What's new

About to indulge

@shnazzle do you make your own coils or do you buy them
Bit of everything.
Everything from spinning round wire myself, to making coils from pre-made flapton/clapton/juggernaut, to using pre-made coils

I haven't spun my own compound wires (yet)

Ok you probably have a good idea what should work or not was going to say if you didn’t make your own ping our resident coil maker smut super nice guy tell him what your divce and RDAis your vaping on what you like/want from a vape and you won’t be disappointed with what you get :2thumbsup:

Ok you probably have a good idea what should work or not was going to say if you didn’t make your own ping our resident coil maker smut super nice guy tell him what your divce and RDAis your vaping on what you like/want from a vape and you won’t be disappointed with what you get :2thumbsup:
Methinks I shall do just that anyway. I'm just messing about. I understand the electrics part but don't quite know yet about the styles, materials vs control (wattage, TC, mech), spacing, diameter and associated wicking.
So, tons left to learn.

Just pm? I'll give it a go. Cheers matey

yes old boy just drop him a PM tell him what your using and he will sort you out :2thumbsup: a good price for qualty coils @shnazzle

Methinks I shall do just that anyway. I'm just messing about. I understand the electrics part but don't quite know yet about the styles, materials vs control (wattage, TC, mech), spacing, diameter and associated wicking.
So, tons left to learn.

Just pm? I'll give it a go. Cheers matey

Kanthal, Nichrome/Ni80 and SS can be used in power/wattage mode. SS can also be used in temp control.
Kanth is a dense alloy with a relatively high that was used in heating elements in portable heaters. Good for folks that use regulated gadgets as being dense it needs a fair kick in the clackers to get going.
Ni80 is less dense ergo has a lower resistance for a given size. Great kit for mechs due to lower res. You can use a thicker gauge wire to make larger coils with more surface area to make more vapourz.
SS be it 316,316l,317 et al, is a low resistance alloy. Dual coils of 0.5mm 316l SS with say 8 wraps will come to under 0.2 ohms. Again, good for mechs as less oomph is needed to get a toasty toot.

So, now i'll 'fess to not being the best to explain this in any way, with coils, the more metal you have generally the lower the resistance, but, if you have more kanth you need a lot more battery juice to heat it, having a lot more dense material to heat with for sure in a mech you need a lot more time and effort to reach a desired warmth level for vaping.
I suppose think of it as trying to start a fire, you have some damp wood or a pile of 2 year barn dried Birch. the birch will go up quicker but you'll need to keep adding to it more often, the damp pile will just smoulder and no warm you...

When it comes to spacing, well thats something to fiddle with on your own, I think for Temp control spacing is good, for normal people it is personal choice. Try it and see. Same with diameter, the larger the coil and the more metal the more oomph needed but the more available surface area to make vape.
Be worth you getting some 0.5mm 316l SS and a length of brochrome ( see that cheeky scamp @stealthvape for that!!) and footering about for a bit. Or play around with some numbers on a coil building app, that should give you a rough idea of what you'll get for a given material with a certain amount of wraps and diameter.
If in doubt ask on here!!!

Just trying a new build... The only prob is it comes in at 0.14. That's 6 wraps of flapton (24/32 316L)
That's dead on 30amp at 4.2v

Running the Molicell 20700A.

How much am I pushing the boundaries here?

It was actually attempt 2 because the first one came out at 0.13, which is 32A at 4.2v. Just not ready to play that game just yet :) Not sure I ever will be.

What I can say is that the 0.14 build vapes rather nicely... But, I will rip it out if you guys think it's too risky.
Happy to add another wrap

As you are new to mechs, the safest option would be to add a wrap.

Is that 0.14ohm dual coil. If so an extra wrap on each would put you around 0.16ohm/26A so a bit of a safety buffer. Personally I use Ni80 either flat (Brochrome) or Aliens.

Back
Top Bottom