What's new

Any metal worker to build a mech?

if you have enough money you can have anything you want made.
You just find a machine shop with the machines required and pay as much as it takes to do the work.

Assuming you have more money than sense the question @joe clay asks is important. Do you have enough experience of mechs to design one that would be better than one could buy from china for £20 or a top end one for a few hundred pounds.

Ideas are cheap having other people put them into effect, not so much.

EDit- Your posts after your first one were not showing when I posted this ^^^^
If you are not paying comercial rates for the work it is easier.
The quality of the end product compared to what you can buy might still be an issue.

Last edited:
if you have enough money you can have anything you want made.
You just find a machine shop with the machines required and pay as much as it takes to do the work.

Assuming you have more money than sense the question @joe clay asks is important. Do you have enough experience of mechs to design one that would be better than one could buy from china for £20 or a top end one for a few hundred pounds.

Ideas are cheap having other people put them into effect, not so much.
With regards to the work being done I work with and are friends with fabricators who can do the work for me. Im in talks with my buddy who I want to get it made for to make sure he picks the right hardware so we can take measurements. He runs his own vape shop so I'm going to leave the finer details to him but I'm getting the rest sorted.

With regards to the work being done I work with and are friends with fabricators who can do the work for me. Im in talks with my buddy who I want to get it made for to make sure he picks the right hardware so we can take measurements. He runs his own vape shop so I'm going to leave the finer details to him but I'm getting the rest sorted.

Just edited my above post just before you posted this, because I just saw some of your replies for first time. I do not know why but I have the slowest internet connection you can imagine, then some and things go strange at my end sometimes.

Find the button you are going to use, one that fits the look you want and is known to work well, and the 510 then leave it to the guys that are going to do the work.
their ideas of what they can do with their equipment will be more valid than anybody that does not know the workshop, tools and skills available..

Find the button you are going to use, one that fits the look you want and is known to work well, and the 510 then leave it to the guys that are going to do the work.
their ideas of what they can do with their equipment will be more valid than anybody that does not know the workshop, tools and skills available..
I agree buddy. Between me and my friend he's finding a button and 510 then I'm going to give them to my friend at work to get him to work his magic

I

Oh I know I can do that but that defeats the purpose of having a fun little project with something I know is mine.
You are hoping to end up with thin walls, so you are better using a length of bar so you can get it running true in the lathe. If not, you risk the boring bar breaking through. You want to drill and bore it horizontal in a lathe so the coolant reaches the cutting edge and forces the swarf out. Doing it vertical risks the drill struggling to clear the swarf, and tearing the thin wall. You can't really control hpw true the hole is on a vertical drill.
Once you have the internal bore done on the lathe, you can pull it out the chuck enough for the length you want. You can then place a tailstock centre in the bore and turn down the outer dia. and screw cut the thread. Turn it around and cut off the excess.

Honestly, it's a half hour job for any turner, and you could black anodise it after so it looks like your cap screw.

Back
Top Bottom