering but you will turn black lol.
If you get to that level of finish on Ali then using autosol will dull it off slightly.

Will do the same to stainless but would take more effort with the autosol.

It's the same with any abrasive polish.

Back
Top Bottom